Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I hate people. *sigh*

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Remember the abandoned cat?
Well, she's still here, I'm still feeding her, I'm still looking after her.
Alas.
Said kitty got into the barn somehow, and raided a sack of RC Sphynx, which is €50 per sack -- and she had a good 2kg out of it.
I mentioned that I'm pissed at the kitty in a Sphynx group, and that I'm still looking for a home for her, and that she needs to be gone by spring -- because while she's there, mine can't come outside. That the cat hisses at mine through the window. When Livvy snuck outside, fluffy went after her.
While I understand that the cat essentially lost her owner and her home... I cannot risk mixing her into mine. I can't. Period. This cat is BIG, with sharp claws, and clearly belligerent toward mine.
Pixie will fight with her, I have no doubt.
I've got enough vet bills with Jez atm, I don't need more of them.
I simply can't risk it, and it wasn't MY cat to begin with. I didn't even know it was there, it suddenly turned up after I moved in.
So I was being told to "get rid of your own, since you like cats so much, that poor kitty" as well as "Oh yeah, call yourself a cat lover" and all that crap.
(Don't see any of THEM offering to take the cat...)
Anyone else would not have fed the cat, or made sure she has a place to sleep.
Yes, I'm cross that she ripped a hole into an expensive bag of cat food (which isn't easy to come by here) -- while I'm feeding her every day.
It took WEEKS to find out who'd owned the cat. Previous owner just left her. In JUNE.
When she turned up, skinny and hurt, it took a while to get near enough to see why she was limping. I fed her. I put ointment on the wound she had. She's okay now.
But with the way she acts toward mine... she can't stay. It wouldn't be safe.
Yes, I could keep mine indoors. But part of the reason for buying this place was to have a safe place where they can go outside. To not have to lock the kitties indoors all the time.
I left the group. They can kiss my heini, seriously.
Yes, I know that's harsh for the abandoned cat, but even if she stayed, she'd have to stay out of the house. (And she is trying to get inside every day...)
Can you imagine if she manages to get in one day? Then what? Pixie already fights with the other two -- and this one is twice her size.
But hey, I must be evil because I want to keep MY cats safe, and I simply cannot go through all that worry again.
What am I supposed to do?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Silke (((hugs)) bless you for caring for her as well as Keepijg it real what is right for your babies

Can you contact any local no kill shelters ? Pet rescue ?
I had a stray feral young cat in my attic ! God knows how she got in there ! Chasing a squirrel roof vent is my guess . no way I could keep her. Toby was going nuts at the ceiling before I heard her up there .
I bought a $65 trap at lowes. I went to all the neighs local business with feels cst colony etc . No one would claim her.

I took her to to the no kill shelter and dropped off extra supplies - it was the best I could do for all paws

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think you are doing the right thing. Is it hard? Sure. If you felt you could keep the cat you probably would. Many people would drive her mikes away and just dump her on a country road. Would that not be infinitely more cruel? Nothing wrong with feeding her to get her strength up and then finding her a new home. She’s probably a great mouser and needs to be on a farm in need of her help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is she feral or abandoned? There are live traps that won’t harm her. If she’s feral, perhaps you can trap her and give her to a local farm who needs a mouser. If she is somebody’s pet, she could be rehomed or taken to a shelter. People really do suck!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We had a similar situation a few years ago with a stray that moved into our garden and started bullying our two moggies and stealing their food. There's a charity in the UK called Cats Protection (is there a similar one where you are?) who were amazing. They loaned me a cage to trap him and said they'd pay to have him neutered and then would find him a home. We did say that we would take him in if we could keep him separated from our others but unfortunately the choice was taken awa from us. When I called the vet to see how he was doing after his op they told me that he'd been put to sleep as he had FIV. I was so angry that they just assumed we wouldn't want him. Anyway, I digress - the point was meant to be that there may be a charity that can help you out. I really hope you find a solution that's good for everyone x

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She's very sweet really, and very affectionate. Definitely not feral, but definitely abandoned.
I feel sorry for her, but I can't keep her around. :(
I'm trying hard to find a home for her, but if I can't in the next few weeks... I'll have to find a shelter to take her.
(They are few and far between, and if you "surrender" one, you have to pay them to take the cat. It's between €65 and €120 for me to pay to have her taken in.)

Back