Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I have a lot to learn about cats!

Teri*D

Lairian
This place has helped me with some questions, so thank you all!

I know cats sleep a lot but Chloe normally comes down when I get out of bed and eats a little, plays and hangs out for a few hours with me, for the last few days she has come down with me and east a little and heads right back up stairs to sleep. Is she not feeling good? How can you tell when their not feeling good?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've noticed that about my little buddy too. When I don't pay much attention to him he tends to be a loner but when I chase him around and pay attention to him then he gets real frisky and hyper and doesn't sleep even when I wish he would. Sometimes he stays up all day and sometimes he sleeps alot. I don't know if this helps, just my personal experience.

Teri*D

Lairian
Do her eyes look clear.
Does see lay a certain way?
Cats do sleep more when they do not feel well.

Her eyes look fine to me! As far as the way she sleeps, she has a few ways that she sleeps but mostly rolls into a ball.

How do you take their temp? and is there a special thermometer ?

Teri*D

Lairian
I've noticed that about my little buddy too. When I don't pay much attention to him he tends to be a loner but when I chase him around and pay attention to him then he gets real frisky and hyper and doesn't sleep even when I wish he would. Sometimes he stays up all day and sometimes he sleeps alot. I don't know if this helps, just my personal experience.

That is funny, Chloe does the same exact thing, runs upstairs if I don't pay attention to her :Laugh:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can use a normal people thermo but be careful when you insert it.
Also the temps of sphynx run higher then other breeds of cats.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that is where:Woo:. If you have never done this and don't feel comfortable doing it I would not. If she seems a bit off for more that a few days I would head for a quick trip to the vet just to be safe.
I don't know where you live but I know that if it is a bit chilly ours stay up stairs longer. In the winter our heat comes on at like 5-am on a timer and they run down with hubby to sit on the heat but now that it has warmed up the heat does not kick on and the cats prefer to stay under the covers a bit longer.

Teri*D

Lairian
Yes that is where:Woo:. If you have never done this and don't feel comfortable doing it I would not. If she seems a bit off for more that a few days I would head for a quick trip to the vet just to be safe.
I don't know where you live but I know that if it is a bit chilly ours stay up stairs longer. In the winter our heat comes on at like 5-am on a timer and they run down with hubby to sit on the heat but now that it has warmed up the heat does not kick on and the cats prefer to stay under the covers a bit longer.

No i'm not comfortable doing that to her:Laugh:. It has been a little cool here in Ca and she does love to get under my blankets in my bed. she seams fine when she is awake and playful at times but I get worried when she sleeps so much. She is the first cat I ever had so I really don't know a whole lot about them!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you do take her temp, dont forget lubrication! Vaseline, ky, astroglide...whatever is handy! Generally it just pisses them off and their temp goes up from wrestling to take their temp....and you risk being sprayed with anal glands....keep your mouth closed.

Cats sleep on average 13 to 16 hours a day. Nofuratu did a blog about cat napping a few months ago so we looked that statistic up. You may want to read that blog.

If you are not sure if your cat is ok.....consider the following.

Is it eating? Cats eat twice a day or more, they like to graze little snacks every few hours if possible. Sphynx tend to be pigs....at least Nofuratu is.

Drinking? hydrated? Not everyone sees their cat drinking...they are sneaky about it sometimes. To check for dehydration, pull up the skin on the back of the neck and then let go, counting how many seconds it takes to snap back into place. Normal is about 2 seconds.

Eyes, if not feeling well their 2nd eyelid can start to show in the corner of the eyes closest to the nose.

Mucous membranes, gums should be pink. Open the mouth and check the gums. Pink is good. Pale gums or yellow gums, very bad. Push gently on the gums with your finger so they turn white from pressure, and then let go, count how many seconds it takes for the pink to return to that spot. Normal is 2 seconds.

Peeing? Cats should pee at least once a day.
Poop? Usually once a day.

If you are really worried your cat is lethargic, pull out its favorite toy....usually they will snap awake if it is a really good toy, or treat. If you cat is still listless and uninterested.....in their favorite things....then I would be concerned.

Nofuratu's blog is Adventures of A Naked Cat and the one on napping is called "Sleep Warrior".

Teri*D

Lairian
If you do take her temp, dont forget lubrication! Vaseline, ky, astroglide...whatever is handy! Generally it just pisses them off and their temp goes up from wrestling to take their temp....and you risk being sprayed with anal glands....keep your mouth closed.

Cats sleep on average 13 to 16 hours a day. Nofuratu did a blog about cat napping a few months ago so we looked that statistic up. You may want to read that blog.

If you are not sure if your cat is ok.....consider the following.

Is it eating? Cats eat twice a day or more, they like to graze little snacks every few hours if possible. Sphynx tend to be pigs....at least Nofuratu is.

Drinking? hydrated? Not everyone sees their cat drinking...they are sneaky about it sometimes. To check for dehydration, pull up the skin on the back of the neck and then let go, counting how many seconds it takes to snap back into place. Normal is about 2 seconds.

Eyes, if not feeling well their 2nd eyelid can start to show in the corner of the eyes closest to the nose.

Mucous membranes, gums should be pink. Open the mouth and check the gums. Pink is good. Pale gums or yellow gums, very bad. Push gently on the gums with your finger so they turn white from pressure, and then let go, count how many seconds it takes for the pink to return to that spot. Normal is 2 seconds.

Peeing? Cats should pee at least once a day.
Poop? Usually once a day.

If you are really worried your cat is lethargic, pull out its favorite toy....usually they will snap awake if it is a really good toy, or treat. If you cat is still listless and uninterested.....in their favorite things....then I would be concerned.

Nofuratu's blog is Adventures of A Naked Cat and the one on napping is called "Sleep Warrior".
Wow! A lot of interesting things to check for! Thank you!

chloe eats and drinks just fine, her gums look normal and I don't see the second eyelid. maybe i'm a little to worried because she sleeps a lot and im new to all this. she seams pretty active when she is awake so unless things change i'll assume she is fine.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow! A lot of interesting things to check for! Thank you!

chloe eats and drinks just fine, her gums look normal and I don't see the second eyelid. maybe i'm a little to worried because she sleeps a lot and im new to all this. she seams pretty active when she is awake so unless things change i'll assume she is fine.

I was alarmed when I first got snuffie because she was "new" and I wanted to play with her so much and it seemed like she slept FOREVER. But now that I've had her for a while and realized her routine I realize she is fine. She does have some days where she is up for the majority of the day. I've noticed the busier we are as a family then the busier she is getting in the way or trying to play too! :LOL::ThumbsUp: And looking back I think she actually sleeps less than my DHS cats did. They were big fat couch and lap potatoes. lol

Back