Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I messed up her diet. HELP!

Ckarro

Lairian
Hello everyone,

First of all i want to thank you for this amazing page which has heped me so much with my first sphynx. I was only a reader but now i came to the point to ask your advice, i hope to post this message to the right place and get any advice before me and my little Snow are going to the vet next week.

My Little Snow is almost 6 months. She is a bit naughty girl seems all active and healthy to me but i always had issues with her digestion (because i messed it up. Please dont judge me, i stressed enaught that i was blaming myself for even getting her and ruining her life, i still hope i can take care of her and give her best life possible).

Ps. There will be some Snow's pooping issue explained. Be prepared, sorry for that and thank you for your time.

So.... when u got her home i fed her with the food the first owners gave me. It was raw food mixed with jelly wet food. The jelly food was terrible- the smell, the ingredients and it was toooopoooo cheeep to trust (24 pence per can!). However i had to mix it with Natures Menu but i was desperate to take the can jelly out of her diet. My snow was eating and digesting well for the first 3 days (yaaaay) but then... i ran out of Natures Menu and i did not expect that it was so hard to find it in shops so i took a while to get Nature's Menu for her and then i totally messed up. I fed her different food and she started popping very vet for like 4 or more times a day and some blood too!. When i got Natures Menu back, it was some bad and good days sometimes and only after 2 months her poop became regular and Okay. But that Jelly made poop smell so bad so after talking to pet store owner, he said i could start reducing jelly. And the same night i did! But she started pooping wet again. i thought she might be better after a few meals And i gave her raw food only. And then it was a miracle she had very nice poop and less bad smell. BUT it only happened 2 times.... and then TERRIBLE diarrhea started... i went back to pet shop and they suggested i try dry food for one meal but make dinners the same raw food- i did it- and Snow had nice poopy with no smell at all and she wasnt cold as from raw food and seemed more active, also no farts!!! I was amazed by the dry food and also she did poop only 2 times a day and i thought my life changed for a better.... but there was not 3rd nice poopy.... she got very very watery poop but no smell. since then it passed 2 weeks and i tried everything- took out raw food, gave her pumpking and she was still pooping wet... so i even gave her back all raw food and then i was so desperate so went back to originally from first owners the Jelly mixed with raw and nothing worked. She poops very vet and 4 times a day.

So now is the question.... do i continue dry food, or go back to Jelly mixed with raw and if both dont make any better in few days, how long it should take to see results. And we are definitely seeing the vet soon, i just need to know what should i feed her in the morning tomorrow...

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't be so rough on yourself! It sounds like you love your baby very much and are doing the best that you can! I'm not sure what jelly food is...I'm thinking what we here in the states call wet food? Our babies get one half can each wet food in the morning and another half can each at night with free feeding dry food available at all times throughout the day. They have just turned 1 year and that is recommended for the first year. (We do buy our food from a holistic pet store and it's top quality ingredients...no fillers and preservatives etc. ) which does make a difference to. There are a lot of people that feed raw. Each baby is different and you will have to work out over time what works best for her belly to tolerate! You are obviously concerned for her best interest so she will have a purr-fectly wonderful life with you! Hugs to you both!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hugs for you and cuddles for Snow.

We're not here to judge you! Don't blame yourself. Lots of us are searching for the best food for their sphynxes cause they have diarrhea. Can imagine so well you don't want to feed Snow very cheapy jelly food and you tried something else.

When I got my boy Toa he had diarrhea for 6 months. I tried all kind of different food and meds. One thing I learned is that switching food can cause tummy issues and diarrhea. My boys tummy settled when I sticked with one food. For him it was at that time raw food. Now he's on grain free kibble cause his sis refuses the raw food.
I don't know what kind of food is the best. But reading your story I see she did well on Natures Menu (even though it took 2 months to settle her tummy) and on the jelly. Maybe you can restart with the Natures Menu. You could looks at the ingredients of the jelly foond see if you can find similar ingredients in another wet/jelly food. I have good experience with Royal Canin Gastro Instestinal (for sensitive tummy's).

Good luck. Hope you find the food that's best for Snow!

Natasja

Last edited:

Ckarro

Lairian
Thank you for your response!

I was reading that the Royal Canin seems very popular on this form. I have ordered a small package online to try it when i have a chance. I dont think it can get any worse as she is now so i really want to try this popular royal canin. Above all she is happy and playful, because i am the one who have to clean the mess after her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ckarro Awh , positive vibes sent -
So many of us have gome thru "food trials" just domt switch too often - it can take several weeks to see if a brand is working -
I actually took mine off Acana grain free - and actually have better results with Nutrisource cat and kitten food - I order it in the US at k9cuisine)
Solid poos and no skin issues -

Many have good results with the Royal canin -

It's just a matter of finding what works best for your baby - and not switching foods too often too soon -
Also a sloooow transition

You did nothing wrong - we all go thru food trials to find what works best
((Hugs and head smooches to Snow)))) you are giving her alL the best of love and care

Keep us updated often and your review of the Royal canin which will be helpful for members

Back