Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I might be a mommy (again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AthenaAura

Lairian
Soooooo,
I need your wisdom and guidance.
I found a sphynx locally that needs to be re-homed. This is her backstory,

She was a queen for a cattery for two years. She produced 2 very large litters ( approx. 7) and was a rather neurotic mom, constantly grooming her babies to the point of causing bleeding and constantly moving her babies to wherever in the nursery had just been cleaned. The breeder kept one of this cats male sons to be her new in house stud that in combination of a conflict with another female cat means this cat needs to go to a happier home. She was spayed last month :BigSmile: Poor mama has decided to become an eater chunking up quite a bit. She is lovely! She was very friendly, within minutes she was in my lap eatin' up the lovin. While conversing with the breeder another female cat came near, the breeder told me to be careful that this cat can be aggressive. Wouldn't know she was in my lap, arms on my face licking me????? The breeder was stunned, she said she has never done this and is only the slightest bit calm while she is in season (which she is). She said she plans to breed her but is fearful she may not adapt to mothering and should that be the case, would I be interested in her? UM, YEAH! However this is the female cat the the other cat is having an issue with so I could not take the one now and this one later. Besides 5 cats would be too much for us. I don't want spread myself too thin. But the chances that this cat is not a good Queen/mother might not be seen for at least a year possibly two. I felt more connected to this funky looking girl (haired ears and paws), that the other but would love to have her. I am feeling very conflicted, which I didn't not expect to feel at all. I've never met a cat I didn't want bring home. Maybe I am just overwhelmed. But that brings me to my one concern.
I've never visited a cattery. This had a very strong scent if you get my drift. With 7 cats in house, I expect something but this was overwhelming. Is this because of having an in tact male in the house? She mentioned he has not matured yet, what bearing does this have on his spraying? I work very had at keeping my 3 cat home clean, boxes, accidents etc. But this was off putting. However she gave me references, including her vet who also happens to be a customer of hers.........Help me o' wise ones!
thumb.asp

picture_20089_1__4nno.jpg

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can you pm me who the cattery is?
I have 7 cats and you cant smell them at all.
Intact males can cause a bad smell though.
That is a hard decision to make.

susi794

Staff member
I have 8 adults and several babies...and when you have a sexually active male, you are always fighting the spraying odors--but since this is also my home, I try to keep the smells to a minimum. So that means a lot of my time goes for litterboxes, bedding, food dishes, accidents, etc. When everyone was snotting or vomiting every five minutes, I was almost run ragged trying to keep up.
As for which one to choose, what does you heart say?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I did look the breeder up for you and do not know them.
Can you ask them if they scan their cats for HCM?

Brooke

Banned
...the second cat - the one the breeder said can be aggressive - is she aggressive to other cats? Is there any concern about bringing her into your home with the 3 that you already have?

I agree with Mews2much, check to see if she scans for HCM. And I agree also with Susi, follow your heart!

AthenaAura

Lairian
...the second cat - the one the breeder said can be aggressive - is she aggressive to other cats? Is there any concern about bringing her into your home with the 3 that you already have?

I agree with Mews2much, check to see if she scans for HCM. And I agree also with Susi, follow your heart!

she and the female i am looking at were butting heads as they were the queens. now that "my" cat has been spayed they are less bothered by one another. the second cat i guess is just temperamental. she is the "alpha male", if you will. she is not seeking confrontation but she is not as tolerant as the other cats. my husband expressed concerned about her being aggressive toward our other cats as well as himself and our children. i understand that. i do not want to let my desire to have another cat create tension in the home. i've never not spayed/neutered one of my animals, how much does disposition/temperament change de-sexing? In regards to odor, the older a cat is when he or she is fixed, this affects his litter box habits...? I only ask because whenever I see something regarding peeing outside of the box it says make sure to spay/neuter early to avoid this.
I asked how "my" cat is with her box and was told, just fine. never had an issue.

I am emailing her right now regarding HCM.

My heart is nesting! The second kitty is a long shot and at least 1-2 years down the road. The kitty that is need of a new home, would be welcome here and a typical breeder contract will be in place, should she not be a good fit we would be able to ask the breeder to accept her back.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good Luck to you for whatever you decide to do!

Def. find out about the HCM (dont want to be hurt down the road) and go with your first gut instinct!!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is a tough situation....I know it must be hard trying to decide what is right. I am with the others....do what your heart says to do!!

AthenaAura

Lairian
thanks for everyones support! i was a cleaning fiend last night, today while i was out picked up two more beds to add to the house. wether this means we are expecting to bring her home or not is yet to be seen. i can't stop thinking about her. my husband says he trusts my judgment and instincts. i asked the breeder if she had been tested for HCM, yes she had been. Thank goodness. I am going to ask the breeder how she would feel if we brought her home for a test run and see how she fits in.

gizmo6370

Banned
Did you get a copy of the test ? If not ask for a copy of the test....saying that's she scans....and really scan are two different things :Wink:

AthenaAura

Lairian
I can get ahold of one fairly easily. She gave me her vets info. I plan on contacting them in the am, as it is after hours now.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Go with your gut!! See your PM for additional info on the breeder! Glad I could help!! I can't wait to hear details on which kitty your getting! I'm so excited for you!!

AthenaAura

Lairian
Everyone here has really helped me come to my decision! Especially Ckutkuhn7, I can't thank you enough. I am going to bring Sissy home. If the other cat ever comes available I shall worry about that then.
Not sure what I would have done without this forum!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay! I'm glad you're giving her a great forever home! Congratulations on your new baby!:BigSmile:

X

AthenaAura

Lairian
206mstc.jpg
[/IMG]

We are home! I am beat! I picked Sissy up on Saturday. She is an absolute love, she was scratched by another cat before we picked her up so right now she is giving us all the "stink eye" and we are putting drops in every three hours. She rode beautifully in the car, despite the power window malfunction that made it impossibly to close it. Right now she is sleeping under the covers with my husband right now while I show the other cats some affection. She has made herself right at home and seems eager to please. I would love to write more but I need sleep!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh she's gorgeous!!!

Congratulations on your new baby, I hope her scratch is healing nicely.

X

susi794

Staff member
Congrats to you and to Sissy--it's good to have a home that's a forever one --that only wants to give you love and asks nothing but that you return it. I'm happy for you all, but especially for Sissy!
Hugs from me and the gang!
Susi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back