Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I need advice on kitties stools/diet. Possible colitis.

Toots182

Lairian
Hi everyone. Please, any advice or own accounts would be appreciated. I have a 5 year old Sphynx who's stools were a little on the runny side with mucus and what looked like fresh blood. His eating is normal and he is a good weight. If a little on the lighter side. He's never been a fat cat. I took him to the vets and she gave him a worming tablet (other half of it to be taken in 3 months) she changed his food to Royal cain sensitive and gave me noroclav antibiotics. I've got a appointment for 4 weeks away. I'm a week or so in and the consistency (sorry for the graphics) of his stools are sooo much better. No longer runny. But, even though the consistency is better, there's still mucus lased with blood. Now, I only changed his diet at the start to see if this would help, but seeing that there is still blood I started him on his antibiotics yesterday (I was seeing if I could avoid them). I tend to get myself really worked up and anxious if I think my cat is I'll. He is the love of my life. Does anyone know what this could be (I've read colitis) and anything else I should suggest to my vet besides the antibiotics?
He has been a dry food baby, which probably hasn't helped. I was trying to get him to change to a wet food/possibly raw diet but I would like to get this sorted first. Would a raw diet help with these symptoms? To be honest, I don't entirely trust my vet, she is very blasé and kept brushing off my concerns and asking me what I would like to do, like I have the answers! I'm looking into changing vets right now. Absolutely any insight, advice, tips and tricks will be well received.

Thank you all for any reply.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everyone. Please, any advice or own accounts would be appreciated. I have a 5 year old Sphynx who's stools were a little on the runny side with mucus and what looked like fresh blood. His eating is normal and he is a good weight. If a little on the lighter side. He's never been a fat cat. I took him to the vets and she gave him a worming tablet (other half of it to be taken in 3 months) she changed his food to Royal cain sensitive and gave me noroclav antibiotics. I've got a appointment for 4 weeks away. I'm a week or so in and the consistency (sorry for the graphics) of his stools are sooo much better. No longer runny. But, even though the consistency is better, there's still mucus lased with blood. Now, I only changed his diet at the start to see if this would help, but seeing that there is still blood I started him on his antibiotics yesterday (I was seeing if I could avoid them). I tend to get myself really worked up and anxious if I think my cat is I'll. He is the love of my life. Does anyone know what this could be (I've read colitis) and anything else I should suggest to my vet besides the antibiotics?
He has been a dry food baby, which probably hasn't helped. I was trying to get him to change to a wet food/possibly raw diet but I would like to get this sorted first. Would a raw diet help with these symptoms? To be honest, I don't entirely trust my vet, she is very blasé and kept brushing off my concerns and asking me what I would like to do, like I have the answers! I'm looking into changing vets right now. Absolutely any insight, advice, tips and tricks will be well received.

Thank you all for any reply.

@Toots182, I have a handful of nakeds and I've experienced this very same thing. So I'm only going to tell you my story, but I'm not dx your sphynx as the stories sound the same, but I'm not a vet and cannot dx him.

I used to have my nakeds on Royal Canin wet and dry food from Day 1. They had loose stools and smelly gas always. I added 100% Pure Pumpkin in the can to their wet food 2X a day and that did help firm up the loose stools quite a bit.

Then I found out about the Royal Canin food for sensitive stomachs and slowly switched to that. I found an even more positive change in their stomach issues here.

Then one day ... after a long time of this diet, I saw blood in the litter box. I freaked out and thought the worst possible scenario. My babies mean so much to me. My vet insisted it was from their diet. There used to be vomiting here as well.

As time went on, there would be more poops in the litter box that had blood. Also, as my nakeds jump out of the litter box after they went poo, they would drop a big drop of blood on my floor.

I kept going to the vet and kept being overly concerned, of course, but he kept on telling me that it's from their diet. He never told me to switch their food. He sort of knew how sensitive their stomachs were and he didn't want me to have to deal with any more negative issues in that department. He left it up to me.

Well, eventually I took the plunge. It was a long time until I decided, "Ok, this is it, I am going to find them a food that will work for them!" I did my homework and checked in with my vet and asked what brand(s) would he recommend. He recommended to me that I use Science Diet as they now make their food in the U.S. and no longer anything from China where pets can become poisoned as once happened. I knew I was going to try the grain-free variety. So now I had a set plan and was determined to give it a fair chance.

I took it really, really slow. It took me a long time to completely switch over to the Science Diet Grain-Free canned and dry foods. Well, I'm so happy to say that their stomach issues went away! I still use the pumpkin, but half the amount I used to use. Everyone's poops are all formed, no more smelly gas, no vomiting (except for once in a great while) and most of all, NO MORE BLOOD! I have seen blood in the litter box two times since the food change and I attribute it to possibly hard stool those two times. I found this whole thing to be extremely amazing as I was so, so happy. My vet was right all along. It was simply the food.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to add that there was mucus mixed with the stool very, very often! But it was the blood that really got to me.

Why would your vet give the pill for worms? Did she take a stool sample and test it for parasites? If not, I personally wouldn't want my kitties on a pill for worms. To me that is poison if there are no parasites to kill off. If the stomach needed time to calm down, I could see using Flagyl, IV Fluids and Pepcid. No other antibiotics AND if I gave my cats an antibiotic (which I do for other reasons from time to time), I always give them FortiFlora at the same time. If you are not familiar with that, it's a probiotic. I myself never take an antibiotic without using a probiotic, so I do the same for my kitties. When good bacteria is killed off by using an antibiotic, you want to make sure that you put back the good bacteria using a probiotic. Without using that here for my kitties, they would have watery stools and vomit all over my house (it's happened before I found out about FortiFlora)!

I had trusted Royal Canin and never thought it was bothering their stomachs, but it obviously did. They did do better on the special type for sensitive stomachs, but it wasn't good enough. No comparison to the diet they are on now.

Wet food is very important for a cat. If you can try to switch him to mostly wet food and only leave out the dry during certain times of the day or night, it would probably be better for him and if his dry food isn't out all day long, maybe he'll be more agreeable to eating the wet food?

I hope this has helped a bit. Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sorry that you have to experience this, it's so stressful. My Jack used to have this type of stool also. He was fully healthy, so I new it had to be from his food. I used to be canned food with kibble. I switched to raw and within one day his stool firmed right up, almost no smell, and the blood/mucous is completely gone. I have recently found a "raw" kibble which I am slowly introducing which also seems to be fine.
I'm not suggesting that raw is the only thing, but I would encourage you to research and identify new foods to try if you can't get this condition to clear up. There are so many pet foods on the market, the choice is overwhelming. Keep in mind that your cat is a predator, and needs mostly protein.

Good luck! I hope you get things resolved :)

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our Loki had the same issues as you are mentioning. And @GoldHazel and @Kate both also have similar stories.
It was an issue of diet for Loki as well. And believe me, we know what you mean when you say the blood, mucus and the smell.
Unfortunately we have tried out a few different diets for his sensitive stomach...and it's kind of a hit and miss with him.
We even had an ultrasound done the first time it all happened, because of the blood in the stool and his constant vomiting. It all started when he was just 1 year old.

But in the end it was the diet that changed it all. Raw has been the best diet for Loki. And when we switched from kibble to raw, the diarrhea went away within 4 days. Now it was still a bit soft (which we know now because he had an allergy to chicken and that is what he was eating). But now he is on raw beef, with the Better in the Raw supplement, and he is perfect!
No more diarrhea, no more vomiting and no more smelly poos.

Hope you can find something that works for your guy!
And yes, I hope that your vet would of done a stool sample before prescribing a dewormer.
Maybe it is a good idea to look into new vets.
We've been to a few, having animals almost my whole life. And there are good and BAD ones out there.
I feel so blessed that we have finally found an amazing vet for the sphynxes.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Sending hugs your way!

-Morgan

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Toots182 I just wanted to add one more thing about the diet I chose:

When I was convinced it may have been the diet that was causing all the stomach issues here, I gathered information about grain-free and the raw diet that so many members love. That's when I asked my vet what brands he would recommend, etc. He made an awful face when I asked about the raw diet. All he said was that his experiences with pets in the long run weren't good using the raw diet. He had so many reasons, but after maybe one reason I stopped him as he had me convinced not to go that route.

My friend has had her cat on the raw diet for years and years and also uses the raw diet kibble as well. Her cat just became ill out of the blue and now her vet said to get the cat off of the raw diet ASAP. That' scares me to hear that.

The other reason why I never rushed into going with the raw diet was because it's not something that really fit into my lifestyle.

Just leaving you with why I chose grain-free. The rest is up to you, of course.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
First thing, I would search and find a great Vet.
Do you have a University close to where you live.
They, are excellent to go to. With any problems you have.
Then, ask them, if they could recommend a good Vet .
Please keep us updated about your baby.
Did you look on the Vet recommended tread here?
To see if one was listed in your area?
Or just ask, someone might know one.