Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I need all the help I can get!!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok guys, I need your input. Lemmy is very active at night. I get absolutely no sleep because he is always into something. He sleeps all day. I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week and he just lays around the house and does nothing. The minute I get home he is crying and running around like a fool. Last night, he started ripping down all the decorations I have on the walls that he could reach. I have those stickers that you can put up and take down without leaving marks since I live in an apartment and when I got up my floor was covered and the walls were bare. He knocks all my pictures down off my dresser, so I have removed them. I try not to put things where he can get to them, but some how he finds a way to them. He also runs through the house like a maniac. Up a cat tree and then down and up another. If I lock him out of my bedroom at night. He will scratch at the carpet. Which I don't get since he has 3 scratching posts and 2 cat trees. He never sleeps with me and hardly ever wants attention. I am always trying to hold him and love on him, but I just end up with scratches and him hissing. I am not sure what to do with him. I feel bad that I leave him alone for 40 hours a week. But, he does the same thing when I am at home that he does when I am gone. I can not have another cat to keep him company because of my lease and he has so many toys that it seems like that is the only thing in my apartment!!
Sorry this is so long, but I would really appreciated any suggestions you guys could give.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lemmy, Lemmy, Lemmy - what to do with Lemmy the naughty. Sounds like Lemmy is spoiled, which is OK, he is a Sphynx. Have you tried the cat shelf that hooks onto a window? Great for bird watching. A video for cats? Great unless Lemmy is ADHD. How about the devices that allows him to forage for his food during the day? They are tube-like things that you put kibble in and he has to work at getting his food - great for ADHD cats.

It sounds like you are at your wits end. :Dizzy:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Candy has already given great advice. When we leave the house we always leave it on the animal channel. I'm still home with mine all day as I AM STILL UNEMPLOYED...ARGH...anyhow, do you have any interactive toys,,ones you can leave on and it makes the kitty attack it..I forget the name of it but that might be just what you need.

He is scratching at the carpet by your door to annoy you by the way. Cats want attention, whether its positive or negative, knocking things over on purpose, scratching were they aren't allowed, etc. Maybe put down a mat so he doesn't tag her carpet any.

Bella07

Banned
I have to agree, this is a tricky one. At first I was going to suggest getting Lemmy another cat for companionship....But, your lease has its stipulations.

Perhaps, if you are on friendly terms with your landlord, you could talk to him, and maybe he would allow you to have just one more little kitty? Maybe if you offered him a little more extra money each month...he'd be more inclined to agree. Plus, if you got another Sphynx, the no hair part would be appealing to him, I would think! Well, it's just a suggestion. Best of Luck in figuring out what to do!

JacksMom

Banned
I am single, and I only have Jack, and I too, work 40 hours week. Jack gets his whims of maniac-man usually late at night and otherwise is pretty easy going. I do take him to my co-worker's home 3 days a week for play-days with her 2 cats (while we are at work); however, when he is at home alone, I leave on music for soft "white noise" and it's always classical, or Enya, or Yanni. Soft music has a way of calming us humans and experiments with plants exposed to hard/heavy metal vs. classical music...well, they did not do well with the hard music. All that to say that soft calming music...well, maybe it'll be calming for your baby....I like the leaving the tv on the pets channel, too.

ktate88

Banned
1) Premier makes some great interactive toys for dogs, and cats. One dispenses food when they roll it, so it makes them work for their food.
2) There are cat toys that have ball that roll around inside so they chase them around.
3)Frolicat is great! It's a laser that works for 15 minutes at a time. Set it when you leave, come home for lunch, get in the shower, cook dinner, etc.
4)I've seen a DVD called "Catsitter" but have never tried it.
5) Try all different sizes and types of toys. Niles loves his kickaroo
6) Maybe take him on a walk when you get home...? Harness, in a stroller, or in a basket on a bike.

Another cat would help, though I understand lease limitations. It may not hurt to ask.

Last edited:
1) Premier makes some great interactive toys for dogs, and cats. One dispenses food when they roll it, so it make them work for their food.
2) There are cat toys that have ball things that roll around.
3)Frolicat is great! It's a laser that works for 15 minutes at a time. Set it when you leave, come home from lunch, get in the shower, cook dinner, etc.
4)I've seen a DVD called "Catsitter" but have never tried it.
5) Try all different sizes and types of toys.
6) Maybe take him on a walk when you get home...?

Another cat would help, though I understand lease limitations. It may not hurt to ask.

I agree, those are great ideas. Especially the laser things and walks. If he gets all his energy out he'll be calmer.

ktate88

Banned
something like this perhaps?
ThinkGeek :: Dart Automatic Pet Laser Toy

can you leave your bedroom door open so he can come and go or does he attack you to keep you awake and playing?

and im with everyone else. go all "dog whisperer" on him. IE make him work for food, wear him out, you could try to teach him tricks maybe?

Two of our clinic cats are now clicker trained! The food motivated the better

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, I live in an large apartment complex right now and I am getting ready to move back to my house in May. My husband says absolutely no more cats! I am not sure that I could handle another one. I always play with him when I get home because I don't get off until late and I don't want to walk in the dark. I try to hold and love on him as much as possible, but he is usually not all about that. I have multiple toys in various sizes for him to play with. I tried the Undercover Mouse but had lots of problems with it not working for longer than 5 minutes. I am going to go to Petsmart tomorrow and search the aisles. I am desperate. When I am asleep he will bite or scratch me or the dog. Which then wakes me up because it either hurts or the dog growls. I usually let him have the run of the apartment even when I am gone. I feel bad for him like he is lonely, but I am not sure what to do about that since I can not get him a friend. Thanks guys for all your help!

Back