Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I need recommendations

FoxBlood

Lairian
Hi all, I need recommendations for food, litter, and litterbox. Im looking at getting a bambino real soon and would like to have the right supplies on hand before I get her. Thanks in advance.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh wow. There are a ton of possibilities especially when it comes to food.

I'm a raw feeder myself but if I couldn't feed raw I'd go with canned food and kibble would be a distant last.

I like the IRIS open top litter box.

IRIS USA Open-Top Cat Litter Box With Shield, Regular, Navy - Walmart.com

For cat litter, if you can get your kitten used to pine pellets they are super cheap and don't track. They are sold as Feline Pine or if you have a Tractor Supply store near you they sell their own brand for less. If you go with the this litter, you will need a sifting litter box.....just google on sifting litter box and there are a bunch.

But my cats didn't go for the pellets so I use grass litter. There are 3 brands I know of - SmartCat All Natural Grass Litter, SoPhresh Unscented Grass Litter (Petco), and Frisco Unscented Grass Litter (Chewy). Grass litter is great in every way except that it gets kicked out of the box and tracked.

I also use Exquisicat Litter Pan Liners from Petsmart. Not a requirement, just easier to clean the box. I get the ones with the elastic band.

FoxBlood

Lairian
Oh wow. There are a ton of possibilities especially when it comes to food.

I'm a raw feeder myself but if I couldn't feed raw I'd go with canned food and kibble would be a distant last.

I like the IRIS open top litter box.

IRIS USA Open-Top Cat Litter Box With Shield, Regular, Navy - Walmart.com

For cat litter, if you can get your kitten used to pine pellets they are super cheap and don't track. They are sold as Feline Pine or if you have a Tractor Supply store near you they sell their own brand for less. If you go with the this litter, you will need a sifting litter box.....just google on sifting litter box and there are a bunch.

But my cats didn't go for the pellets so I use grass litter. There are 3 brands I know of - SmartCat All Natural Grass Litter, SoPhresh Unscented Grass Litter (Petco), and Frisco Unscented Grass Litter (Chewy). Grass litter is great in every way except that it gets kicked out of the box and tracked.

I also use Exquisicat Litter Pan Liners from Petsmart. Not a requirement, just easier to clean the box. I get the ones with the elastic band.
Do you have a raw recipe you could share? I'm looking into all options.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The easiest way to get started with raw is to begin with preground meat that all you need to do is add a supplement (aka premix).

For example, you can buy ground whole rabbit which includes bones and organs as well as rabbit meat. Or you can buy ground chicken that is a combination of meat, bones and organs. If you're on the east coast, check out the websites for Hare Today and Raw Feeding Miami. You want to buy a ground product that says it is 80-10-10 which means 80% meat, 10% bones and 10% organs.

Rabbit can be hard to find so I have recently started buying rabbit from Rabbits4U but they only sell rabbit whereas the other 2 places sell everything.

Anyway, when you get your meat, I use Alnutrin for Meat & Bone as the premix. Make sure you get this exact one if your grind has bones. All you do is mix in the powder with water, then pour the mixture over your meat and stir it all up.
www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/shop.php

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@FoxBlood in the west coast you can buy raw rabbit from this supplier.

Ground

The 2 companies I mentioned - Hare Today and Raw Feeding Miami - do ship to the west coast but in the high heat of Summer you don't want the transit time to be more than 3 days.

Meg5200

Lairian
That is what I use! I order from Oma's Pride and then add the Alnutrin for meat a bone supplement into the mix. They do free 2 day shipping when you order over $100 worth of stuff.

Meg5200

Lairian
The easiest way to get started with raw is to begin with preground meat that all you need to do is add a supplement (aka premix).

For example, you can buy ground whole rabbit which includes bones and organs as well as rabbit meat. Or you can buy ground chicken that is a combination of meat, bones and organs. If you're on the east coast, check out the websites for Hare Today and Raw Feeding Miami. You want to buy a ground product that says it is 80-10-10 which means 80% meat, 10% bones and 10% organs.

Rabbit can be hard to find so I have recently started buying rabbit from Rabbits4U but they only sell rabbit whereas the other 2 places sell everything.

Anyway, when you get your meat, I use Alnutrin for Meat & Bone as the premix. Make sure you get this exact one if your grind has bones. All you do is mix in the powder with water, then pour the mixture over your meat and stir it all up.
www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/shop.php
That is what I use! I order from Oma's Pride and then add the Alnutrin for meat a bone supplement into the mix. They do free 2 day shipping when you order over $100 worth of stuff.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Meg5200 just make sure what you're feeding is meant for daily feeding. I just checked out Oma's website and I clicked on their raw chicken blend out of curiosity. I'm seeing this:

1618357208643.png

That means the food doesn't meat the AAFCO requirements and it's not a "balanced" diet. I only looked at this one product so maybe they have other products that are approved......just make sure you read the fine print.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Here's a good thing....they're warning people not to feed kibble and raw food together.

1618357745418.png

Meg5200

Lairian
@Meg5200 just make sure what you're feeding is meant for daily feeding. I just checked out Oma's website and I clicked on their raw chicken blend out of curiosity. I'm seeing this:

View attachment 103730

That means the food doesn't meat the AAFCO requirements and it's not a "balanced" diet. I only looked at this one product so maybe they have other products that are approved......just make sure you read the fine print.
It isn’t a balanced diet, which is why I add my own vitamins that are specifically for cats including taurine. It only says that because it is just the meat, bone and organ meat. I feed the rabbit blend. So I make it complete by adding what the meat is lacking.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It isn’t a balanced diet, which is why I add my own vitamins that are specifically for cats including taurine. It only says that because it is just the meat, bone and organ meat. I feed the rabbit blend. So I make it complete by adding what the meat is lacking.
Gotcha. That is part of it but also the percentage of meat-bone-organs should be 80-10-10. It doesn't say anything about that on the package so who knows.

Even if it turns out to be "whole rabbit" it makes a difference if they are including the fur. If the fur is included the percentage should be close to 80-10-10 but if not then you're going to have proportionately too much bone. When I buy rabbit that's ground without fur I add some boneless chicken to dilute the bone. So I would find out about that. Alnutrin assumes that the meat-bones-organs are in the right proportions.

Meg5200

Lairian
Gotcha. That is part of it but also the percentage of meat-bone-organs should be 80-10-10. It doesn't say anything about that on the package so who knows.

Even if it turns out to be "whole rabbit" it makes a difference if they are including the fur. If the fur is included the percentage should be close to 80-10-10 but if not then you're going to have proportionately too much bone. When I buy rabbit that's ground without fur I add some boneless chicken to dilute the bone. So I would find out about that. Alnutrin assumes that the meat-bones-organs are in the right proportions.
You should join the Facebook page “Raw Fed and Nerdy.” The 80/10/10 rule is no longer the adequate percentages for feeding. In the end, you just do what you can to make sure your animal is happy and thriving and my baby is doing just that. I add the vitamins and probiotics that is lacking in the raw food to make it as balanced as possible. Is it perfect? Nope, I would never claim that, but at least I feel good knowing I am not feeding kibble and my cats bloodwork and check ups are perfect.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You should join the Facebook page “Raw Fed and Nerdy.” The 80/10/10 rule is no longer the adequate percentages for feeding. In the end, you just do what you can to make sure your animal is happy and thriving and my baby is doing just that. I add the vitamins and probiotics that is lacking in the raw food to make it as balanced as possible. Is it perfect? Nope, I would never claim that, but at least I feel good knowing I am not feeding kibble and my cats bloodwork and check ups are perfect.
I didn't see how much bone is in the Oma's food so I was suggesting you might want to find out from the company. Since bones are cheaper than meat, it could be they use too much bone, but if you know this you can compensate by adding boneless meat.