Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I need your help!

Bella07

Banned
Hey everyone,

So this might be a strange post, but I figure if any one could help me, then you could!
I personally, am just starting to fall in love with the Sphynx breed. It has only been a few days that I have really had a chance to learn about them, but I love what I know so far! I love what I read about their personality's, their playfullness, their attitude, how they like to cuddle up under the covers, and so on...just perfect!

So I emailed a breeder the other day asking if my family could come and actually get to meet/play with a Sphynx in person! She said yes, so I am excited :Laugh:

But, the rest of my family is very iffy on this subject. To be honest, they think Sphynx's are ugly and I quote, "Don't want to own a cat like that..." :Surprise: (Can you believe it?)

Of course, to even consider bringing a new kitty into your home, you need your family's approval.

So here is where I am asking you....it would be wonderful if you as a Sphynx owner, could write out some of the wonderful things about this breed, and why they should consider owning one! Of course, I have already given my two sense, but this could only help.

I'd appreciate it, Thanks! And Happy Easter! BigSmile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Julia,
They are very friendly cats and love to play.
My sister calls them ugly also and so did my other sister.
In fact my brother in law was so scared to touch Cleo.
I brought my sister to a cat show when I showed Cleo in Fresno last May and then I took Cleo to her house.
My nephews called her a dog.
After seeing Cleo and touching her my sister decided on a sphynx.
She now has 2 sphynx of her own and they are her favorite cats out of all 5 cats.
Sphynx are great cats.
They purr all the time and will sleep with you.
In fact my Cleo is right here on the sofa next to me sleeping.
I have 3 now and had never touched one before I got Cleo.
Can you pm me the breeders site so I can see what they look like.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have learned quickly that to meet a Sphynx is usually to love a Sphynx... There are very, very few people who can spend time around this breed of cat and NOT fall in love. They are affectionate, they are outgoing, they are funny... They are very loving cats and not the typical 'domestic short/longhair' in their personalities. They love to be with their people- they will willingly go anywhere with you, on trips, to the petstores, etc.

Almost everytime I am at the vet, I have a crowd around me just loving the babies.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think the best thing you can do is take them along to the breeder's with you...if the don't fall in love, they just might not have a heart!!:Wink:

Everyone I know starts off saying, "Oh, that's interesting..." or "Your cat looks like an alien". :Dizzy:

Once the meet my guys, however, they are ALWAYs smitten! They are the smartest, most loving cats you will ever encounter. They steal your heart!:Adore:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
To be owned by a Sphynx is nothing like any other animal or pet on the planet. There are no words to describe their magical power they have on a human being. You must endure this yourself to understand the true meaning of being owned by one of these incredible creatures. Bring your family there and spend good quality time with a Sphynx, the magic will begin, and their hearts will be stolen forever!:Laugh:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Call me Nostradamus because I am about to tell you the future. You decide to go ahead and get the kitty. Your family is quite shocked at the site of the critter. Over the next few days your family reluctantly starts growing more and more attached. Then, the sphynx has got them. The family member that was most against getting the kitty now becomes kitty's main advocate. Same family member wants another. After one year you get another. Another year goes by and you start looking to breed. Now you got a house full of sphynx's.

Everything you read about the sphynx personality is true. My Butterball is the most playful monkey around. His personality is larger than life. And what I've read and seen on this forum, everyone's sphynx is pretty much the same. Extremely loving and playful.

Watch a loving and playful furry kitty and personify that and you got a sphynx.

What the heck is plural for sphynx? I always feel like my spelling is incorrect.

J

Jinxlover

I did NOT have family approval!!!!
I wanted a Sphynx so I got one.. I told them not to look at her if they did not like her..
My hubby HATED Sphynx and my daughter wanted a "NORMAL" kitty.

They love her and all 5 kittens.. And after 2 1/2 months I think they would rehome me before they let her go.

You family will fall so in love with him/her that in a few weeks they will want another..
Most people don't know they love a sphynx, tell they have been loved by a Sphynx :Wink:.

I say go for it.. They will come around..

firehillqueen

Banned
My husband is not a cat lover. He and my siamese lived together 14 years in mutual disregard.
When I got my first Sphynx my husband repeatedly commented on how ugly Singe was. The cat adored Richard. Du came along as our second Sphynx and refused to be ignored. Richard reluctantly fell in love with them. Now Tosca has picked Richard as HER man, and he in return loves her like he has loved no other pet. So, even a hard core person can be won by Sphynx magic.:BigSmile:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
See? I'm telling you all the sphynx stories are pretty much the same. One person has their heart set on a sphynx and everyone else falls in love.

susi794

Staff member
They bring joy. They love you with their whole hearts, they reach out a paw to caress you or pull you close for a kiss. They snuggle you when you're sad, play with you when you're happy, and get into everything--especially your heart.

GioThermal

Lairian
You will never own a Sphynx.. the Sphynx will own you. They are by far the BEST breed of anything I have ever owned. I will NEVER live without a Sphynx. They don't shed, they are smart (mine learned how to sit in a matter of 2 days)... and you can train them to use the toilet. They cuddle with you, talk to you, play with you and will make you laugh like you've never laughed before. Im telling you right now... you get a Sphynx without your family's full approval and they will be thanking you shortly after your purchase. My husband dislikes animals in general and he would go crazy if we didn't have our Sphynx. We love them so much we got another one last Saturday! :ThumbsUp:

GioThermal

Lairian
They bring joy. They love you with their whole hearts, they reach out a paw to caress you or pull you close for a kiss. They snuggle you when you're sad, play with you when you're happy, and get into everything--especially your heart.

She NAILED IT!!! :BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What everyone else said. There would be a huge hole in my life if I didn't have my Sphynx.

At the end of the day, your family love you and want you to be happy. You will never be happier than when you experience all the love and joy that a Sphynx will bring into your home.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I did NOT have family approval!!!!
I wanted a Sphynx so I got one.. I told them not to look at her if they did not like her..
My hubby HATED Sphynx and my daughter wanted a "NORMAL" kitty.

They love her and all 5 kittens.. And after 2 1/2 months I think they would rehome me before they let her go.

You family will fall so in love with him/her that in a few weeks they will want another..
Most people don't know they love a sphynx, tell they have been loved by a Sphynx :Wink:.

I say go for it.. They will come around..

Jimmy wasn't too excited when I told him I was getting a Sphynx, but he knew in order to keep me he'd have to let me have whatever sort of cat I wanted. lol Now he takes photos of her cuteness daily and I hear him tell her he loves her all the time and he was talking "AGAIN" today about when we get a second one! This all from a man who couldn't stand cats when I met him!!! lol Who says men can't change!?! lol

Bella07

Banned
Awwww, thank you everyone!! Every single comment is helping! I just read them all the nice things about Sphynx's and they are becoming more open to the idea of at least meeting and touching one. They aren't as negative....So that's really good news and improvement for tonight!

Thanks!! :Laugh:

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awwww, thank you everyone!! Every single comment is helping! I just read them all the nice things about Sphynx's and they are becoming more open to the idea of at least meeting and touching one. They aren't as negative....So that's really good news and improvement for tonight!

Thanks!! :Laugh:

Julia,
I forgot to mention that *I* was the one in my family who didn't want a sphynx.:Woo:

I thought my husband had lost his mind to spend so much $$ on a cat when we could have just gone to the Humane Society:Surprise::Dizzy:

Within 2 minutes of meeting Senor Buster DelGato, my first sphynx, I knew that he was different from ANY other animal I had ever met. :ThumbsUp:

I lost my Buster last spring & brought home 2 little guys last summer. I can't imagine not having The Boys in the house...they bring so much joy to every day. They also adore our "normal" cat and have made him much more active and loving.:BigSmile:

Bella07

Banned
Now I am getting SO excited! I want a Sphynx kitty all to my own right now!!
I can't wait to go and meet the breeder, but that probably won't be for another 2-3 weeks till the kittens are a bit older.

The wait begins!!!! It'll be a hard one :LOL:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My spouse didnt like animals. His dad supported their family as a trapper, skinning beaver, mink,, rabbits etc. so he was raised with the idea of animals as a food/money source. His mother hated cats so much that she was known by everyone as the lady who would kill the neighbors cats if she got a hold of them!
Now my spouse tells everyone who will listen how much he disliked cats, but loves our Sphynx! He talks to our kitty on the phone, sleeps with him, pushed him around in a stroller when we go places.....if he can be converted, anyone can!
In fact, in Nofuratu's blog, Adventures of A Naked Cat it is my husband in all the photos with Nofur's butt in his face, giving baths, reading cat bedtime stories etc.....

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
All you have to do is get them there:ThumbsUp: The rest will be history and you will have everyone in your family begging for their own:Laugh:

tessblack

Banned
They are just beyond words. No one in the family thought this was a good idea. Husband was a dog guy, mother in law did not like cats and goes crazy if she sees anything with a rat like tail, grandma does not even like cats anywhere near her, and his aunt was disgusted.
Well let say that husband carries them to the mail box and takes them for walks. Mom comes to stay with the kitties when we are away and has a huge collage pic on her wall of them with the other grand kids. Grandma tells all her friends about them and the aunt is thinking of getting one.

And me, well they are my kids and can't see ever being without one.

susi794

Staff member
They are just beyond words. No one in the family thought this was a good idea. Husband was a dog guy, mother in law did not like cats and goes crazy if she sees anything with a rat like tail, grandma does not even like cats anywhere near her, and his aunt was disgusted.
Well let say that husband carries them to the mail box and takes them for walks. Mom comes to stay with the kitties when we are away and has a huge collage pic on her wall of them with the other grand kids. Grandma tells all her friends about them and the aunt is thinking of getting one.

And me, well they are my kids and can't see ever being without one.

Awwwww.......they love Daddy.

Back