Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I Need Your Help

susi794

Staff member
I hate to ask, but as part of a technology class assignment I am trying desperately to finish within the deadline, I am required to make a podcast of something I teach and get some feedback from friends. You are my friends and it's a Sunday--I have no one else to ask if they would look at it and give me some feedback so I can complete this assignment. It is a four and a half minute video--
Here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I thought you explained it very well and I liked how you made it into a relatable/memorable story. Having said that I played it for the 4 girls in my LR ages 10-15. All four said they were distracted by the moving yellow circle. One girl thought there was too much story that she forgot what the tutorial was supposed to be about, and another thought there was too much text to read on the slides. All of them loved yoru narration and thought you sounded caring and fun. Any mention of "Ju-Ju" had them giggling.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Susi,

That is a nice video. Your narration was great! A nice steady pace, not too fast. Very friendly-sounding. However, I was distracted by the yellow circle, too. It was nice where you were pointing out specific numbers but sometimes it just floated around.

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I love the way you've turned boring old math into a fun "fairy story" that kids can relate to. I always had trouble with math, and found that only "applied" math made sense to me. Applying the concept to a familiar story will be very helpful to children who don't respond to the dry, boring "numbers on paper" routine. Great job!

susi794

Staff member
Thanks, you guys! That was exactly the kind of stuff I needed to have! You guys are great!
Thanks so much,
Susi

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very creative way to teach rounding. I had my 2 kids watch (ages 9&10) and they loved it. They were a little distracted by the yellow circle but not too bad- maybe just highlight what you are referencing. I think this is a good method to teach kids because it will appeal to all children whether they are proficient in math or not.
Good Luck Susi:BigSmile:

I thought it was really good Susi! I had my son, who is 11 watch it as well. He liked it and said it made a lot of sense to him and could help someone learn to round numbers. I do agree that the yellow circle can be distracting. I think the use of Cinderella and FGM to relate to rounding is a great idea. It really helps explain the rounding concept and gives kids something to remember when actually having to apply it. I too thought it was pleasant and friendly sounding and had a nice pace to it. Not too fast and not too slow as to loose attention spans. Great job!

JacksMom

Banned
Loved it! The first thing that came to mind when I saw it, was when you said that Cinderalla was the number 1 in the tens place, although it was highlighted in red (which is a great idea), I probably would have used any number other than the number 1 in the thousands place, just to prevent any possible confusion...like 2, 418. Not a big deal, but that's the first thing that came to mind. I like the idea behind the circle, but agree it is a little distracting and maybe it could be replaced by a small arrow or something smaller? All in all, even left alone, its a great demo piece/teaching method with great narration. Ever thought of changing professions and doing audio books? :Wink:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I loved it but I would change the yellow circle to a magic wand or something. Having 2 children that struggle with math it is a great way to get them to learn it without makong them crazy and it is something they will always remember.

Admin is on the other end of the couch did not watch but we both agree you have a great voice for speaking and should look into radio:Wink:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope i'm not too late to help with your assignment... if so, then just disregard my feedback.
I think you did a great job at making math fun for kids. However, at first i was a little confused on what you were talking about, but after a little while i caught on. (could definitely just be me!) I loved your tone and thought it was very welcoming! I love how you over dramatized "Poof" or "nothing". I think that was very fun and think the kids would enjoy the sound effects. I felt pulled in two directions though- listening to you and following what you wrote on the slide. I felt there may have been too much of a difference between the two. perhaps speaking more from the slide would be a little more helpful- although not sure if the kids you are teaching are old enough to read/listen at the same time. i tend to have a little difficult time following lecture/slides. (i'm the student writing the entire slide down haha).
Overall i think you did a great job at "interacting" with the kids- asking them questions, pausing for answers, etc. I think the slide in general is great! you did a great job at explaining. I liked the you put the "pointer" (yellow circle) over the numbers you were speaking about.

susi794

Staff member
Thanks everybody! Woohoo, after all day, I FINISHED the classwork and have only to mail the time logs to my professor. Whew! It's been a whole heck of a lot of work and I am glad to be finished as Ihave so much to do here around the house and am still so very tired. Lulu looks like she is going to pop at any minute....and they just called me to tell me no school tomorrow as the storm here has been pretty significant. So Woohoo AGAIN! It's turing out to be a great night!
Much love to you all,
Susi and the gang

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I know my response is late but I just wanted you to know that my boyfriends son greatly enjoyed your video and said you made it sound so much easier than his teachers!

I thought it was great - good job!

Back