Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I never thought it could happen to me

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball is racist! The cable guy was installing U-verse and Butternuts freaked! The cable guy was black. I thought I raised him to be tolerant to everyone. I have failed!

Actually I have a theory on why some animals prefer one race or another. It occurred to me that Butternuts has never seen a live black person before. Just like I've never seen a live alien before. So if I saw an alien I'd probably freak out and get all scared. Just like Butternuts freaks out because he's never seen a black guy before.

Not that aliens are black people.

tessblack

Banned
Butterball is racist! The cable guy was installing U-verse and Butternuts freaked! The cable guy was black. I thought I raised him to be tolerant to everyone. I have failed!

Actually I have a theory on why some animals prefer one race or another. It occurred to me that Butternuts has never seen a live black person before. Just like I've never seen a live alien before. So if I saw an alien I'd probably freak out and get all scared. Just like Butternuts freaks out because he's never seen a black guy before.

Not that aliens are black people.

Oh give him a chance it is something new. I am sure he would be loving to him once he got used to it. He better be tolerant all his friends are drag kitties.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Rofl!
Really, he freaked about that?

Didn't think they would notice such things even, none of mine ever did. Bad kitty Butterball, hehe.
Maybe it was just because a stranger came in with tools and stuff.

If not you have two choices. Either you send him to tolerance camp or to W.A.R.
:Laugh:

susi794

Staff member
Butterball!!!! The cable guy might be a great guy...he might be bringing you treats...or NIP, for goodness sakes. Ya gotta be nice, man, cuz ya just never know...

Gizzymom

Banned
LMAO!!!!!

My friend's american hairless terrier did the same thing (not that it's a hairless thing!). She brought her up to my work (physical therapy clinic), the dog ran up to each person there with her tail wagging and when she ran up to one of my patients who is black... she stopped and ran back to her "mom". I was dying!!! I told the patient I was so sorry that my friend's dog had no manners!! He was cracking up:Hysterical:. But like you said, she (the dog) had never seen a black person before!!! Could have been BAD... but we all got a laugh out of it!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Butternuts will adapt!

holly_savage

Banned
Ha ha ha...I know it's not PC, but it is kinda funny. I had a pitbull that was like that! We'd go to the park and she'd happily play with all the kids, until any black kids came over, then she lunge and bark at them!!!! Kinda embarassing:Sweat:

Now I can't say as to whether or not Vegas had previously known any black people because we adopted her from a shelter in Las Vegas and she had come in as a stray. But other than that she was such a sweet girl, so loving and affectionate!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Reminds me of myself when I was a kid. I grew up pretty sheltered in the backwoods of NC, no black people lived in my neighborhood. My first encounter with a black person was my 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Howard. I remember her being a large woman so that scared me. And she scared me even more when she locked us in the closet when we were bad or answered questions wrong. It took me several years to learn how to trust and like black people after that.

I'm good now tho!! lol

ktate88

Banned
Oh it isn't just Butternuts-- it happens frequently in my experience! My brothers dog met an Asian friend of mine and crazy Boscoe(choc lab...lord help us) went nuts. Barking, growling. But the huge maine coon went right up to her!

Niles hasn't done this, as my boyfriend is black, though he's not in the same city right now so Niles doesn't see him as often. When he is here Niles LOVES him-- jumps on him immediately. Niles loooves himself some man time...

In the manners department Niles typically farts when he meets new people... I am holding him or they pick him up and I think we must just press it out of him!! :Woo::Dizzy::ThumbsDown::Hysterical: Pick your poison!

Oh give him a chance it is something new. I am sure he would be loving to him once he got used to it. He better be tolerant all his friends are drag kitties.
Oh so true of our cross dressing cats!!:LOL:

LLevenson

Lairian
my parent's dog did the same thing....when my mom would be waiting for my youngest brother to get out of school, their dog would lunch and bark at the window at every black person that walked by. but not the white kids. She said it was so embarrassing b/c it was so obvious! I feel like there MUST be an explanation for this

Thankfully Arias doesn't seem to have this issue with race...he's just terrified of babies :Hysterical:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm actually somewhat worried. I have never seen Butterball so scared. I mean that literally. Actually, he might have been that frightened when he got caught in the yard during sprinkler deployment, but that's it. He tried to jump through the windows, climb the walls, anything to get away from this guy.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm actually somewhat worried. I have never seen Butterball so scared. I mean that literally. Actually, he might have been that frightened when he got caught in the yard during sprinkler deployment, but that's it. He tried to jump through the windows, climb the walls, anything to get away from this guy.

Maybe it had nothing to do with the guy's race, he just wasn't a nice person and Butterball sensed it. I really think animals are good judge of characters.

On a different note, when my 3 y/o son met our new neighbor, he was fascinated by the "chocolate man" as he referred to him. Fortunately our neighbor had good sense of humor.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Maybe it had nothing to do with the guy's race, he just wasn't a nice person and Butterball sensed it. I really think animals are good judge of characters.

I agree. Maybe Butterball sensed how much the cable company is going to screw you in the long run with their regular rate hikes.

[/QUOTE]On a different note, when my 3 y/o son met our new neighbor, he was fascinated by the "chocolate man" as he referred to him. Fortunately our neighbor had good sense of humor.[/QUOTE]

This made me chuckle. When my oldest was around the same age she saw a Somali refuge while we were shopping at the grocery store. With each turn of the aisle she excitedly pointed out the man with the glowing eyes. And when he smiled at her she clapped for joy to see his glowing white teeth as if he had done it as a trick to entertain only her. I was embarrassed but man was gracious enough not to mind.

Back