Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I probably shouldn't get this kitten right?

bayleef

Lairian
New to the forum, had a question.

So, my neighbors sphynx cat had an accidental litter somehow, I'm not sure of the details but from what I've gathered she got pregnant right before she came to my neighbor's home. She had 4 kittens, has sold 3 but one seems to be sick so she said she would give him to me for a very reduced price.

I took him to the vet to try to diagnose what he has before I commit to buying him, and it turns out he was positive for herpesvirus and calicivirus.....both of which, to my knowledge, are very contagious, and don't really ever go away.

This would mean I can't have any other cats, and also I have to make sure to only ever room with people who don't have cats (I'm a college student, switch living arrangements every year or so). I have the money, but it seems like a bad ides to adopt an already sick cat that may not get better right? He had some sort of URI and his eyes were very watery and dripped out some liquid. Its a bit sad to see, and I was hoping it would be somethint that can be easily cleared up with some medication, but I guess that isn't the case.

Anyways, yeah, seems like a lot of medical issues to have to fight through, and he might be more comfortable with someone else who doesn't move so often and stress him out. What do you guys think?

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can't comment on the herpesvirus but my current Siamese came to me with calicivirus. I could tell that he was ill when I got him but he clearly wasn't getting the treatment he needed and there was no way I was leaving him where he was. When I was told he had calicivirus I was devastated but to be honest his condition is little to no bother to any of us. We live in a multi-cat household and by the time we found out about his condition they'd already bonded so we just make sure we stay on top of cleanliness which reduces the chances of a flare up. All of our kitties are indoor kitties as a) I don't want them killing wildlife, b) they are desirable animals and I don't want them taken, c) we have very large trucks hurtling down our road at all hours and d) I don't want them to infect the neighbourhood cats. When I was considering getting another cat I contacted the rescue centre and said that I had a calici-positive cat. They were really offish because they're so used to people giving these poor cats up but when I told them I was looking to adopt another calici-positive positive cat they were so happy. I figure we're already living with the issue why not help other animals in the same boat.

With regard to moving house often, I think it would very much depend on the personality of the cat and how young they are exposed to the experience. My Siamese is a fantastic traveller. I often take him to visit my 97 year old nana and started doing this when he was a few months old. Also, my husband and I were living in separate counties and I'd go to stay with him and our dog and the cat travelled between houses with me. Because we were doing this from such a young age he's super-chill about going to new places and if I get the cat carrier out he jumps in it ready to go visiting.

Anyway, this is my very long winded way of saying that living with the disease isn't as big a problem as you might be imaging and you could always take on other calicivirus cats if you want a multi-cat home.

Good luck and follow your heart

Kelnym

Lairian
If your neighbor is not a breeder and you have the money, I would offer to pay to spay their cat for them.

I don't know if that's a PC thing for me to say, but it burns me that someone let their cat get pregnant, and is now actually profiting off of sick kittens.

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs for taking the kitten to the vet.. is owner going to follow thru with having the baby kitty treated for the potential URI. personally there should be no charge for the kitty , she should keep and pay for treatment before rehoming at no fee imho. prayers for this little sweetie

Sheldon13

Staff member
I agree. No charge for kitty. She should not be trying to make a profit off a sick cat. She should be grateful you want to take the kitty in and get it treated.

Herpes can have flare ups but you just do a round of eye drops when it happens. @Silke has a kitty with herpes.

Make sure you speak with your vet about total potential cost to treat. As a college student I wouldn’t want you to become overburdened financially. Not a great time in your life to rack up extra debt.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well I have one sphynx with calici and one with herpes virus, as well as one with neither. What I found out is that these viruses are very common where there are a lot of cats in a small space (like a cattery). The vaccines that kittens get would immunize them, but sometimes they've already caught the virus before the vaccine so......here we are.

The good news is that these viruses are annoying but NOT life threatening. My cats don't even get any booster shots so the kitten vaccines have protected them from catching whatever another cat has even though they all share the same space. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about getting other cats.

My sphynx with herpes virus just gets eye gunk. I clean it with a wet tissue and it's done, easy peasy.

My sphynx with calicivirus is a little more work because when he has a flareup he starts sneezing, gets congested, can't smell his food, and then he won't want to eat. So then the virus itself is not a big deal but not wanting to eat is. I've only had him for about 14 months so I'm still trying to get a beat on exactly what causes him to have a flareup.....I suspect dust and pollen but I'm still playing detective. I did figure out it helps to launder all throws and bed sheets more often so that they are as free of anything floating in the environment as possible. And I also have started bathing him more frequently to see if that helps.

Now a word on price. You will need to have this little guy treated by a vet right off the bat. Also, these viruses never go away and sometimes the symptoms get bad enough that you need to see the vet again. You said you are a college student so everything counts.

If your friend paid for the kitten's neutering and all his shots, it's fair in my opinion to pay her to cover those expenses. But if she hasn't paid anything, I think it's wrong for her to ask for money. Nevertheless, it's up to you and you alone if you are willing to deal with her for the sake of the kitten.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. It's great of you to take this kitten to the vet. If you will take the kitten I would say you don't need to pay for the kitten so you can save that for vet bills.

Letitia

Lairian
I can only speak to the herpes aspect. My little guy had a sometimes squinty eye when we first got him, and sometimes a little watery. Turned out to be herpes, which the vet said could flare up from time to time for the rest of his life. We followed the prescribed course of treatment, and it has never showed up again. That was eight years ago. I do agree with the others here that have said there should be no charge for this kitty. My best to you! I hope this works out for you, and please keep us updated.

Sheldon13

Staff member
@bayleef we are all rather curious about what you decide. I think it’s at least worth a conversation with the accidental breeder. Make sure she understands the expense you are taking on.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Let me just get this straight.....we all pretty much agree that these viruses are not a big deal....but a lot are saying the kitten should be free .....isn't this a bit inconsistent?

Even if you find a kitten, it would need to be neutered or spayed. It would need kitten vaccines. If this kitten hasn't had them that would be one thing, but if it has, it isn't crazy to have to pay.

Some breeders lie to cover up things; at least this breeder is putting it in the open.

Kelnym

Lairian
Let me just get this straight.....we all pretty much agree that these viruses are not a big deal....but a lot are saying the kitten should be free .....isn't this a bit inconsistent?

Even if you find a kitten, it would need to be neutered or spayed. It would need kitten vaccines. If this kitten hasn't had them that would be one thing, but if it has, it isn't crazy to have to pay.

Some breeders lie to cover up things; at least this breeder is putting it in the open.

Hmm...

For some reason I was assuming this person wasn't a breeder, just a neighbour with an unspayed cat, but I could be very wrong.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hmm...

For some reason I was assuming this person wasn't a breeder, just a neighbour with an unspayed cat, but I could be very wrong.

Maybe best to ask more questions?

@Condo commando my understanding is that the kitten is actively sick right now and requiring vet treatment. I don’t know if they have neutered or not.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmm...
Oh I think whoever it is did this on purpose but it doesn't matter. The first cats I ever had on my own came from a coworker that found a pregnant cat and took her in. They had to find homes for the kittens. I ended up with 2 of them......"free" but I still had to pay a vet to get them neutered, to give them their vaccines, etc. This is just logic.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Maybe best to ask more questions?

@Condo commando my understanding is that the kitten is actively sick right now and requiring vet treatment. I don’t know if they have neutered or not.
Me neither. I'm just finding it ironic that we are saying "oh herpes is nothing" but then in the next sentence saying "kitten should be free because it's sick." Heck line me up for a free herpes kitten. Not really but you get my point I hope.

It would also be a disincentive for breeders (or sellers whoever they may be) to admit to anything if it means they don't get any money. So at least this person put the facts in the open.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is it possible for kittens to get the virus from their mom when they nurse? One of my previous kittens had calici virus when he moved to us but we kept an eye on the symptoms. He just had a little sniffle for a couple of weeks. No other treatment from the vet, but it was very mild sniffle. The vet said it could be a symptom of the vaccine as well.

Kelnym

Lairian
Oh I think whoever it is did this on purpose but it doesn't matter. The first cats I ever had on my own came from a coworker that found a pregnant cat and took her in. They had to find homes for the kittens. I ended up with 2 of them......"free" but I still had to pay a vet to get them neutered, to give them their vaccines, etc. This is just logic.

The OP's post says that the neighbour's cat accidentally got pregnant, so I didn't assume it was on purpose, and didn't get the impression that this is a breeder.

The OP hasn't come back to clarify, so it's hard to say what the actual situation is.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The OP's post says that the neighbour's cat accidentally got pregnant, so I didn't assume it was on purpose, and didn't get the impression that this is a breeder.

The OP hasn't come back to clarify, so it's hard to say what the actual situation is.
It is hard to know. I could be overly skeptical but it doesn't look like an accident. It wouldn't stop me at all if I wanted this kitten.

Kelnym

Lairian
It is hard to know. I could be overly skeptical but it doesn't look like an accident. It wouldn't stop me at all if I wanted this kitten.

IDK, OP specifically said it was an accidental pregnancy that "somehow" happened before the neighbour even got the cat. I'm just taking that at face value.

Back