I really need help- kitten potty training issues

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by AngelSphynx, Nov 25, 2009.

1. AngelSphynx

AngelSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $431.00
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have a litter of 3 female kittens that are about 10 weeks old now and I have been having problems with one of them. She won't use the litter box! The other two I have had no problems with at all. They caught on quickly and use the litter boxes just fine. I have three boxes upstairs in the cat room and one downstairs on the main floor. No matter what I do, this kitten will not use ANY of them. Well, I guess I can't say "any" because I have seen her use one of them twice, but that's it. I have tried everything, from putting her in a litter box on the hour all night and day for weeks, to buying different kinds of litter boxes, and putting her and one of her sisters in a box so she can see what her sisters do and learn from them. I am still constantly putting her in the boxes, especially after she eats. Sometimes she sniffs around in the box, but usually just runs right out. I am so very frustrated and have never had this problem before.

I don't get mad at her when she goes where she is not supposed to cause I know that can make it worse. I just show her to the litter box once again. Does anyone have any tips that I haven't tried yet? I like to keep everything as clean as possible as I believe that is important and aside from that she won't be adoptable with this problem. I have thought of a UTI but this has been going on since the beginning when I was training her sisters too. So I'm thinking that's not it. Though they all go back to the vet soon for another set of shots and maybe I should have her checked. It just seems to me like she won't catch on..

She is otherwise a wonderful girl- very lively, spunky beautiful kitten. Eats and drinks well. Loves to cuddle. She appears very healthy.

I need advice!! :Badly2::

2. Sam lewis

Sam lewisV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,018.17
    Ratings:
    +736
    • Bear
    • Butterfly 1
    You have probably already tried this but just wandered if you could maybe put some of her poop or something that she has weed on into the litter box? I had a bit of a problem with my female when she was a kitten, I found a small cushion that she had been weeing on in her bed and put it in the litter tray! Sounds gross and was a bit wiffy for a few days but it worked and when i threw the cushion out she kept using the tray.

3. Sam lewis

Sam lewisV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,018.17
    Ratings:
    +736
    • Bear
    • Butterfly 1
    Is she weeing in a particular place or just everywhere?!

4. heather

heatherV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $396.00
    Ratings:
    +462
    I only have one Sphynx and she never had issues but I use Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter.

http://www.preciouscat.com/

They have Cat Attract and Kitten Attract. It has herbs that attract them to the litter. I have used it since I got her because I was concerned she may not find the litter box I put upstairs. She has used it no problems! Regular pet stores carry it I have found.

Hope this helps- good luck!

5. heather

heatherV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $396.00
    Ratings:
    +462
    Yeah! Brooke suggested that to me when I was transitioning Sophie to a larger litter box and it worked! Well, I did it with just a clump of waste but same idea LOL!

6. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +443
    Hi AngelSphynx,

You might want to try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It has an attractant in it that will encourage your kitten to pee on it. It's also a great low-dust clumping litter and I use it every time I switch litter boxes or move them to a different location, just in case the cats have any confusion about where they're supposed to go. You can find it at just about any pet store.

You also said you try to keep everything as clean as possible. This will sound funny and gross, but there might be a possibility the litter boxes are too clean, and she simply doesn't know what she's supposed to do in there! Try leaving the litter box a little bit dirty and see if that doesn't help. And, if she poops on the floor, pick it up and put it in the litter box instead of throwing it away. Then, when you place her in the box she might make the connection that her poop is supposed to go in there.

You mention a UTI, but at her young age, that isn't likely. So, that's good news. It's still worth mentioning to your vet, but it sounds more like she just needs to learn.

Putting her in the box every hour might be frustrating and confusing for her, and might make her fearful of the box, so I would recommend just placing her in the box a few minutes after she eats. That's usually when they're ready to "do their business". And, definitely shower her with praise and give a reward when she does actually use the box!

Here's a link to a thread where another member was having litter box troubles. Her situation was slightly different than yours but you may find some helpful info here, too:
    http://www.sphynxlair.com/showthread.php?t=419&highlight=attract

Good luck! I want to see pics of those sweet naked babies!!

7. Maggies mommy

Maggies mommyV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,100.16
    Ratings:
    +471
    Good luck training the little baby girl

8. havingalook

havingalookV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $430.00
    Ratings:
    +764
    Have you tried different types of litter? Everything ranging from shredded paper to crystal etc. Have you tried a covered box or even starting her in an alternative and working up to a box..

Brooke has some great suggestions.

9. AngelSphynx

AngelSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $431.00
    Ratings:
    +51
    Wow, thank you so much everyone for your help!!!

Sam: As far as her weeing and pooing, it's basically everywhere but in one place. Does that make sense? lol. What she does is pick a place to go pee and poop, then she'll move on to another place for awhile. I don't know if maybe she moves on because I end up cleaning that spot or whatever she is going on. Her latest favorite spot to pee has been on my bed. I keep washing the bedding but she soils it again. Once in awhile she goes somewhere else like if I have a towel or blanket or something on the floor that I hadn't picked up, but it's mostly my bed. And she picks different places to poo and keep going there for awhile and move on to another spot (sometimes the poo and pee are in the same spot for awhile.) Lately her favorite spot to poo has been under my TV armoire in my bedroom. I just cleaned under there 2 days ago (wow it was bad) and haven't seen anymore there yet so she has probably moved on again and I will be surprised later. hahh

I actually have not tried your suggestion of putting something she wee'd on in the litter box or some of her poop. I will definitely try that!!

To Heather and Brooke: I am going right out to find that litter! I think with that and all these suggestions too I can get her to use the litter box. Brooke, thank you for all that advice. I think you are right that the boxes are getting scary for her because I don't remember her running out every time in the beginning. I will keep it to every time after she eats. The 2 times I did see her go I gave her lots of praise but next time I will give her some treats too. I'm so frustrated I didn't even think of treats. I train all my Sphynx's with treats.

Having A Look: I have two big covered boxes in the cat room, and then bought a smallish/medium litter tray as an alternative to see if she would use that. (And then on the main floor I have a big uncovered box.) When she did go those couple times, it was in that small tray. The litter I use is Tidy Cat clumping litter. (That is another issue..lol. Always looking for a better type of litter.)

Well again thank you all and I will post again and let you all know if any of this has worked. I really appreciate all the help!!

10. havingalook

Sphynx Bucks:
    $430.00
    Ratings:
    +764
    We have problems trying to find a good cat litter, my husband is conveniently allergic to most of them :LOL:

Have you tried confining her to a small space for a while? Your bedroom is full of so many exciting, potential toileting spots, so she has lots of options and doesn't need to find the original spot. If you could confine her (to a bathroom maybe?) for a couple of days so your starting from scratch and she doesn't have to find her toilet as its only a few feet away. Treat her like a 6week old, with a low tray and start from the beginning until she recognises it and can be trusted unsupervised in larger areas...

11. AngelSphynx

AngelSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $431.00
    Ratings:
    +51
    Wow, allergic to cat litter? Never heard of anybody being allergic to cat litter before!

And yes I have tried confining her to a small space. I tried putting her in a cage with the litter tray and a little bed and food and water of course. But she didn't do well..at all. She wasn't sure what was going on at first and seemed ok but then started crying after awhile (and it got much worse.) So mommy came around when hearing her cries! Mommy got really worried and was talking to her back and didn't know what to do and how to get her out! It was so sad. I felt bad going to bed that night. When I woke up the next morning, the cage was a total MESS!! She must of really went nuts when I finally fell asleep because there was litter everywhere, not just litter but wet litter.. and even in the water bowl..so much so that the water looked black !!
    I let her out.

I was thinking of closing the doors to the cat room and keeping her in there. Still, though, that probably wouldn't be any different cause that is a large area too. I like the bathroom idea. Makes a lot of sense what you said. I might try that. I just have to make sure mommy doesn't freak out.. she is very protective.

12. havingalook

Sphynx Bucks:
    $430.00
    Ratings:
    +764
    He has bad allergies and the dust from a lot of brands really affect him, so trying to find a good quality dust free litter.

How old are they? If they are weaned, could momma cat go in the bathroom with her to reduce stress but still confine her to a smaller space and then go from there.

13. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +443
    To expand on that a little bit...I like the idea of keeping her in a smaller area, too, because part of the problem might be that she isn't remembering where the box is or if she's in one area of the house, she can't smell her way back to it. But, if confining her turns out to not be a good option, leaving the litterbox just a little bit stinky might help her find her way back to it.

14. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,141.16
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    I was going to say keep her in one room with the door closed. When Athen has kittens I do not give them full roam of the house until they are trained. They have their own room and once they are ready I add A shallow low to the ground litter box into the room and put in next to Athenas litter box. I bring them down to the family room so they get people and play time but I alway bring the same shallow litter box down with them, and never let them under anything like the couch until I am sure they are using the box without problems. When they go back up to their room so does the shallow litter box.When I see them going in their mommys big box they are ready to come out without me following every step they take.:Sweat:
    Hope this helps!