I think Abby has herpes | Sphynxlair

I think Abby has herpes

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Talk' started by abbyknitter, Dec 21, 2009.

1. abbyknitter

abbyknitterSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1.00
    Ratings:
    +307
    I am really sad, I think Abby has herpes...which would explain her watery eye and excessive sneezing...I am worried about her and the other kitties in the house...:Cry: I don't know what to do, should I keep Abby away from the other kitties?

2. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    My Meeko has herpes and is on Lysine for it.
    Is the discharge colored?
    Sounds lik she might have a URI.
    Ihave a few sick cats now and the vet said there are alot of URI's going around right now.
    Have you been to the vet?

• Like Like x 2
    • Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $39.00
      Ratings:
      +440
      Most cats (I've read estimates as high as 90%) have been exposed to the herpes virus. Whether or not they are ever effected by it is a different story. Separating Abby from your other kitties if she has herpes is not going to be necessary at this point because they will have already been exposed. She would benefit from a trip to the vet to rule out a URI, and you can give Lysine to all of your cats, whether they are infected with herpes or not. Lysine is an amino acid (available from the vet or over the counter at vitamin stores or pharmacies) that basically starves the herpes virus. It will help reduce the symptoms and minimize the number of herpes flare ups. I have 2 cats with herpes, but I give Lysine to all 4 of them because obviously all 4 of them are exposed to the virus.

Good luck! I hope she's feeling better soon!

• Like Like x 2
      • abbyknitter

abbyknitterSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $1.00
        Ratings:
        +307
        She has been to the vet twice since i got her, she has been on meds for URI twice. She doesn't seem sick anymore, she is playing a lot and being her normal self. She just goes into sneezing fits, you know? The discharge from her eye is clear, but there is a lot of it, she was scratched in the eye by a sibling at a young age...i don't know if the watery eye is from that or what. I would think the watery eye would have gone away by now.
        Thanks everyone for you help and advice, it helps a lot!

• BareOnAHotTinRoof

BareOnAHotTinRoofLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $281.00
        Ratings:
        +103
        Wouldn't hurt to get a culture done on the mucous from her nose to rule out any infections. Bordatella(Kennel Cough) can cause sneezing and watery eyes, as well as coughing. Alot of vets don't think cats can get it, but they definitely do. It's generally self-limiting and only requiring antibiotics to prevent any secondary infections, but it can hit younger and elderly cats hard. Lysine will definitely help boost the immune system regardless of what it might be.

• Like Like x 2