Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I Think I Need To Force Feed Dinka

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He did not eat after I dropped him off at the house and went to work. I noticed yellow on the carpet everywhere in his room. Do not know which end it came out of. Then I saw him go to the litter box and it was a tiny bit of diarrhea. Gave him Kaolin pectin for the diarrhea at 5:30. I am really worried. I am so worried that his organs will start shutting down. I am going to force feed him some wet food. I don't know what else to do at this time of night.:Sweat::Sweat::Cry::Cry:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What if you wet his food? soak it in water. or try can food.
I thought he was starting to eat the W/D?

Maybe try some pedialite... even in a syringe just to get some down in his tummy so he doesn't dehydrate.
i'm not familiar with this sort of thing- but i know the pedialite is what they tell us to use on our bullies if we ever have problems.

Personally i'd call the vet back and possibly take him back. something is going on....

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No pedialyte here. I am going to mix water with wet food just to get something in him. He is drawn up like a skeleton.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is your vet 24/7?
or is there one you could call? maybe get a different opinion? if he physically isn't doing well and not eating i would take him in asap (but that's me... and i dont personally know your kitty)

Inferno12

Banned
Have you tried baby food? I had to feed it to Johnny when he was sick. I would think about taking him the the er vet. I think you have to be careful with getting that liquid in his lungs. I dont know much other than its a risk when you have to force feed them. I really hope Dinka gets better.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is emergency care here at a high price. It is almost 10 PM here. Dinka is moving around right now but WILL NOT EAT OR DRINK. They will probably IV him at the ER. Maybe I can get some food down him - I don't know - I am having a hard time emotionally.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been trying to stay out of this but your cat is acting like lucy did after she got that shot.
I was stupid and gave it the next year and she died.
You can try using a baby bottle with the end cut off to force feed him.

Inferno12

Banned
There is emergency care here at a high price. It is almost 10 PM here. Dinka is moving around right now but WILL NOT EAT OR DRINK. They will probably IV him at the ER. Maybe I can get some food down him - I don't know - I am having a hard time emotionally.

He did eat some today right? If he did then I think you have a little cushion to work with. I would just keep encouraging him to drink. I woul also go get some chicken baby food. he might just go for that. Johnny would not eat the canned food so I tried baby food and he would eat a little bit of that

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I think I found a way to get nutrition in him. As I was posting Dinka came up to me and I picked him up. He started nursing on my neck and then I got up and went to the kitchen where the syringe of food was. I squeezed some out on my neck and he licked it up. I then went to my Mom's room and laid on her bed. Asked her to squeeze out the food slowly on my neck. He licked up a whole teaspoon. Like you said Inferno - you do not want to get it in their lungs. I am exhausted just from the emotional trauma of it all. I will rest and try this again in an hour. If he wakes me in the night I will do it again because it seems to be working. Thank you everybody for being there. I am so attached to Dinka that my heart is crying.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you to everybody that rode this storm out with me. Blood work fine, but the fecal showed Campylobacter. It was stress induced and he will be getting treatment over the next several days. Vet said it is easy to treat and Dinka should be fine. He is keeping him today to ensure he gets some calories in him. I on the other hand am exhausted from the worry. I love that little being to pieces.

Bella07

Banned
I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this. I can't even imagine how stressful this must be for you....I'll keep your gorgeous guy in my prayers. I really hope he continues to do well, and gain back that 2 pounds. Keep it up Dinka!

susi794

Staff member
Candys, I am so sorry I wasn't there when you were in crisis mode. I didn't get the PM until a bit ago, and I see by the postings that Dinka is at the vet now. That's good--he needs the fluid and nourishment. You did a creatively good job keeping him nourished as best you could through the night. He's right were he needs to be. You need to rest so you can be ready when he comes home. I am so sorry I didn't check back in last night--I know what it's like to be in panic mode and have no one to help--even if the help is just another person to worry with you. Will remember you and Dinka in my prayers,
Susi and the gang

Back