Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I was a bad sphynx mom today

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This time of year is when it's nice outside so it gives me a chance to sit outside on the patio. The cats like going outside too and the patio is fenced so it works out great for them. Well today I had stuff to do so I wasn't going to sit outside, but one of the girls has gotten used to it and she was meowing at the patio door wanting out. So I opened the door for her and all 3 cats ran outside. OK cool, it's fenced and everything so they would be fine.

I had some things to do. I think the first thing I did was wash dishes from breakfast. Then I watched a little bit of the news on TV. Somewhere along the way I turned on the laptop and started working with the TV on in the background. Some time passed and I decided to turn off the TV. You know how sometimes you hear something but you are concentrating on something else so you ignore what you hear? I was hearing faint meows but I thought to myself "but I just turned off the TV; it must be outside." Yeah, it must be ....duh. Finally I looked around - where are my cats? I was all alone....that never happens. Finally it dawned on me - I had let them out and they're stuck outside unsupervised for I don't know how long.

So the end of the story is they were being good little kitties ....2 of them were on patio chairs just chilling and 1 of them (the princess) was meowing at the top of her lungs in front of the door. When I opened the door all 3 ran in like they were shot out of a cannon. Like they say, all's well that ends well, but I still can't believe I forgot.... :oops:

Sheldon13

Staff member
Lmao well how long were they out there? It can’t have been that bad. I thought your story was going to end that they got out and were meowing at the wrong door or something

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Nah, the fence is a good 6 feet high and I put wire around the bottom so that they can't sneak through under the fence posts. Yesterday when they were outside there were some big birds flying overhead and that is my biggest worry to be honest. I don't know if a bird would swoop in and take a cat but I know they have taken pet birds. But nothing happened. I think they were outside for a couple of hours.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh lol that’s not too bad. Sounds like ⅔ of them were happy with the arrangement anyways

Sheldon13

Staff member
I don’t know how big your predatory birds are but the ones here in Texas aren’t capable of carrying a cat actually up in the air. They could still kill something that big and then eat it right there I guess, but the bird would have to be pretty desperate to do that on a front porch I think.

I did have a red tail hawk scoop down and try to kill a chicken in front of me. It missed the mark and just injured it. Was only able to lift it a couple feet off the ground. Maybe a 3-4 lb chicken.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wouldn't say they were happy.....they were probably getting a little cold without a blanket to crawl under. But the temperature was only in the 70's so it wasn't like they would actually freeze. I'm curious to see if they will want to go outside tomorrow!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don’t know how big your predatory birds are but the ones here in Texas aren’t capable of carrying a cat actually up in the air. They could still kill something that big and then eat it right there I guess, but the bird would have to be pretty desperate to do that on a front porch I think.

I did have a red tail hawk scoop down and try to kill a chicken in front of me. It missed the mark and just injured it. Was only able to lift it a couple feet off the ground. Maybe a 3-4 lb chicken.

This is good to know. It's a small patio so the bird would not be able to glide in; I think it would have to dive in and then shoot up straight if that makes sense. But I mean, I'm not really interested in finding out the full extent of their capabilities.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Toa, Ross and Jade want to say you are the best mom in the whole world. They want you to teach me how to do this too. Cause they would love to play outside in the garden for hours!
Dear Toa, Ross and Jade:
The thing is here it's not cold. If your mom let you go outside there, you would not like it. So just stay inside where it's nice and warm, but you could make a sad face to work your mom over for snacks. Good luck! ; )

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando oh my... be supercareful.. and brrr up here in this part of FL today... to share I won't even let mine roam on the enclosed pool lanai anymore since I dont know if you recall me posting about a pair of redtail hawks broke thru my pool screen and were sitting on my bar set! so glad all paws are okay. ((hugs n head smooches))

Sheldon13

Staff member
Can you read or crochet or something? Or watch videos on your phone?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can you read or crochet or something? Or watch videos on your phone?

I tried taking my laptop outside to read on but the screen washes out.

The fence is a privacy fence so it's high and you can't see through it. The cats entertain themselves looking for geckos; it's funny how quickly they disappear when the cats go outside though. Anyway I have zero interest in that myself as you can imagine.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I never was great at hunting geckos. Grasshoppers are pretty fun to catch here in Texas. Especially if you have some chickens you can give them to.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I never was great at hunting geckos. Grasshoppers are pretty fun to catch here in Texas. Especially if you have some chickens you can give them to.

Yeah sure when you're a kid, but I'm.....uhmmmm.....not that carefree anymore.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do my best. They are so giant here that they are kinda slow for grasshoppers. Only have to be bc a little fast to catch them. It’s worth it to dump a whole jar in a chicken pen and watch them go nuts!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Lol not currently. My parents do though and when I go visit them during Summer my mom and I go catch them by the jar full and hand them over to the eaters. They love them.

Back