Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

IBD/Endoscopy

TajMahal

Lairian
Hello again everyone!
I posted a few months ago about my problems with cat Taj's IBD. At the time I had an endoscopy scheduled for her, but I chickened out and canceled it. I have rescheduled it for the 20th of this month and I wanted to know if anyone on here had an opinion about it. Just some background information- I can't feed Taj a raw or cooked diet because it seems that the protein itself (chicken, beef, fish, turkey, etc) is what is causing the problem. The only diet I've had any success with is a hydrolyzed protein diet, where the structure of the protein is actually altered so that the body can't recognize it and therefore won't attack it. However, while the diet has resolved her vomiting, she still has liquid diarrhea that has recently started to have a sickly sweet smell (almost like vanilla, but really bad). Every time I try to add fiber in the form of pumpkin, or a powdered veterinary fiber, she vomits. I'm going to try a probiotic again, but she didn't respond well to that last time either. Also, when she has an episode it isn't just vomiting, she also gets lethargic and inappetent so it really is a problem. I've been playing with different diets for the past five months and nothing seems to stop the diarrhea. I'm afraid of her developing lymphoma, but I also hate the idea of putting her under anesthesia for the endoscopy and intestinal biopsy. So I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether or not I'm jumping the gun taking her in for the procedure this month or if it really is time. Thanks in advance for your help!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhh support amd positve vibes sent ..
Hopeful others who have experience with this procedure can chime in for peace of mind

Kudos for reminding NO Ketamine
@Duglynukem , can you share a pic of the probiotic here that has worked for Cleo

For peace of mind , some of us get a second opinion , fresh set of eyes on it and do the least intrusive alternates first as you have been doing
((Hugs)))) will be following closely

What were the results of poo sample check ? Did they rule out tritrichomonas that we have see a few times be an underlying culprit of poo issues but isn't mentioned too often

TajMahal

Lairian
I did have a Fecal PCR run to rule that out, but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep Taj off of the metronidazole long enough to be able to trust the results despite the fact that everything came back negative. As soon as I can get her off the metronidazole for a few weeks I will run another one to make sure the results were truly negative for T. foetus and various other pathogens.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have found a probiotic to be very helpful for Cleo. I found this one to be highly recommended on chewy.com.

93596D10-2DDE-4F8B-B87A-C05DCB4D66E5.jpeg

Back