Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Idiopathic vestibular disease?? Help..

Crombie00

Lairian
Haven’t been on here in some time but know this is the place for answers.
My baby girl Pacey Jolie woke me this past Saturday screaming, panting and was lying with back egs down by the foot of my bed on floor.. I called the animal hospital and took her immediately. Her heart rate was up she was cold to the touch and exhausted as she hates car rides! They ran heart tests x-rays and tested urine for sugar. Ended up there was some sugar in Irvine but came back negative for diabetes. Also a spot on lung but nothing serious.
They were not sure what was going on. Asked me to try and get the episode on video if it reoccurred. Turns out it did so got video and did some googling and pretty much knew it was vestibular. Vet I talked to agreed so made appt for Monday and took her back. She had nystagmus, wobbling , head tilt and listing to side but wasn’t as freaked out. They did tests on ears etc and I took home ear drops, antibiotics and still need to pick up meclizine as they were out. She already was given cerenia so that was also to be given. She will eat and go to bathroom but needs assistance at this time. She mostly sleeps. So this is the fourth day soon to be fifth since first episode.
Is this proper treatment?
What can I expect?
Should I have her up more? Don’t want to make it worse but feel like she needs to move more.
If you need more info please ask and any help is appreciated!
Thank you all and send prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes to my sweet Pacey Jolie! She was a very vivacious cat until this

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Hoping someone will be able to share their experience. Lair Prayers are sent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a scare for you and your girl. I don't have experience with this kind of health issue. Hope members with experience chime in.
Sending healing vibes.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Crombie00
I don’t specifically have experience with vestibular issues in cats, but in people. In people meclazine is a great drug to help with the nausea from motion sickness she no doubt has from the nystagmus and wobbling (dizziness I’m sure if it).

I would not make her get up more than she wants because her world is probably spinning. It would be like trying to function normally with a 2x legal blood alcohol level. Make sure she is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom, and outside of that let her rest.

My only concern is WHY is this happening. Idiopathic basically means “of unknown cause.” This concerns me because while the symptoms are being treated appropriately there is every chance it won’t subside until a cause is identified and treated.

Did the vet say anything about an inner ear infection? How long has she been on the antibiotic drops? Have you noticed any improvement? Have there been any exceedingly loud noises lately? Has she been injured anywhere or had an accident recently?

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cornell University College of Veterinary medicine says often a cause is not identified but “In most cases, the signs of idiopathic vestibular syndrome will vanish within a short time and will never reappear.”

Source: Vestibular Syndrome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeanhill72

Lairian
Unfortunately, I can't offer any help, but am sending positive thoughts and prayers!

Crombie00

Lairian
So sorry I took so long to get back to you wonderful people!
Pacey has recovered. Took about a week. She still is unsure at times and cannot do high jumps.
Sheldon13 yes it apparently was inner ear inrction. Thanks for your posts and all the others that had well wishes!!!❤
There doesn’t appear to be any serious lasting problems. No head tilt but still a little wobbling when she gets too wild. She has always been so full of life so she’s still working toward getting back.
Again thank you so so much for all your continued support and information!
Just know if your cat gets this it may be inner ear. Go to vet with video of the episode. Get ear drops and meclizine. Antibiotics and cerenia helps as well. Give it a week to two weeks for recovery but if after 4-5 days not much improvement take them back to vet!! She started eating and using bathroom after 24 hrs. I would help her along but you have to let them try some on their own if able and not too weak.
God bless you all! I am lucky to have this resource and all of you.
It takes a village

Yoda mom

Staff member
positive vibes continue for sweet Pacey
lair prayers sent and following closely for updates
hugs n head smoooches

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry I took so long to get back to you wonderful people!
Pacey has recovered. Took about a week. She still is unsure at times and cannot do high jumps.
Sheldon13 yes it apparently was inner ear inrction. Thanks for your posts and all the others that had well wishes!!!
There doesn’t appear to be any serious lasting problems. No head tilt but still a little wobbling when she gets too wild. She has always been so full of life so she’s still working toward getting back.
Again thank you so so much for all your continued support and information!
Just know if your cat gets this it may be inner ear. Go to vet with video of the episode. Get ear drops and meclizine. Antibiotics and cerenia helps as well. Give it a week to two weeks for recovery but if after 4-5 days not much improvement take them back to vet!! She started eating and using bathroom after 24 hrs. I would help her along but you have to let them try some on their own if able and not too weak.
God bless you all! I am lucky to have this resource and all of you.
It takes a village
I’m glad she’s on the mend and has such an attentive parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro