Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

if you forget to close the door??

kosehans

Lairian
hello:) i am thinking of getting a beutiful sphynx cat. so i have a few cuestions i am hoping you can answar for me; since the sphynx cat is an indoor cat, how do they behave when they go outside, i mean do they follow you if you if you are going for a walk?
and if the doore is left open, do they run away, ore ceep to the house. are they scared to go outside ore curius? and if i did forget the door one day, and my cat ran away, would she find her way home?

kosehans

Lairian
and one more question: are the sphynx usually housebroken quickly? i am just asking couse i just heard that there are some differences between breeds..

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sure the more experienced at the Lair can give you good answers to your questions, but I would not take a chance at letting my Sphynx out of the house. #1 If it is cold - they can not get warm because they do not have the insulating coat of hair. #2 They can get so distracted and afraid that they will not answer your call. They may not be found. #3 They may get in a road and get hit by a vehicle and suffer - even die. #4 They could come in contact with other animals that have diseases - diseases that can be deadly. In summary - it is like having a child. Would you let your baby run out into the street or play by the swimming pool? Please take time and go through the Lair to learn more about this fabulous breed. And welcome to the Lair. Glad you are here.:Smile:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeppers. Keep them inside. It's very possible they could run off. I'm pretty lucky with Butterball. I let him outside all the time but i keep an eye on him. He just sits on the porch and chases bugs and birds. One time my roomate forgot he was outside so Butterball stayed outside all night. As soon as we opened the door in the morning, he came barreling inside. But I would have freaked out if he would have ran off. Fortunately I'm in Texas and it was summer so the little guy didn't freeze to death. In my experience sphynx's are very sensitive to weather. If it's cold, I don't have to worry about Butternuts running outside, but summer is a different story.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi kosehans welcome to sphynxlair! As the others have said a sphynx is a indoor cat, you can take them out on a leash, they love to explore but only if it is warm out. As far as potty training it is pretty much like any cat, show them where the box is an they use it. There can be the rare problem in makes with marking but in a one cat house that should be no problem.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
In general, the Sphynx is a very intelligent and naturally curious breed. I would discourage any interest in going outside, unless you have your kitty on a leash and have made it clear they get to go out with you only, not whenever they want to.

Litter box training is the same as with other cats. Sphynx kittens are smart and learn where to go quickly. Litter box issues tend to stem from things like finding the box unattractive, medical issues, and stress.

Welcome to Sphynx Lair. Good luck on your Sphynx search.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i dont normally take my kitties outside. we rescued one of our cats in June and she would try to scurry out here and there the first few weeks... im not sure how her living arrangments were before us. She worries me with her interest. However, once we found out Bronxe was terminally sick i started carrying him outside in my arms here and there. i dont let him run free. he's always showed interest, but never allowed him to go out. But i want his last few months with us to be special and i bascially let him do, eat, etc whatever he wants because i want him to be happy :) so i have carried him outside. we dont normally stand with our doors open because of Winnie trying to run out the those few times. but i know that if the door was open long enough 2 /3 would be gone in a heartbeat for the curiousity factor!
i would suggest not taking them out.. but lots of people on the site leash their kitties and let them out. you kinda gotta feel your cat out ya know?

as for potty time- Winnie was offered to us because she was having potty problems at her old family's house. i can HONESTLY say she has never gone outside of the box while living with us!! :) :)
Cats usually litter train easily. all my babies were all trained before we got them. the youngest cat i brought home was 4 1/2 months though.. so a younger kitty may take more time.

shaunc

Lairian
I would imagine that if a sphynx got outside in the winter in a colder region they would most likely die within a few hours. :(

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! You've received great advice already. Here is my two cents worth!

I treat my Sphynx as I would a two year old or infant. I never let Snuffie walk outside the door, I always carry her, that way she knows she cannot go out without me or an adult. I keep her on a leash at all times while outside. I keep small things around the house picked up so she doesn't get into them and potentially harm herself.
Its a general rule at this house..under no circumstances do you let the cats out!

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I made a sign on the computer and laminated it. It is on my front door and it says "Please do not let the cats out, no matter what they tell you"

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I made a sign on the computer and laminated it. It is on my front door and it says "Please do not let the cats out, no matter what they tell you"

I might have to adopt that sign from you! lol I like it...alot!:ThumbsUp:
I'll put it right underneath my hanging wooden kitty holding a sign that says,,"Strays welcome". lol

Back