Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm a new sphynx mommy - and I need HELP! =)

SmileyRTT

Lairian
Hi everyone,

My name is Crystal and I am a new mommy to 2 little boys (brothers). They will be old enough to come home in a few weeks - I think I am getting them April 15 or 16th. I am desperately trying to prepare for their arrival and would appreciate any information you can give.

A little background info - I have worked in the field of Radiation Oncology for over 10 years so I spend every day taking care of cancer patients. I only thought it was appropriate to name my new boys after my passion (and since a lot of my patients have no hair). Anyway, my creme boy will be named Kemosiri Rem and my blue and white boy will be named Kobalt Roentgen. They will be called Kemo and Kobalt.

Kemosiri Rem was chosen for a few reasons - after "chemotherapy" and Kemosiri is an Egyptian name. Rem is a radiation term which stands for Roentgen Equivalent Man - its a unit of measurement. Basically I just thought it was cute.

Kobalt Roentgen was chosen because Cobalt 60 is a source of radiation and of course Cobalt is also a 'blue color'. Roentgen is a unit of ionizing radiation.

I personally wanted to name them Roentgen and Rem...but my boyfriend (who helped buy my little boys) like Kemo and Kobalt better - so, I had to settle for using the names as their middle names.

I have had 2 hairy cats before (that's why I wanted 2 again) but never a sphynx - but, I think they are absolutely GORGEOUS little creatures!

Anyway - enough of the introduction and on to the important stuff.

We live in a loft (very open and all concrete floors) so anything I buy for them needs to not only be good for them - but also kind of cute since I have no 'hiding' places in the loft.

LITTER BOX: I am planning on purchasing a litter-robot. Can't decide on the standard size or the one with the 'bubble' for extra light and room - any thoughts?

LITTER: No idea what kind would be best for the kittens and with the litter robot.

FOOD: It seems like I've read that Royal Canin is good for Sphynx - I am not sure. Dry vs Wet food or both?

BED: I'm planning on buying a Sleepy Pod w/warmer so that not only can they sleep in it at home - it doubles as their carrier which will cause less stress.

DRINKING FOUNTAIN: I think I am going to go with the ceramic drinking fountainby Pioneer pet 6022 - Raindrop design.

SHAMPOO/EAR CLEANER: No idea what to use

VET: Should I choose a "cat only" vet or does it matter?

Any other tips/suggestions/favorites/etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi SmileyRTT and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! It's funny you asked, i was just compiling a list for new Sphynx owners so they can quick reference this information in one paticular place easily.

We live in a loft (very open and all concrete floors) so anything I buy for them needs to not only be good for them - but also kind of cute since I have no 'hiding' places in the loft.remember they need some warm spots, i noticed you said concrete floors.

LITTER BOX: I am planning on purchasing a litter-robot. Can't decide on the standard size or the one with the 'bubble' for extra light and room - any thoughts? if you can afford the larger or better one go for the gold!

LITTER: No idea what kind would be best for the kittens and with the litter robot. clumping litter, arm and hammer is a decent product.

FOOD: It seems like I've read that Royal Canin is good for Sphynx - I am not sure. Dry vs Wet food or both?We use Science Diet, and leave dry out all day, and wet twice a day, once in morning and once at night, small cans.

BED: I'm planning on buying a Sleepy Pod w/warmer so that not only can they sleep in it at home - it doubles as their carrier which will cause less stress.they will end up in your bed under the blankets, but its a good thought! LoL

DRINKING FOUNTAIN: I think I am going to go with the ceramic drinking fountainby Pioneer pet 6022 - Raindrop design.preference, but it is probably cool to have.

SHAMPOO/EAR CLEANER: No idea what to use We use J&J Baby shampoo and Epi-Otic made by Virbac for ear cleaning, no Q-Tips! Video we made here ,hope it helps http://www.sphynxlair.com/f47/sphynx-kitten-ear-cleaning-617/

VET: Should I choose a "cat only" vet or does it matter?Any good vet will do, our cats do get some weird issues some harry cats dont, but if this should arise come on in and ask and one of us will point you in the right direction.

Any other tips/suggestions/favorites/etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! It seems that admin answered your questions well! When you are searching for a vet ask them if they have any sphynx patients. I had a vet who was not familiar with them at all and was not good. Congrats on your new babies!! I have a cream male named Casper coming home in May! Cant wait to hear more and see pics!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Smileyrtt, Congrats on your babies you ae going to love them! It looks loke you have chosen perfect names, I love your passion for what you do.

Now to the kittys, I would add some baby wipes to your list they are great for a quick wipe down, a dirty but, and cleaning their nail and between toes.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I love the names! Wouldn't it be great if you could bring pictures or even bring kitties to cheer up your patients? I always thought a Sphynx would be a great therapy animal for someone going through chemotherapy.

Nice to meet you! Have fun with your new babes and I can't wait to see the photos.:BigSmile:

gizmo6370

Banned
Welcome :BigSmile:

As for food...i would go for a grain free one....something like Acana / Orijen etc.
My cats have lots of sleeping places....but always end up in bed with us ( i have 5 sphynx cats ):BigSmile:
Any good vet will do...

SmileyRTT

Lairian
Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions! I hope that they do end up sleeping with me in the bed but I want them to have a nice warm place to be while I am at work too (especially since we have the concrete floors). I am going to try to post the baby pictures I have of Kemo and Kobalt. When I get them in a few weeks - I'll be sure to take lots of new, updated pics to share. I am trying to not get too excited about 'showing them off' until I have them in my hands for sure...you just never know what might happen. I haven't told a lot of people (other than you guys) about them yet for the same reason. I do plan on taking them in to work and showing them off to co-workers and some patients once I have them home with me and think they are comfortable enough to meet strangers.

Thanks again for all of your help - it's so much fun shopping for the lil guys :ThumbsUp:

Attachments

• Kemo.jpg
    Kemo.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Kobalt.jpg
    Kobalt.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 64

ckutkuhn7

Banned
What precious little faces they have!!!! I'm so excited for you! I wouldn't have been able to say no to those little faces either!

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
therapy cats for chemo patients would be GREAT! In jax we have Wolfsons Childrens Hospital and that would be awesome when i got a cat!

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
I love the Kemo name. I named my first boy kitten that. It brought me my best friend that was just finnishing her chemo for brest cancer. She wanted to buy him but he was already sold. But she's now my best friend and has a different one of my kittens. Welcome to the Lair. I love htis place. Can't wait to see the babies when they get home.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the friendliest place I know! Your babies are beautiful! I agree with Gizmo about using a grain free kibble I like Call of the Wild, but different people like different kinds. I feed mine raw most of the time--but haven't totally abandoned the canned and dry--still use it sometimes--don't want them to refuse to eat if I unexpectedly run out.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
You already got good advice.
I feed Royal Canin kitten mixed with Royal Canin 33 for my new kitten.
My other 2 sphynx get N/B Duck with Green Pea.
Your kittens are cute.
I bet you can not wait to get them.

TheFlork

Lairian
awe geez, im really sorry to be the one to break it to you, but those are scam kittens, i almost fell for it too. let me guess only 300 dollars? and they will ship them to your door? here are the other pictures they probably sent you so you i feel your pain.
theres also another thread about them as well, ill see if i can find it.

Attachments

• Lynx3.jpg
    Lynx3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 28
  • crop-boy3.jpg
    crop-boy3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27
Back