Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm at a loss with this discharge

Oriana Luna

Lairian
My sphynx was well back home (Russia), non of the siblings have this problem.
when I went to get her at the airport she already have the discharge on her eyes and nose and ears.
I took her to the vet and they give me a medicine for the eyes and ears.
While she was on it she was doing fantastic and I thought that' the problem was over.
A few weeks after she started again to have the same symptoms.
I took her again to the vet, this time making sure the vet explain to me what is that she is getting
and from where (she is an indoor cat). He say that she has allergies and that lowers her immune
defenses and that is very common in this kind of breed.
Well, more medicine and another visit after that one and she gets better during the medicine
and when is finish she start again.
Description:
Clear tears come out her eyes. A few minutes later the clear liquid transform into a redish-brownish

Oriana Luna

Lairian
Sorry.
Clear tears come out her eyes. A few minutes later the clear liquid transform into a redish-brownish
substance that gets a little harder, Jello consistence.
May be one day or two after the nose start to have the same colour substance but hard to the touch..
She is white and her normal nose colour is pink.
Immediately after her ears start having that disgusting brown discharge and her body discharge a
brownish colour also. I have been told that they get dirty very easy, but this does not look normal.
She sleeps beside me and the bed gets dirty in patches like she had been sweeting.
Thanks for any help. I'm desperate.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
See if you can share a pic with us. Reddish brown discharge happens in ours...it is the color of eye boogers most find thrown around the house ughhh. As far as the hardening, only one of ours gets that. When discharge is yellowish/greenish that is usually a sign of infection.

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello and welcome! What's your girl's name, how old is she now, and how long have you had her? It would be very helpful if you could post pictures of the symptoms you're describing.

What medicines have you been prescribed by your vet? Did the vet perform any tests on her? I'm just wondering how he knew she was allergic...

It's really hard to say what's causing this in your girl, but some of what you are describing sounds like typical for the breed. Some tearing is normal and this can also mean they get these reddish/brown, gloopy eye boogers, which then harden when they dry out - both my both get these. The discharge from the ears you mention sounds like normal ear wax? One of my boys hardly has any earwax, but my other boy has a lot! It's thick and black, and I have to clean his ears once a week. I started getting this antifungal ear cleaning liquid which you squirt in the ears before cleaning, and with that I can go 1-2 weeks between cleaning.

The brown staining on your sheets sounds like she is rubbing off the brownish oil that builds up on the skin. How often do you bathe your girl? Do you wipe her daily with a wet cloth or baby wipe? I use WaterWipes daily on my boys, to clean the eyes and body, and that keeps them clean enough in between their monthly baths. They are completely free of any additives that can irritate their skin. Since they have no eyelashes they're prone to eye infections if they're not kept clean.

20190828_102916.jpg

Oriana Luna

Lairian
Thanks for the rapid response. Her name is Oriana Luna Alba because her pictures back home where taken with a lot of lights and she look very white and I thought she had a white fuss. My surprise was that she should had be called Pink Panter, LOL
The first picture is of us in the car after picking her up from the airport. I thought she was bleeding, because I never in my whole life have any cat with eye and nose discharge, and we have a lot of cats. She even pass some of her discharge into my dress I think you can see it.
The second picture is more or less as she supposed to look. Her nose supposed to be only pink.
Third and fourth pictures are of her with some of the awful thing, you can see her ears are disgusting but this is not the worst she has been. I never took a picture of her then. I'm more worried now because two weeks ago I got a 10 weeks old all white female Turkish mix and her face was very clean. After a few day at my house she started to show the same symptoms than Luna. The first picture is her the first day at home and the second is of her now if I do not clean her. The last picture is not the best, but she has the same thing on her ears, nose and eyes. To my looks like this is contagious. The vet give me Surolan for the ears, Ganciciovir, to put on her eyes and after 5 minutes Erythromycin on her eyes also. I using the same medicine for both of them now. Just that the little one is a lioness and is very hard to make the medicine to stick on her eyes specialy.
Something else, the brownish thing on Luna's skin is much worse since she start the medicine, It started to get bad the same night.
I do not remember any thing else right now.
Thanks very much to Catzzzmeaw, and Cinafina.

Attachments

Oriana Luna

Lairian
I do not know yet how this works, this is directed to Cinafina. It is possible for you to give me the name of the antifungal?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynlair! @Oriana Luna What a beautiful girl she is. And I love her name. On the photos her eyes looks normal to me! My sphynx do have lots of orange/brownish eye gunk too.

If you want to tag someone like @Cinafina you type an @ and then the name of the person. If you do it correctley you'll see name appear when you type the @ and the first letter of the name.

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I do not know yet how this works, this is directed to Cinafina. It is possible for you to give me the name of the antifungal?
Sorry, but I don't know the name of it! I used the last of it a few days ago, and threw away the box... There are a lot of ear cleaning liquids for pets to buy though, but if you're not sure what to get then ask your vet, because some are prescription only.

I use Q-tips to clean the ears (carefully!) and I use the liquid every other time I do it. In the picture of Oriana's ears, to me it just looks like normal wax/oil build-up, and same around the nose.... :confused: I see this on my ginger cat too - he gets reddish-brown crust around his eyes daily which I clean with baby wipes. I will post a picture of before and after cleaning so you can compare with Oriana :) Do you use wipes on her face and nose every day?

I admit I don't what the brown discharge in the nostrils can be, especially in the picture of your other kitten. It could be that both cats are displaying some cat flu symptoms, which flared up because of the stress of travelling to her new home. It's quite common in kittens since stress can lower the immune system, which is not fully developed in young cats, and it can of course be stressful moving.

Has your vet suggested a course of antibiotics at all, such as Doxycycline? The medicines you got sound good, but might not be enough, which could be the reason that she is better when using them, but same when you stop giving them.

Luna112

Lairian
Please have a respiratory PCR panel and herpes test done on your baby, she could have contracted something at the cattery, during the flight, or in your home, etc.
Your other kitten could have contracted it from your sphynx. I would probably seek a second opinion if what you're describing is still going on even after multiple rounds of medications and treatments.

Oriana Luna

Lairian
@Cinafina
The vet give her an injection of antibiotics and other one of steroids. I can not argue with the vet, but I have told him that if it is an allergic reaction due to her immune system been low why she gets better when she is on medicine? The medicine for the eye are both antibiotics and the one for the ears is to kill ear mites. He told me that this is very common in this breed. This does not satisfice me. Thanks for you patience.

Oriana Luna

Lairian
@Luna112
I incline to think that you are into something here. It took her 3 days of travelling from one city to Moscow, another two days between there and Canada. She was all dirty in poo and she already have that staff on her nose. The first pic I send is of her in my lap just after I pick her up. If you look at her face you can see that she even have some on her chick . Maybe she rub her face with her paws dirty with poo.

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Cinafina
The vet give her an injection of antibiotics and other one of steroids. I can not argue with the vet, but I have told him that if it is an allergic reaction due to her immune system been low why she gets better when she is on medicine? The medicine for the eye are both antibiotics and the one for the ears is to kill ear mites. He told me that this is very common in this breed. This does not satisfice me. Thanks for you patience.
The antibiotic injection might not have worked against whatever bacterial infection your cats might be suffering from. The one I mentioned, Doxycycline, is a broad spectrum antibiotic that often works well.

Also, a lot of vets that are not very familiar with the breed mistake normal sphynx earwax with ear mites. If I were in your shoes I would get a second opinion from another vet, like @Luna112 also suggested. I went to different vets with my boy until I found a clinic I feel I can trust and that are knowledgeable and caring!

Ultimately, it just sounds like the treatment is not really working and I would take my cats and money elsewhere if I was in your situation!

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Oriana Luna Please keep us posted on how you get on! There are no stupid questions and we all know what it's like to worry when our babies are unwell... It can sure make you feel helpless and frustrated when you struggle to find out what is going on! (((HUGS!)))

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How does that work for a cat to be transported over 5 days? Do they get fed? Are they in the crate the whole time? Do they get to go to the bathroom or have to do that on their bedding in the crate? Do they have water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oriana Luna

Lairian
How does that work for a cat to be transported over 5 days? Do they get fed? Are they in the crate the whole time? Do they get to go to the bathroom or have to do that on their bedding in the crate? Do they have water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
@Sheldon13 Sorry, I should have said 1 and 2 in total 3. But is still a lot. They are in the crate the whole time. The first day that they are still in Russia they are well taking care by the transporter that also breeds cats. But once they send them here, for the last 2 days nobody is with them. So they eat and soil in the same crate. She was all messed with poo and she had that thing on her eyes and nose. Yes they give them water.