Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Marinka

Lairian
Learning how to needle felt so this is my 1st attempt to make an animal face and of course I pick to make a sphynxie. Husband said it looks like a scary alien lol

Attachments

• IMG_20140110_104919.jpg
    IMG_20140110_104919.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 70

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh cool! I have looked at this in our yarn and craft stores but nevwr got up the nerve to try it. Do you like it? It is like sculpture isn't it?

Marinka

Lairian
Oh cool! I have looked at this in our yarn and craft stores but nevwr got up the nerve to try it. Do you like it? It is like sculpture isn't it?

I love it. There's two ways to work with felt I've tried: needle felting and wet felting. Both techniques are fun and very different. Needle felting is like sculpting so I would try something simple and not 3d...like flat leaf or flower. And if you do ever want to try make sure to get special protectors for your fingers to not poke yourself because it hurts real bad :arghh:
Look up tutorials on youtube and stuff on pinterest. ..There's a ton of info out there;)

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is neat! I'd say you got it :) a very good representation of our nakids!!!

I agree with your husband though.... But only because our kitties do look like weird aliens ;)

Marinka

Lairian
I bought all the stuff to make the Sphynx a felted pod cat bed and never did it.
Aww that was why I wanted to try felting in the first place. I made a small one 1st to see if I was doing it right to not waste wool, but when tried to make a big size it turned out to be too thin. Here are my attempts.
P.s. I think needle and wet felting is very meditative. ...same motion over and over and over lol kinda relaxes me after a day with a toddler who hit the terrible twos
20131226_210944.jpgIMG_20140117_232420.jpg

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aww that was why I wanted to try felting in the first place. I made a small one 1st to see if I was doing it right to not waste wool, but when tried to make a big size it turned out to be too thin. Here are my attempts.
P.s. I think needle and wet felting is very meditative. ...same motion over and over and over lol kinda relaxes me after a day with a toddler who hit the terrible twos
View attachment 20535View attachment 20536

Yes, that is exactly what I bought the wool and supplies to make. I bought wool from Etsy and had to wash it because it smelled like a farm (eeewww). LOL You have inspired me to try to make a pod. I have everything to make it not like I have an excuse. I will work on it and post pictures of my attempts.

PS where did you get the wool from??

Marinka

Lairian
Yes, that is exactly what I bought the wool and supplies to make. I bought wool from Etsy and had to wash it because it smelled like a farm (eeewww). LOL You have inspired me to try to make a pod. I have everything to make it not like I have an excuse. I will work on it and post pictures of my attempts.

PS where did you get the wool from??

Can't wait to see your results.
I LOVE Etsy. I bought my wool from Michaels...it's not very good quality but I just had to get it fast so I could get right to it and start making stuff lol. Im planning to order lots online so I can try and make a good cat/dog pod(I'd let our chihuahua sleep in it if he'd like it since we don't have sphynx yet) that will actually keep its shape haha
I have a great link to step by step tutorial how to make a small pod. I used those directions to make a big but in just didn't have enough wool to lay more layers. Let me know if you want the link.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I LOVE Etsy. I bought my wool from Michaels...it's not very good quality but I just had to get it fast so I could get right to it and start making stuff lol. Im planning to order lots online so I can try and make a good cat/dog pod(I'd let our chihuahua sleep in it if he'd like it since we don't have sphynx yet) that will actually keep its shape haha
I have a great link to step by step tutorial how to make a small pod. I used those directions to make a big but in just didn't have enough wool to lay more layers. Let me know if you want the link.

Ok, Our Michaels dose not carry wool so this is why I went to Etsy. I have watched a lot of U-Tube videos on how to make felted pods but I have been a bit intimidated. I going to try this felting pod thing next week!!

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would like the link! :)

Marinka

Lairian
I love the sphynx and the pod too...could you just lay more wool on it to thicken it?
Yep. That's exactly what I was suppose to do haha but didn't have enough. For the small one it requires 4 layers from both sides but for big one I would do 6 if not more. There's a tutorial for sale on etsy from a person who originally came up with the idea but im not paying 20 bucks for it. Ill figure it out myself because im cheap like that lol

Back