Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm getting my first sphynx kitten this weekend, I feel nervous, is it normal?

Meggymason

Lairian
Hi so I'm fairly new at this and I am getting my first kitten ever.... and it just so happens to be a sphynx! My boyfriend and I live together and after falling in love with our neighbors hairless little dude we decided to adopt our own. I'm not sure why but every day I have been so gut wrenching excited but today knowing I am 3 days away from getting our kitten I feel so nervous. I can't even explain it. Did this happen with anyone else? Also how long will my kitten be crazy hyper for? There will be times when I'm in class that he will have to stay at home for 3 hours or so. I'm just so nervous and the last thing I want is to be a bad owner or to later down the road regret getting a sphynx. Any helpful hints for a newbie?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Totally normal and I want to say congratulations on expecting! I am a seasoned Sphynx member (13 years) and I felt like a newbie when added to our family 4 years ago. I think it is the anxiety and excitement all wrapped up into one. The link to this part of the forum you might find helpful . Sphynx Cat Help Center

Looking forward to seeing updates.

Patti

Meggymason

Lairian
I am getting a male ( I think unless a lucky little girl steal our heart) but we are driving five hours to pick out a kitten from the breeder. They have 3 males and 1 female and we think we would like a male just because I heard males are more cuddly? Not sure about this though! Do you have males or females?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have had 1 male and females... it really boils down to how they are raised and the environment they grow up in. Just like humans each and every one is different. Be open minded and open hearted because your life is about to change forever.

Meggymason

Lairian
Thank you so much for the response I feel better knowing there is a community who has so much love and experience with the breed. I will upload photos when I get my kitty! :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi so I'm fairly new at this and I am getting my first kitten ever.... and it just so happens to be a sphynx! My boyfriend and I live together and after falling in love with our neighbors hairless little dude we decided to adopt our own. I'm not sure why but every day I have been so gut wrenching excited but today knowing I am 3 days away from getting our kitten I feel so nervous. I can't even explain it. Did this happen with anyone else? Also how long will my kitten be crazy hyper for? There will be times when I'm in class that he will have to stay at home for 3 hours or so. I'm just so nervous and the last thing I want is to be a bad owner or to later down the road regret getting a sphynx. Any helpful hints for a newbie?
Welcome and congrats on your almost new sphynx addition! They usually do just fine left alone, keep us posted on gotcha day and be sure to share some pics! (y)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Meggymason welcome to sphynxlair. And congratulations on your soon to be new addition.

Only 3 days from Gotcha Day! It's totally normal to be nervous. The gotcha day of my two boys was 2 years ago, day after christmas. During christmas I was a nervous wreck. Couldn't care abouth the food (normally I love food) or the present. I only wanted Christmas to be over so I could get my two boys.
I already visited them several times. So oh my! Can't even imagine how nervous I would be if I had to pick my kitten and have gotcha day on the same day. That must be so exciting.

Good luck and enjoy gotcha day. And don't forget to post pics her so we can see which baby is yours!

Natasja

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Oh the excitement, I remember to well.
You'll wonder, how, you ever lived without
your Sphynx.

Back