Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Im grieving... does my cat know?

GioThermal

Lairian
I just got back from the hospital where I was present when my grandpa passed away at 6:10pm tonight. Gio was at the door waiting for me as I walked inside my home and sat down. He jumped up on my lap and started licking my tears away purring like he's never purred before. I don't know if he was just happy to see me or if he knew I was hurting. Anyway, I felt like he was making his first attempt to console me. It was nice and made me feel better. My Grandpa John adored him. Im sitting here right now and Gio is leaning against me and looking at me with a concerned look on is face. It just makes me wonder if we have that connection. Anyway, I just wanted to share. Sorry for posting a "downer". :Cry:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. I do believe that animals are in tune with our feelings. I am sure that Gio knows that your are hurting and upset. Take comfort in your hairless friend and let him help you heal from your loss.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aww sorry about your grandpa. Im sure Gio does because Sphynx are very smart from what im reading. Ever since my roomate brought home a poodle i call "Useless", ive know that there is a big difference between an animal that emotes and ... Mr Useless.

I bet when youre sick Gio curls up with you to not cause too much trouble too. Ill pay you to take my roomate's poodle so you can see the difference :)

i hopeyou feel better. I was there when my mom died when i was 25 and it was an experience i wont forget.

susi794

Staff member
I am sorry for your loss. I have no doubt that Gio knows you are sad--he doesn't know why, but he knows you need him and he is responding to that. He loves you and when you hurt, he tries to help. When I got in my accident and thought I was going to die, my dog, Buck, who I lost just before Christmas, was my best friend. (I didn't have my cats yet). He listened to more sobs than any living being ought to have had to do and he never left my side. The love we shared was special. I rescued him from the shelter and he rescued me from despair. Gio loves you. He is trying to rescue you from being heartsick by filling your heart with his love.

Bella07

Banned
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. But, I do believe that animals can sense when we are down. When I am sick or sad, the animals change in my house. They cuddle up around me and won't leave my side until I am well again. So I bet Gio could sense your pain and was trying to console you in his own kitty ways....I am sending my best thoughts and prayers your way.

Treespirit

Lairian
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I agree with what everyone has said, that animals are very in tune with our emotions, but I think Sphynx even more so than other animals.

This is nothing to compare with what you are going through, but both involve tears: One of the first nights we had Lyra, I was watching a moving show. (I know, it's silly) I shed some tears and she licked them away! What sweet animals we have been blessed with.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm sorry to hear of your lose. I've lost 3 grandparents over the past two years and I know its hard. Cherish your memories and they will last forever!

I'm a true believer all of our 4 legged friends can sense when we are hurting. I'm glad Gio was there for you during this time.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry for your loss :Cry:

I'm sure Gio wants to comfort his upset mumma and knows when you are unhappy...Mug-Y can be the most aloof of cats but when the tablets ain't working like they oughta and things get too much he's always there to comfort me and cuddle and it sounds like Gio is doing the same for you.

Sending big hugs at this difficult time.

X

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Of course they can tell when your grieving, or sad, or sick. These guys seem to be excellent in the consling department. Espacially when i'm sick, I have both cats stuck to me like glue, and they wont leave me till i'm better.

GioThermal

Lairian
Thank you all for your responses. You all made me feel so much better. I am doing better now. I know he's in a better place... hopefully he is with my Gia in that special place. He loved the Sphynx breed. You all would have loved him. Good ol' farmer boy with a love for all animals.

Back