Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm heartbroken that Luigi is gone

ALD2K

Lairian
Hi SphynxLair.

I think my brother used to post here about his cat, Luigi (the one with feline hypersthesia, the amputated tail, and with the operation for his urinary tract). We all loved Luigi so much and after my brother got his dog, Luigi was just too rough with the puppy and so I offered to take him being that I am an experienced cat mom :) (and also that we live across the street from each other so Luigi wouldn't be far from his dad!).

I took care of Luigi for three beautiful years.

Sadly, he passed away. I am utterly heartbroken because he was my best buddy and he was just 7 years old. His life was cut way too short and unfortunately it was a life marred by so many medical issues. I don't know if it was due to bad breeding or if we just ended up with a "defective" cat (I hate that word), but he never got a fair shot in life. Almost from birth it was clear he was a special needs cat, but we did everything possible to make sure he lived a full life surrounded by people who loved him.

Last week he wasn't feeling well so I brought him to the vet and he got a shot of antibiotics and was feeling back to his normal self. He was running and playing and purring like his normal self and I was so happy he was doing better.

Well, yesterday I came home to find Luigi in the throes of a violent, very scary seizure. We brought him to the emergency vet but it was too late. Taking him out of his carrier, I just burst into tears. He had scratched himself all over and his skin was all red and blotchy. He was sweaty yet cold at the same time. Because he had been seizing for so long, he probably suffered brain damage and was no longer responsive. The vet gave him valium and we stopped the seizing until our family vet opened. By the time we got to our family vet he was even worse. The valium had worn off and he was growling and hissing at himself all the while violently seizing again.

With a heavy heart, we made the decision to put him down.

I'm just so heartbroken over this. I've had cats in my life, and cats that have passed (even cats I've grown up with), and no cat has ever had this profound effect on me, not even the cat I grew up with as a baby. Luigi followed me everywhere. Every time I sat down he curled up into my lap. Every time I laid down he ran and laid on my butt. Every time I had a blanket he ran to me and clawed his way into the "nook." He was my little heating pad. When I would come home, I would yell "Lu??" and he would pop his little head out from under the blanket and chirp back at me as if to greet me. He would sleep with me every night, his sweet little face draped over my neck (I loved when his little nose would whistle). I loved giving him his baths and rubbing his chin and petting between his little toes. I loved his little face crinkles and his funny meow (he sounded like he was saying "wow!" when he meowed).

He was just the best and I miss him so much. RIP, Luigi, my special buddy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396190919.810265.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396190919.810265.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 48

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So very sorry for the loss of your Luigi @ALD2K What a heartbreaking way to lose him by a seizure like this. You and your brother gave all your love to Luigi and he had a wonderful live. Hope you can find some comfort with eachother. Keep Luigi's memories close to your heart. Hugs

Sheldon13

Staff member
It is terrible that he was taken so young. Seizures like that are difficult to watch, but I’m sure he was comforted that you were with him at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Luigi the best life he could have had and you were lucky to have each other. I hope the pain in your heart eases soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ALD2K oh sweetie my heart breaks for you - I remember sweet Luigi .
(((comforting hugs)))) to you amd your brother -
So so sorry your bestie friend Luigi got his angel wings -
His world was filled with soo much love
your love for him leaps off the page .
(I truly get it ... I lost my first girl to horrid seizures )
Here for you ... PM me anytime ...

Luigi only knew your love
Fly high sweet Luigi boy
You touched hearts forever

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
ad16a42962c7bcf632c930cc5bb4610d.jpg

I am so sorry to hear of Luigi getting his wings. I do remember your brother sharing his journey with us and giving such love and care and helping many members with similar issues and taking the time to share his experience.Luigi was so lucky to continue to get this same love with you in your home. Luigi knew nothing but love and how lucky was he?! Please keep the best memories closest to your heart. Hugs are sent.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We send our prayers your way! So sorry for your loss! I know it's heartbreaking losing what you love the most...one day you will cherish your memories of the sunny days. Hugs!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That was a very touching story. It sounds as though both of you loved each other very much. Louigi was a special sphynx with a special soul. Sending big prayers from TX.

Robin Matsumoto

Lairian
Hi SphynxLair.

I think my brother used to post here about his cat, Luigi (the one with feline hypersthesia, the amputated tail, and with the operation for his urinary tract). We all loved Luigi so much and after my brother got his dog, Luigi was just too rough with the puppy and so I offered to take him being that I am an experienced cat mom :) (and also that we live across the street from each other so Luigi wouldn't be far from his dad!).

I took care of Luigi for three beautiful years.

Sadly, he passed away. I am utterly heartbroken because he was my best buddy and he was just 7 years old. His life was cut way too short and unfortunately it was a life marred by so many medical issues. I don't know if it was due to bad breeding or if we just ended up with a "defective" cat (I hate that word), but he never got a fair shot in life. Almost from birth it was clear he was a special needs cat, but we did everything possible to make sure he lived a full life surrounded by people who loved him.

Last week he wasn't feeling well so I brought him to the vet and he got a shot of antibiotics and was feeling back to his normal self. He was running and playing and purring like his normal self and I was so happy he was doing better.

Well, yesterday I came home to find Luigi in the throes of a violent, very scary seizure. We brought him to the emergency vet but it was too late. Taking him out of his carrier, I just burst into tears. He had scratched himself all over and his skin was all red and blotchy. He was sweaty yet cold at the same time. Because he had been seizing for so long, he probably suffered brain damage and was no longer responsive. The vet gave him valium and we stopped the seizing until our family vet opened. By the time we got to our family vet he was even worse. The valium had worn off and he was growling and hissing at himself all the while violently seizing again.

With a heavy heart, we made the decision to put him down.

I'm just so heartbroken over this. I've had cats in my life, and cats that have passed (even cats I've grown up with), and no cat has ever had this profound effect on me, not even the cat I grew up with as a baby. Luigi followed me everywhere. Every time I sat down he curled up into my lap. Every time I laid down he ran and laid on my butt. Every time I had a blanket he ran to me and clawed his way into the "nook." He was my little heating pad. When I would come home, I would yell "Lu??" and he would pop his little head out from under the blanket and chirp back at me as if to greet me. He would sleep with me every night, his sweet little face draped over my neck (I loved when his little nose would whistle). I loved giving him his baths and rubbing his chin and petting between his little toes. I loved his little face crinkles and his funny meow (he sounded like he was saying "wow!" when he meowed).

He was just the best and I miss him so much. RIP, Luigi, my special buddy.
Reading this brought me to tears, I’m so sorry you went thru this but knowing that Luigi was dearly loved, hopefully brings you some consolation and beautiful memories of your precious boy. God Bless you and Luigi

Back