Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm his Scratching Post?

KelseaLoren

Lairian
I have been having this strange problem with Oliver. He doesn't scratch anything, not the furniture (which is great) but he also doesn't scratch his scratching post... which wouldn't be a problem except he has adopted me as his new scratching post. At first it was when I was brushing my teeth or getting dressed when he would scratch on my legs like a scratching post, it didn't hurt or leave any marks, but I discouraged him from continuing, so he doesn't do that anymore (much). But now he always scratches at me when we wake up. Oliver will stretch really hard and scratch on me like a scratching post at the same time.

Why is he doing this? Is he marking me as his with the scent glands in his paws (god knows he rubs on me so much, I don't know why he would need extra marking). I am just curious if anyone else's babies do this. I have moved the scratching post next to my bed, and if I am awake enough to remember I always move him there and scratch at it to try and encourage him to scratch there instead. It never works, he just looks at me like I am crazy. Any tips? Any information on why he would rather scratch me over anything else? It's not mean scratching and he always curls right back up with me after. It doesn't really bother me, but I don't think it is a good behavior to have in case he tries it on other people.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our boys do this when I get home from work, and when they are excited for food time.

If it bothers you - sometimes when I am wearing nice pants I do this - I calmly unhook his paws and place them back on the ground and say "NO" and then pay no attention to him.

We find their favorite scratchers are the cardboard ones like the one in Bergan turbo.

KelseaLoren

Lairian
Our boys do this when I get home from work, and when they are excited for food time.

If it bothers you - sometimes when I am wearing nice pants I do this - I calmly unhook his paws and place them back on the ground and say "NO" and then pay no attention to him.

We find their favorite scratchers are the cardboard ones like the one in Bergan turbo.

That's what I do. Glad to know I am doing it right. It doesn't bother me but I just don't want him to get into the habit of it and then do it to someone who doesn't like it.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
@KelseaLoren - It sounds as if a few things are happening here, most likely, after being curled up and napping, he is probably getting his "stretch on!" Scratching your pant legs is actually pulling his body into a stretching position, stretching out his muscles throughout his entire body. Also when pawing or scratching you, he is leaving his "scent mark" through the scent glands in his paw pads.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He might not like the material on the scratching post. I thought that cats would scratch on anything. Nope. We made a fancy cat tower wrapped in sisal rope at the base, they never touch it.

They love the scratching post that I made wrapped in burlap fabric. Leo stretches his legs up and jumps up on your legs like a puppy in the mornings. Its his way to say good morning and get some lovin'!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry I thought it was sweet even tho it's not what you want him to do. He just loves you and claims you often so I just went awe awe...;)
Because Sincere and anastazia do that sometimes I just thought they wanted to be picked up now I know better.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Riley will stretch till he has my shirt on a claw and pull then I know he wants to be picked up. Both boys when little ruined umpteen pair of leggings with their nails using me to with climb up or to stretch .. Perhaps it should bother me but it doesn't leggings are just stuff .. And cheap stuff so I just replace leggings I'm not going to discipline them for every little thing they do but that just me I don't swear stuff stuff can be replaced

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He might not like the material on the scratching post. I thought that cats would scratch on anything. Nope. We made a fancy cat tower wrapped in sisal rope at the base, they never touch it.

They love the scratching post that I made wrapped in burlap fabric. Leo stretches his legs up and jumps up on your legs like a puppy in the mornings. Its his way to say good morning and get some lovin'!
Frida had those cardboard ones at first and never touched them. My sisters cat loves them but Frida will only scratch the sisal rope or burlap (or the sofa but that is discouraged strongly) you may want to ask your Breader what they were using because I think it has a lot to do with what they were used to as kittens

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We had a cat who lost a front leg, and after that, he used our shoes to scratch on. He really liked jogging shoes. Cleo has always scratched on our socks. She loves the thick fuzzy socks that I wear to bed. I have Raynaud's syndrome, so my hands and feet get really cold, to the point of pain. Even in the desert summers I wear socks to bed for my cold feet, much to Cleo's delight. She will scratch on any socks Bob wears, but they have to be on feet for her to scratch them. When she was a baby, she would scratch our friend's sock-clad feet if they took off their shoes in our house. This summer I have a cute pair of shoes that have fabric uppers, and Cleo has decided that they are okay to scratch too. As you might have guessed, we don't worry about this habit, except when claws need clipping. As @Lickleone says, these things are easily replaced.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Blue climbs me too, especially if he hasnt seen me for a few hours & always at 10pm treat time, all my jeans have pull marks on the sides near my hips & on the bum, if ive got pyjamas on he can sometimes start to pull them down !!! That i do stop lol but its nice to know im loved, well worth a few pulls in my jeans ;) xxx