Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm such a sucker!

Brooke

Banned
Well guys, it looks like I might be picking up this 12 year old calico female rescue this weekend!

I've been contemplating a kitten, but this little old fatty needs a good home. How could I deny her that? I'll keep ya posted..I'm sure after I go meet her I won't be able to leave empty handed!

Attachments

• helen 001.jpg
    helen 001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 37
  • helen 003.jpg
    helen 003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 29

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awww....Brooke, she's not so fat! She's a cutie! If you decide to take her home, she'll be sure to be loved! Good for you for taking her in.

If you wanna see a fat sphynx, the lady I got Piglet from has a sphynx who is clearly obese, named Yogi. I feel bad for the poor old thing. Piglet's former mom says that she was told when she adopted Piglet and Yogi that Yogi is Piglet's sister but I find that very hard to believe....they look and act NOTHING alike!

If I can find a pic of Yogi, I'll post it here...okay.... found one. She looks a little chubby here, but is fatter now than she is in the pic (poor cat). Yogi's mom says she doesn't know why this cat is so overweight. Still can't believe she and Piglet are related!

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 33

Brooke

Banned
Well, she's a senior kitty at 12 years old, so I know I'll probably have less time with her, which makes me a little sad...But, the way I see it, I only had 8 months with my first guy Harold and it was 8 months I wouldn't give back for anything!

I haven't told Walter yet. :Dizzy:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love her colors.
It is great you are getting a older cat.
I have a 17 year old cat with CRF.
I had her since she was a kitten and she always takes care of the younger cats even my sphynx.
I would love to see more pictures.
So many people would not get a alder cat.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, Piglet is an older kitty, too (9 years!) but she still acts like a kitten sometimes, so it's like having a younger cat. Besides, every moment I've had with her has been a gift...I'm sure you can relate with having Harold for the time you did!

Brooke

Banned
Awww....Brooke, she's not so fat! She's a cutie! If you decide to take her home, she'll be sure to be loved! Good for you for taking her in.

If you wanna see a fat sphynx, the lady I got Piglet from has a sphynx who is clearly obese, named Yogi. I feel bad for the poor old thing. Piglet's former mom says that she was told when she adopted Piglet and Yogi that Yogi is Piglet's sister but I find that very hard to believe....they look and act NOTHING alike!

If I can find a pic of Yogi, I'll post it here...okay.... found one. She looks a little chubby here, but is fatter now than she is in the pic (poor cat). Yogi's mom says she doesn't know why this cat is so overweight. Still can't believe she and Piglet are related!

Oh wow, wow. Okay, my new girl isn't so chunky after all! WOW!!

PS - Piglet is WAY cuter!! hehe

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh wow, wow. Okay, my new girl isn't so chunky after all! WOW!!

PS - Piglet is WAY cuter!! hehe

I agree! Piglet's got the better personality, too...she's so sweet, whereas Yogi is grouchy. Although I guess I would be grouchy, too, if I were an overweight sphynx. :Sweat:

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What a cutie! I would happily adopt a senior if one came along my path that needed a good home (remember I almost did before I adopted Haley and Cali)! And what a beautiful girl she is! Keep us updated!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Well, she's a senior kitty at 12 years old, so I know I'll probably have less time with her, which makes me a little sad...But, the way I see it, I only had 8 months with my first guy Harold and it was 8 months I wouldn't give back for anything!

I haven't told Walter yet. :Dizzy:

I knew it was coming!! She's beautiful, I love her :D

The good news is that at 12 years, her chances of HCM are lowered. Make sure to have your vet check her heart over really well when she goes in for her first exam, those murmurs are a big give away. I'm praying she turns out to be really healthy. Remember, the oldest lived cat is over 30 years...and he's part sphynx. You could still get another 15 years out of her!

Brooke

Banned
I knew it was coming!! She's beautiful, I love her :D

The good news is that at 12 years, her chances of HCM are lowered. Make sure to have your vet check her heart over really well when she goes in for her first exam, those murmurs are a big give away. I'm praying she turns out to be really healthy. Remember, the oldest lived cat is over 30 years...and he's part sphynx. You could still get another 15 years out of her!

That was the first thing that I thought of, PitRottMommy! Older cat, probably no HCM...

I"m going to see her today at 1:00. I know myself too well, I won't be leaving empty handed - unless she tries to claw my eyes out or something...highly unlikely with a sphynx :LOL:

expect photos later today!

PitRottMommy

Banned
That was the first thing that I thought of, PitRottMommy! Older cat, probably no HCM...

I"m going to see her today at 1:00. I know myself too well, I won't be leaving empty handed - unless she tries to claw my eyes out or something...highly unlikely with a sphynx :LOL:

expect photos later today!

How big is she anyway, Brooke? Is she bigger than Walter?

Buffy (my "little mama") weighs 5#, Baldwin and Buck weigh around 10. You can imagine how skinny she looks next to them, she's so petite.

Moonstone

Lairian
Very nice form you to take care of the 12 years old cute tortie girl ! She looks pretty, and is not fat at all !!!
:BigSmile:

I know some obese kitty...it's not like that, its worst than the pict of the piglet sister !
:Dizzy:

Brooke

Banned
Okay, guys, I got her!!

Here's the scoop (what I was able to get from the owner, he wasn't telling very much). She was part of a large collection of exotic cats. He had ocicats, bengals, maus, munchkins, they were all very beautiful. He also had another male sphynx. That was the biggest sphynx I've ever seen. He was at least 20 pounds. Not fat, either. Just HUGE. But, the man said he wasn't always friendly and I didn't want to risk taking him into the house with Walter. He also had one of those Bambino sphynxes with the short legs that had already been adopted.. I think there was a death in the family and that's why he was rehoming them. Not sure if they were his cats, or if they belonged to someone else, like I said, he wasn't really giving me any details. They were all kept outside in a large habitat. I wouldn't say they were abused in any way, but it sure was hot outside today. Nonetheless, I could tell that the cats all adored the man who was rehoming them, and clearly he was upset to have to let them go.

Anyway, Helen (that's my new sphynx's name) appears to be in good health. For her age, she has a lot of energy. She does have a cataract in one eye, but the other eye looks nice and clear, her ears were clean, her teeth look like I would expect them to look for her age, and she is super friendly. She just kissed all over me and purred the whole time I was there. Only one thing, I don't think her toenails have ever been clipped. In fact, when I brought her home, I took her into the spare room, and she couldn't even walk on the bed without her nails getting stuck in the blanket! First thing I did was cut them. I have to get a video of her walking, because I think she's adapted to having her nails so long, that she walks really funny. She lifts her back legs up really high off the ground with each step, I imagine to keep her nails from getting stuck to the carpet. It's really sad and really funny at the same time. I'm sure once she figures out her nails are short, she'll stop doing that...

So, we've been home for about half an hour. She's already made herself at home. Walked right up to Walter, sniffed him, and then used the litter box, and is now under a blankie making biscuits and purring herself into a stupor. I think she's really enjoying the air conditioner!

Walter is in the bedroom, pissed off and pouting. There was no fighting or anything, but he's not happy with me right now :Furious: I think I will go bribe him with some canned food and tell him I still love him the most.

Brooke

Banned
Oh, one more thing - she's not fat at all! She's a little bit round with skinny little legs, not as muscular as Walter, but overall she's smaller than he is and he's only 9 pounds.

I don't know why the guy told me she was fat!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe it is because sphynx have the round pouchy stomachs.
I am glad you got her and can not wait to see pictures.
I almost got a 9 year old sphynx but she needed to be the only cat.
She was in a rescue.
I can not wait to see pictures.

Brooke

Banned
Here's a couple of pics of Helen...and one photo of Walter (pouting)...

He's starting to come around already, though. I think they'll do fine. I still need to get a video of her silly walk. It's hilarious!

Attachments

• Helen.jpg
    Helen.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Helen2.jpg
    Helen2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 21
  • WalterPouting.jpg
    WalterPouting.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She i a typical sphynx alright.
Very friendly and purring the first day you get her.
She is cute!!!!
CLeo was the same way.

Brooke

Banned
Very nice form you to take care of the 12 years old cute tortie girl ! She looks pretty, and is not fat at all !!!
:BigSmile:

I know some obese kitty...it's not like that, its worst than the pict of the piglet sister !
:Dizzy:

Moonstone, is she a tortie or a calico? What's the difference? I always thought calico had more white with big spots (like Helen) and tortie was darker and the colors blended together more.

I didn't bother to ask the man who gave her to me what her coloring was called, he didn't have any papers for her or anything. Not that I care anyway - she's not in any condition to be going to shows! ...unless they have shows for half-blind geriatric cats? :LOL: And, I asked him so many other questions, that I forgot the biggest question of all - I forgot to ask if she was current on her vaccinations! I can't believe I didn't ask.

Oh well, she's going to the vet on Monday, so if she checks out okay, I'll just have him give her all her boosters.

She really is a sweet kitty, thank you guys for all the support.

I'm so glad I got her, and she is totally LOVING the air conditioned house, she's eating like a pig, exploring everything, had no issues using the litterbox, not at all bothered by Walter. But, she won't stop licking me. It's as if my skin tastes like bacon or something.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow she is totally in love with you already! That is so great. Gotta say I loved the look on Walters face:LOL: He had the "Don't even think about sitting in my bed" face :Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
Helen just got her clean bill of health from the vet. YAY! :BigSmile:

Plus, She was really well behaved for her bath last night AND, Walter isn't hissing at her anymore! :ThumbsUp: :Laugh:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Helen just got her clean bill of health from the vet. YAY! :BigSmile:

Plus, She was really well behaved for her bath last night AND, Walter isn't hissing at her anymore! :ThumbsUp: :Laugh:

Yay! Sounds like Helen is going to work out great! :Smile:

Back