Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

****IMPORTANT**** Drive To Keep Sphynxlair Alive

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I believe this is the news you were all hoping for…a chance to keep Sphynxlair going. Tom has decided to extend the Lair another month to think things over a bit more. So many have reached out to him and he was humbled that so many were deeply affected by his decision to close down Sphynxlair. He shared with the moderators that he truly still has a passion for the breed and how he continues to put time in behind the scenes a few hours every week to maintain the community. He has really allowed and trusted the moderators to be on the front-end interacting with members, but that can only go so far. No doubt it is awkward for him to ask for money…especially when he truly wished the community would run on donations. We shared with him that we believe many members do not understand that the forum is not free to maintain. There are monthly costs to host the site and a yearly license fee as well.

I looked back at the number of donations made since this January and there was a total of $26 donated…that doesn't even cover one month of the site’s expenses. He has enabled we Sphynx lovers to share all the fun stuff and get support from others on his wallet for quite some time. My first thought is, let’s get ahead of this so we never have to worry about seeing that kind of post again. I am suggesting we members rally and do a one time “Drive to Keep Sphynxlair Alive.” If you would like to make a donation, know that you can always make it anonymously. Everyone is in a different place financially at different times in their lives. We can make this initial drive one to remember, and then going forward, we need to remember we truly are the ones who keep this community alive through ongoing donations.

I think about how many Sphynx have found forever homes through this amazing community. This resource will be gone if this community closes as rehoming/adoption is not allowed in the FB group for a multitude of reasons. We have all made some amazing connections with others that love this breed and some will be friends for life…you just can’t build those kind of relationships with people in a FB group. So Lairians…for the next 30 days let’s Drive to Keep Sphynxlair Alive…so it can thrive like it did for so many years. By raising awareness, this will hopefully bring in more consistent donations after the drive.

Thank you all so much for pulling together and making Sphynxlair the best community ever.

wesleydeman

Lairian
Great news. This website has helped me a lot, since I am a very anxious person when I'm responsible for living things like glorious Sphynx cats. Hoping fellow new Sphynx lovers in the future, can also find help and ease of mind here.

I haven't been very active as of late, but been lurking now and then. I've had a new kitten (half maine coon) since may, but he had Giardia and I've been fighting it ever since. Has been a long 3 months, but it seems that perhaps his giardia is finally gone. Now hoping I don't have Giardia, since my belly has been acting strange too for the last month, but the lab in the hospital should be testing it this week.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@wesleydeman thanks for popping back in updating us on how things are going. Shoot I hope you don’t have it now…continue to update us. I know it can be contagious to humans but I don’t recall it happening and your info can help others. Just hoping you have a bug though…we need pics of the new kitten!!!

wesleydeman

Lairian
@wesleydeman thanks for popping back in updating us on how things are going. Shoot I hope you don’t have it now…continue to update us. I know it can be contagious to humans but I don’t recall it happening and your info can help others. Just hoping you have a bug though…we need pics of the new kitten!!!
Posted one on my profile wesleydeman.

Letitia

Lairian

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is great news. I often forget to donate because it's tucked away at the bottom of the page and I don't often scroll that far. Could it be more prominent or could there be a way to set up a monthly payment? What are the monthly running costs and how much would Tom need to source

wesleydeman

Lairian
From what I see in the XenForo documentation, recurring subscription are an option (account upgrade). I think some members would be willing to spare e.g. $1 to $5 per month, I would be. Edit: I just noticed when opening my profile options on the top right, account upgrades is already an option. But currently just for "Advertisement for the Sphynxlair mall." for 1 month.

You can then also include a forum section specifically for the members with recurring subscriptions, or just a subscriber group so you get that "tag" on your profile to "show off" you support the Sphynxlair montly, or both. I wouldn't lock out information regarding Sphynx care in a subscriber only forum, but e.g. just a chit chat forum for subscriber gives them that nice little extra for supporting Sphynxlair.

Let's say you would do subscriber groups, you can even make different groups (tiers). E.g. $1 tier, $5 tier, $10 tier et cetera. And perhaps give the different groups (tiers) "nice/funny" names, also just that nice little extra.

You could also e.g. make custom background profile banners just be a thing people in a subscriber group can do, from what I read here. I don't see them really used right now and everyone can do it right now, but if staff and subscribers would actually use them. It could perhaps also be an incentive to support Sphynxlair. I've just set one up, if you're on PC hover of my username or profile image on the left, or go to my profile to see such profile banner.

Let's be positive and let's say this subscriber thing takes off, so plenty of donations come in via this method. You could e.g. also organize giveaways just for subscribers. E.g. some clothing for Sphynx cats.

Okay, I'm done rambling my thoughts, thanks for reading :0

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
From what I see in the XenForo documentation, recurring subscription are an option (account upgrade). I think some members would be willing to spare e.g. $1 to $5 per month, I would be. Edit: I just noticed when opening my profile options on the top right, account upgrades is already an option. But currently just for "Advertisement for the Sphynxlair mall." for 1 month.

You can then also include a forum section specifically for the members with recurring subscriptions, or just a subscriber group so you get that "tag" on your profile to "show off" you support the Sphynxlair montly, or both. I wouldn't lock out information regarding Sphynx care in a subscriber only forum, but e.g. just a chit chat forum for subscriber gives them that nice little extra for supporting Sphynxlair.

Let's say you would do subscriber groups, you can even make different groups (tiers). E.g. $1 tier, $5 tier, $10 tier et cetera. And perhaps give the different groups (tiers) "nice/funny" names, also just that nice little extra.

You could also e.g. make custom background profile banners just be a thing people in a subscriber group can do, from what I read here. I don't see them really used right now and everyone can do it right now, but if staff and subscribers would actually use them. It could perhaps also be an incentive to support Sphynxlair. I've just set one up, if you're on PC hover of my username or profile image on the left, or go to my profile to see such profile banner.

Let's be positive and let's say this subscriber thing takes off, so plenty of donations come in via this method. You could e.g. also organize giveaways just for subscribers. E.g. some clothing for Sphynx cats.

Okay, I'm done rambling my thoughts, thanks for reading :0
I like the way you think.

PS: one of my nakeds looks like yours. :) Exact same eye colour too -- not that you can tell from the pic I just posted. ha
1694617333966.png

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nudebea , awh. hugs. I share the same sentiments about my babies.
Wilson touched my heart forever and could not have asked for a better mum.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , and all

one of the things I am going to do is collect my spare change in a keep "Sphynxlair Alive" change jar dedicated to donation.

going to get one of $13 coin counters I saw on amazon to make it easier. I did not want to use a coin machine in store that often charges a fee.
I checked with my bank:

Yes, Chase accepts coins, as most local banks and credit unions do, but a bucketful of coins is a “no-no,” only coins wrapped in those paper rollers. It is a chore, but the good news is, the paper rollers are free. Chase, according to ***, accepts unlimited rolled coins for deposit or paper cash from account holders.Feb 7, 2023

imagine what we can save up with loose change {=

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
well, looks like I don't need to roll my own coins. I called the credit union. they have a change machine. no charge up to $200 in coins! it was definitely worth the phone call to bank. some coin machine places charge up to 11.9% (or 12 for every 100 in coins cashed in)

woo hoo!

Back