Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Impossible to keep clean!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Staceyxxx , product suggestions?
Hi, I used to bathe Binky every week also but the dermatologist vet told me off he said it was too often, so I bathe her every 3 weeks now, she is usually dirty but doesn’t really do her any harm. I clean her face n eyes Daily with warm water n a cotton pad! She takes care of the rest herself grooming! They are lots of different shampoos you can use, I get mine on pet prescription uk as you get them at a good price and Binky has allergies so I use one which was recommend from the vet! U can use wipes Or a warm cloth to wipe the kitty down In Between bathes! Due to Binky having skin issues and allergies she has to use clay litter which is a bit dusty n she digs a tunnel in it, so she can get a bit dirty, but I have been leaving her dirty n we haven’t had any issues with her skin in a while now! Xxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, I used to bathe Binky every week also but the dermatologist vet told me off he said it was too often, so I bathe her every 3 weeks now, she is usually dirty but doesn’t really do her any harm. I clean her face n eyes Daily with warm water n a cotton pad! She takes care of the rest herself grooming! They are lots of different shampoos you can use, I get mine on pet prescription uk as you get them at a good price and Binky has allergies so I use one which was recommend from the vet! U can use wipes Or a warm cloth to wipe the kitty down In Between bathes! Due to Binky having skin issues and allergies she has to use clay litter which is a bit dusty n she digs a tunnel in it, so she can get a bit dirty, but I have been leaving her dirty n we haven’t had any issues with her skin in a while now! Xxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is the shampoo we use but you have a wide choice to choose from! X{=x and it’s cheaper than the vet xxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Attachments

• 303AD5CC-EDFD-4D72-99D3-F9F15A762A20.png
    303AD5CC-EDFD-4D72-99D3-F9F15A762A20.png
    47 KB · Views: 30

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Staceyxxx the problem with mine is he has been developing a staph infection. The vet is sure he's allergic to something and the staph is secondary to that, but I can't figure out what he's allergic to. It's been going on for months.....as long as I bathe him his skin is OK, but if I don't bathe him the staph comes back.

I'm using a medicated shampoo that the vet recommended - Duoxo Chlorhexidine. It seems to work well and It's only the frequency of the baths that's a bit much. I would love to be able to use wipes, but there again the staph comes back.

In the beginning, the vet gave him some steroidal injection which worked great. But when I spoke with him about repeating it, he discouraged me and said the infection wasn't bad enough to keep giving him injections. He also said there is an allergy medicine that was supposed to come out in 2020 (although with Covid who knows) from a company called Zoetis that makes pet pharmaceuticals. Or maybe I'll get lucky and his allergies will go away before then.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Staceyxxx the problem with mine is he has been developing a staph infection. The vet is sure he's allergic to something and the staph is secondary to that, but I can't figure out what he's allergic to. It's been going on for months.....as long as I bathe him his skin is OK, but if I don't bathe him the staph comes back.

I'm using a medicated shampoo that the vet recommended - Duoxo Chlorhexidine. It seems to work well and It's only the frequency of the baths that's a bit much. I would love to be able to use wipes, but there again the staph comes back.

In the beginning, the vet gave him some steroidal injection which worked great. But when I spoke with him about repeating it, he discouraged me and said the infection wasn't bad enough to keep giving him injections. He also said there is an allergy medicine that was supposed to come out in 2020 (although with Covid who knows) from a company called Zoetis that makes pet pharmaceuticals. Or maybe I'll get lucky and his allergies will go away before then.
Aww bless ya, there is a lot going on! I really don’t have any Experience with a staph infection! Allergies are such a mind field as the test shows somethings but not everything so it’s trial and error with food, litter everything and then getting the correct medication for the kitty! It will probably take some time! But if bathing is keeping the infection away then your doing the right thing! Binky had a few steriod shots but the vet seen that it was a long term thing and referred us to a dermatologist which helped greatly! I wish u all the best n keep us updated xxxxhugsxxxx

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aww bless ya, there is a lot going on! I really don’t have any Experience with a staph infection! Allergies are such a mind field as the test shows somethings but not everything so it’s trial and error with food, litter everything and then getting the correct medication for the kitty! It will probably take some time! But if bathing is keeping the infection away then your doing the right thing! Binky had a few steriod shots but the vet seen that it was a long term thing and referred us to a dermatologist which helped greatly! I wish u all the best n keep us updated xxxxhugsxxxx
Yes, I've been trying to take away certain foods and see if that took care of it. I'm just stumped. The vet said he wasn't that bad, so I'm just managing it with more baths. He doesn't like baths but he wouldn't like allergy shots, either. He probably would rather have the staph lolol

Does Binky take any meds for allergies? Or are you just managing with shampoo and wipedowns? Maybe I don't do a good enough job wiping him down; in a way it's easier to just bathe him. Well, I also have to mop the bathroom floor when we're done so it's not less work altogether, but I can clean him better in the bath.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, I've been trying to take away certain foods and see if that took care of it. I'm just stumped. The vet said he wasn't that bad, so I'm just managing it with more baths. He doesn't like baths but he wouldn't like allergy shots, either. He probably would rather have the staph lolol

Does Binky take any meds for allergies? Or are you just managing with shampoo and wipedowns? Maybe I don't do a good enough job wiping him down; in a way it's easier to just bathe him. Well, I also have to mop the bathroom floor when we're done so it's not less work altogether, but I can clean him better in the bath.
:0 Binky hates baths also she screams the whole time! She takes medication daily! She take atopica and half a steriod tablet every 2nd day! We have been reducing it, she used to take a whole steriod everyday and cerenia half a tablet! When she came off the steriod all together she had a flare up! Due to covid we communicate through email so think the half a tablet will be every third day soon and see how we go from there! It’s honestly trial and error! She eats specific dry cat food which has helped! She wouldn’t touch the wet one of it! She’s a fuss pot! It’s just one of them things Binky was on the same food then out of the blue she took allergies to everything, she was sick as a kitten so unsure if it was her immune system but the vet said it can just happen! Binky started biting at her skin which caused a wound soo had to put clothes on her which she hated!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Binky when her allergies where bad!

Attachments

• F4D16F92-4D82-43BB-839E-BDAEB1F24CBD.jpeg
    F4D16F92-4D82-43BB-839E-BDAEB1F24CBD.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 29
  • EC394D54-DD73-4966-B263-157B348E4F8E.jpeg
    EC394D54-DD73-4966-B263-157B348E4F8E.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 27
  • F10FBD6F-8E8A-4DA0-9A6C-C4EBA1A67275.jpeg
    F10FBD6F-8E8A-4DA0-9A6C-C4EBA1A67275.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 27

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Binky when her allergies where bad!
Luckily Henry doesn't get that bad. But he be-bops between scratching and sneezing, sneezing and scratching, it's always something.

At least his poop is normal. When I first got him it wasn't but raw food cured that. That was the easy part. The hard part is he's a fussy eater. I have to follow him around with a plate of food. My other 2 cats see it and they want some too, so I went from feeding them twice a day to 4 times a day. I'm not 24 hours service but i'm not that far off :0

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Luckily Henry doesn't get that bad. But he be-bops between scratching and sneezing, sneezing and scratching, it's always something.

At least his poop is normal. When I first got him it wasn't but raw food cured that. That was the easy part. The hard part is he's a fussy eater. I have to follow him around with a plate of food. My other 2 cats see it and they want some too, so I went from feeding them twice a day to 4 times a day. I'm not 24 hours service but i'm not that far off :0
I:0:0:0bless ur a kitty slave, it happens to us all! Your a good mummy!{=

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Update on Henry - this last time he went about 2 weeks in between real baths. I still wiped him down in between baths but overall his skin looked pretty good. He would still sneeze quite a bit though. I'm sure he's allergic to something but exactly what I haven't figured out yet.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Update on Henry - this last time he went about 2 weeks in between real baths. I still wiped him down in between baths but overall his skin looked pretty good. He would still sneeze quite a bit though. I'm sure he's allergic to something but exactly what I haven't figured out yet.

Sneezing is usually due to environment allergies (as opposed to food allergies). I’m sure you’ve looked into all the detergents and cleaners you use, so it may just be down to something in the air.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sneezing is usually due to environment allergies (as opposed to food allergies). I’m sure you’ve looked into all the detergents and cleaners you use, so it may just be down to something in the air.
He's been a sneezer since before I got him but he did test positive for calicivirus so that could be why.

The skin issues are new though. My guess was pollen but I'm not sure. For one thing I keep the windows closed. But anyway his skin is better so if it gets worse now I don't think it can be pollen.

Amelia Cooper

Lairian
Update!

Changed the litter to a dust free, clumping litter and started wiping her down with coconut oil and exfoliating gloves before a bath which loosens up all the dirt. She's now staying fairly clean for about a week! :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
Update!

Changed the litter to a dust free, clumping litter and started wiping her down with coconut oil and exfoliating gloves before a bath which loosens up all the dirt. She's now staying fairly clean for about a week! :)

Sweet! Good sleuthing!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back