Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

In need of help!!!

mamatiger2

Lairian
Hi!

I rescued my little girl about a month ago. I read up on things I had to do to keep her skin healthy but I think I’ve messed up!! As you can see in the photo she’s got a “rash” it doesn’t seem to hurt her but it is flaking and I’m worried I’ve hurt her skin unintentionally. I’ve been using mild baby shampoo in her bath which she gets once a week, then some coconut lotion to moisturise. If she’s a little bit dirty in the week, I wipe her down with a sensitive baby wipe. Have I messed up?! Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 48

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We all live and learn. Stop with the coconut oil. It is probably attracting more dirt. I would cut back on the baths…try going 2 weeks so the skin can balance its self out. Be sure when you are bathing you rinse with fresh water and rinse completely…the areas not fully rinsed often turn filthy orangey/flakey within a day of the bath.if not fully rinsed. We often see the face, neck, belly, armpits get filthy the fastest because they are the hardest to rinse fully and we humans rush. @mamatiger2

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi!

I rescued my little girl about a month ago. I read up on things I had to do to keep her skin healthy but I think I’ve messed up!! As you can see in the photo she’s got a “rash” it doesn’t seem to hurt her but it is flaking and I’m worried I’ve hurt her skin unintentionally. I’ve been using mild baby shampoo in her bath which she gets once a week, then some coconut lotion to moisturise. If she’s a little bit dirty in the week, I wipe her down with a sensitive baby wipe. Have I messed up?! Thank you
I agree with @Catzzzmeow. stop the coconut oil lotion and extend bath days to 2 weeks. I would also make sure she is rinsed off well. Many here use hylyt shampoo as it is gentle and rinses off well. Hopefully these tips will help your little one's skin.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mamatiger2 , awh... agree with stopping the coconut oil.. is the baby shampoo , food ? bowls the same she used at previous owner? sharing my first sphynx came to me with baby shampoo instructions. I learned it has a different ph and I switched shampoos. we have several members in your area that can chime in with their shampoo product suggestions, @Beckinboots and others.
I switched shampoos, I also stopped coconut oil. I learned about exfoliating gloves from group. I can go longer between full spa days letting skin do its natural thing. I do weekly wipe downs. its a learning process to see what works best for our babies. we are here for you. hugs n head smooches.

btw, did you change foods? type of bowls? do you use plastic bowls? I switched to stainless bowls and ceramic bowls.

hugs n head smooches keep us updated

I just looked and see from previous posts @Beckinboots uses Dorwest oatmeal shampoo

mamatiger2

Lairian
@mamatiger2 , awh... agree with stopping the coconut oil.. is the baby shampoo , food ? bowls the same she used at previous owner? sharing my first sphynx came to me with baby shampoo instructions. I learned it has a different ph and I switched shampoos. we have several members in your area that can chime in with their shampoo product suggestions, @Beckinboots and others.
I switched shampoos, I also stopped coconut oil. I learned about exfoliating gloves from group. I can go longer between full spa days letting skin do its natural thing. I do weekly wipe downs. its a learning process to see what works best for our babies. we are here for you. hugs n head smooches.

btw, did you change foods? type of bowls? do you use plastic bowls? I switched to stainless bowls and ceramic bowls.

hugs n head smooches keep us updated

I just looked and see from previous posts @Beckinboots uses Dorwest oatmeal shampoo
Thank you all so much! I can’t get over how lovely this group is! I will keep you updated! Xx

Sekhmet

Lairian
For me, it looks just dirt
Just use only 100% extra virgin coconut oil and really thin coat.
Douxo pyo shampoo is good to get rid of the dirt and irritated skin conditions.
You can get it from Pets at home or Amazon :)

Back