Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Inconvenient Raw or Picky Cat?

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Raw feeding 2x/day is hard when they don’t like eating leftovers and one cat always has leftovers to tempt the other cat with though they’re fed exactly the same food.

Not keen on wasting food...They don’t like Instincts Raw at all or any of those convenience raw kibbles.

Harley (1 yr, 2 mo) used to be 7.5 lbs and now she is just 6.1 lbs coz she is “tired” of this raw food she used to love (ran out of kibble last wk so had to do pure raw for a week). It’s like she wants new flavour every 3-4 days instead of every 2 wks. Is this common?

They are currently fed 2x raw and 1x kibble daily.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine used to be like that when I would rotate between a few different raw proteins. I noticed that kangaroo was their ultimate favorite and they would scorf it down no matter what, they were only pick with other proteins (chicken, beef, turkey, salmon).

So now I only feed kangaroo and have recently starting introducing Buffalo so that they don't get sick of just kangaroo, even though I don't think that would ever happen.

Do you notice there's a specific protein/flavour that Harley really likes?

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mine used to be like that when I would rotate between a few different raw proteins. I noticed that kangaroo was their ultimate favorite and they would scorf it down no matter what, they were only pick with other proteins (chicken, beef, turkey, salmon).

So now I only feed kangaroo and have recently starting introducing Buffalo so that they don't get sick of just kangaroo, even though I don't think that would ever happen.

Do you notice there's a specific protein/flavour that Harley really likes?

She really likes beef but she’s allergic to it. Goat is next best but she still has some left overs. Chicken is the one she doesn’t like anymore. I haven’t tried other novel protein sources. Is there a single patty sample of each kind in a pack available anywhere to try?

Do u supplement with kibbles or wet or just pure raw? I ask coz the only reason I have kibble is back up for when they don’t eat as much raw or when I forget to thaw their raw food. I feel like its drawback is Harley would hold out for the kibbles later.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know for sure that the brand I use (Big Country Raw) gives out samples to try. I buy mine at Pet Valu, but you can get it from multiple stores (they'll all give samples). They also have a return policy. So say you bought a box of 4 pounds (they're in sealed 1 pound packages) and they don't like one of them, you can return the other 3 pounds for a full refund.

I do straight raw, no kibbles. It took me a while to get a good system down for thawing so that I wouldn't forget/run out. Basically I always have 2 pounds in my second fridge at all times. Once the main fridge is all out of the 2 pounds it had, I take the 2 from the spare fridge that are now fully thawed, and replace it with 2 frozen packages from the freezer.

Sheldon13

Staff member
She really likes beef but she’s allergic to it. Goat is next best but she still has some left overs. Chicken is the one she doesn’t like anymore. I haven’t tried other novel protein sources. Is there a single patty sample of each kind in a pack available anywhere to try?

Do u supplement with kibbles or wet or just pure raw? I ask coz the only reason I have kibble is back up for when they don’t eat as much raw or when I forget to thaw their raw food. I feel like its drawback is Harley would hold out for the kibbles later.

I always had good luck with rabbit. My picky kitty would still eat it even when refusing all others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back