Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Incredibly Hurt and Disgusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

susi794

Staff member
You're all familiar with the book called "blank" that Chanel is putting out, right? Well, I submitted a bunch of pictures for the book and heard from her Facebook page that she is taking preorders and to email her if you wanted more than one copy, which I did. I asked if any of the pics made it to the final copy and she sent me back an email saying that they did, and that all she was waiting for was a copy of the book overnighted to her and if she liked it, they can start printing that same day.
Well, this is where I start to get horribly upset, since she tells me she used the pic of baby Othie kissing Moody but she calls it "Moody and Maria". She said she hoped that wasn't wrong. I emailed her right back and said it was wrong, it was Moody and Othie Marie. She writes me back and tells me that she thought Othie was a typo meaning "other" and she didn't know how she got Maria from Marie other than she was up real late at times working on it....that she's real sorry but that she emailed the publisher and they supposedly said there is nothing to be done about it. She said she has used 21 of my photos, but can understand if that makes me not want to buy one.
I don't believe there is nothing that can be done--until the book is in your hands there is something that can be done.

I gave her my photos in good faith, believing they would be represented in her book accurately. Having Othie's name as Maria ruins the whole darn thing for me. Othie was named after my mother (who has passed away) because she was born on my mom's birthday. Among all my cats, her name means the most to me. So now, I will have to take this gorgeous book and show it to people, but then have to say, "I know it says Maria, but they got it wrong." It makes it seem crappy to me--not well done. Now I know that my pics aren't that important to her because they aren't the cover shot or big enough resolution to make them large in the book, but she told me I have almost more pics and content than anybody else in the book.
What do I do? Do I let this ruin the whole thing for me? I don't understand why she can't have it fixed. She said she had to approve it before it gets printed, now she's telling me something else.
I am so incredibly hurt that she didn't ask me to approve the names of my cats if that is the case that I have almost more than anybody else. She said a lot of the cats pics don't have the names of the cats on them, but they all have the name of the person who took the picture.
This has gone from a joyful thing I was looking forward to, to something that just hurts me to the core. I know you are all going to think I am crazy--to just forget it and get the book, but I feel so betrayed and I have been crying ever since. I would rather she had put no names on it than to get them wrong.
What would you do? Buy the book anyway and be bothered forever, or just not get it and feel screwed?

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you were hurt Susi, I don't know what to tell you. The book will not be featured here due to the small advertisement fee we charge of a mere 25.00 dollars here on Sphynxlair that she had declined which is approximately the price of one book. I myself feel cheated being that some if not all our member from Sphynxlair have contributed to her book and she chose to advertise elsewhere for free. Well maybe the three people that frequent there will buy a copy.

cchloerun

Banned
Susan, I am sorry you are so upset. I understand where you are coming from and I wish everything were so simple. I know it looks that way from your end. I'm sorry my kindhearted project for HCM awareness in our kitties is soured to you. My first and foremost responsibility with this book is helping raise HCM awareness and funds for research. I understand how many of the people who have submissions in the book are forgetting this and focusing on “their Sphynx†rather than the overall HCM picture. My babies mean the world to me as well and it is very easy to do. The book is very nicely done, in spite of your negative and very public speculation. Your photos made it in because I liked them regardless of their resolution. The resolution is the only limiting factor on why I couldn't place your photos as larger ones. Hence the reason I asked for 300dpi or larger.

I had to make a very difficult decision on whether to scrap this run over one misspelled name (which I have already personally, and very humbly apologized for) which due to the book already being at the printer and my finances that are almost drained from this book, will set the release back by quite some time. I can accept the finances on my end but the additional cut and time it would take from HCM research was unacceptable . This would be a disservice to all the HCM kitties out there as time is of the essence. This is about them, not us. I hope you can understand. I think you are a great person and great advocate of the Sphynx breed. I know the pain of having your name, your husband's name or your kitties name misspelled- It happens to me all of the time- whether school, work, internet or the vet. I accept and understand no disrespect was intended and move on. I understand if you can't do the same, everybody is different. Once again, my mistake, my fault and my apologies. I am only human and trying to do the best I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

susi794

Staff member
Susan, I am sorry you are so upset. I understand where you are coming from and I wish everything were so simple. I know it looks that way from your end. I’m sorry my kindhearted project for HCM awareness in our kitties is soured to you. My first and foremost responsibility with this book is helping raise HCM awareness and funds for research. I understand how many of the people who have submissions in the book are forgetting this and focusing on “their Sphynx” rather than the overall HCM picture. My babies mean the world to me as well and it is very easy to do. The book is very nicely done, in spite of your negative and very public speculation. Your photos made it in because I liked them regardless of their resolution. The resolution is the only limiting factor on why I couldn’t place your photos as larger ones. Hence the reason I asked for 300dpi or larger.

I had to make a very difficult decision on whether to scrap this run over one misspelled name (which I have already personally, and very humbly apologized for) which due to the book already being at the printer and my finances that are almost drained from this book, will set the release back by quite some time. I can accept the finances on my end but the additional cut and time it would take from HCM research was unacceptable . This would be a disservice to all the HCM kitties out there as time is of the essence. This is about them, not us. I hope you can understand. I think you are a great person and great advocate of the Sphynx breed. I know the pain of having your name, your husband’s name or your kitties name misspelled- It happens to me all of the time- whether school, work, internet or the vet. I accept and understand no disrespect was intended and move on. I understand if you can’t do the same, everybody is different. Once again, my mistake, my fault and my apologies. I am only human and trying to do the best I can.

Chanel,
First of all your attempt to make me look like an evil witch who is taking the money for HCM research away from poor little suffering cat babies, was sad. I came here, not to run down your book, but to have people--my friends here on the Lair--convince me the name thing wasn't that important.

This doesn't have anything to do with the size of the pics you used. You made an executive decision to leave the name wrong--based on money. FINE. I just resented you pretending there was nothing you c0uld do about it. You lied to me and tried to blame it on the printers--you should've just said it was too expensive to change it--at least that would've been the truth.

I will reiterate my opinion that when people donate images to a book, the least they should be able to expect is that they are represented correctly. The part of the book I have seen is gorgeous--as I have also publicly shared-- on Facebook among other places. I'm sure everyone but me is going to be thrilled. I haven't decided whether or not I want a copy, but then again, perhaps you don't even want to sell me one anymore anyway.

I am just profoundly sad about this whole thing.

I notice that no one else is responding and I think it ill advised to continue this conversation on this forum--I was simply asking for advice from my friends here, not asking for people to take sides.
So, I will retreat to a different place to lick my wounds and let the rest of you get back to whatever it was you were doing.

Susi and the gang

cchloerun

Banned
Sorry you were hurt Susi, I don't know what to tell you. The book will not be featured here due to the small advertisement fee we charge of a mere 25.00 dollars here on Sphynxlair that she had declined which is approximately the price of one book. I myself feel cheated being that some if not all our member from Sphynxlair have contributed to her book and she chose to advertise elsewhere for free. Well maybe the three people that frequent there will buy a copy.

I am so confused. I never declined the small fee- I have never been given the amount of the small fee- please review our correspondence. I was offered fee advertising from the other forum because the woman believed in the cause. I am not a corporation- I am a person trying to make ends meet! Why would I not take this offer when I am up to my eyeballs with bills stacking from this book?
I have no idea why such an awful spin is being put on such a great thing? I never declined to advertise here- I was told in order to advertise I would need to pay a small fee to which I told you I would let you know when the book was printed and then move forward. You thanked me for my understanding. What have I possibly done wrong?

susi794

Staff member
I am so confused. I never declined the small fee- I have never been given the amount of the small fee- please review our correspondence. I was offered fee advertising from the other forum because the woman believed in the cause. I am not a corporation- I am a person trying to make ends meet! Why would I not take this offer when I am up to my eyeballs with bills stacking from this book?
I have no idea why such an awful spin is being put on such a great thing? I never declined to advertise here- I was told in order to advertise I would need to pay a small fee to which I told you I would let you know when the book was printed and then move forward. You thanked me for my understanding. What have I possibly done wrong?

What you have done wrong is that you have forgotten that there is a person or people behind every one of those cats with HCM you're trying to help. People matter, Chanel. I find it hard to believe that changing a name on a computer is that much of an expense before it's even gone to print. You even said you got a chance to approve it before it went to print. Let's hope your decision to not change the book has cost less money than you'd have made from me buying it as a gift for other people once I got the first two copies for me and my sister. If I liked it, I'd have bought several. Let's hope the money for HCM research lost is less than the $25.00 it would've cost to advertise here....many of us might have been more likely to purchase it also.
That's what you've done wrong, Chanel--you forgot about the people that helped you --it's about the money--bottom line.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
It is not the money, It is the point of our members not being taken advantage of and becoming upset over something that had been planted as a seed here on the Lair, grown and the members being the pedals of the blooming flower. If the book was that compassionate as Susi is, there could have been a resolution i"m sure.

susi794

Staff member
It is not the money, It is the point of our members not being taken advantage of and becoming upset over something that had been planted as a seed here on the Lair, grown and the members being the pedals of the blooming flower.

Gosh, Admin--I didn't mean YOU--I meant that all the decisions Chanel made and now wonders why people are upset about are all about MONEY. My point was that people sent the pictures, people stood behind her ideas, and now people don't matter anymore.
I am in 100% agreement with you.

cchloerun

Banned
What you have done wrong is that you have forgotten that there is a person or people behind every one of those cats with HCM you're trying to help. People matter, Chanel. I find it hard to believe that changing a name on a computer is that much of an expense before it's even gone to print. You even said you got a chance to approve it before it went to print. Let's hope your decision to not change the book has cost less money than you'd have made from me buying it as a gift for other people once I got the first two copies for me and my sister. If I liked it, I'd have bought several. Let's hope the money for HCM research lost is less than the $25.00 it would've cost to advertise here....many of us might have been more likely to purchase it also.
That's what you've done wrong, Chanel--you forgot about the people that helped you --it's about the money--bottom line.

You can not be serious? I am not doing this book for profit. I have not forgotten about the people behind this book at any step, but I understand that we are not as important as the project is as a whole.
Do you know how much an author makes when a book is sold at Barnes and Noble or any other business for that matter? Based on my book's retail I get around .60 per book sold and that is before I donate to charity. Do you see big dollar signs in that with what a spealized breed this is? Did you think I actually get $24 or anything close in my pocket? This is my first time ever doing a book, but trust me there is a lot entailed that you don't understand.
Painting me out to be some money hungry person is what is truly sad. I have not lied, not once! The proof I am waiting on was to see if the photos printed in the way they are supposed to as the first proof was a different size than the actual will be. This is just awful, all of it.

cchloerun

Banned
Susan, I already told you I could eat the financial aspect on my part, money is tight but I will do it. I will change the book! This will eat into the HCM donations from the book. This will delay the book! I will put even more $$ into it to reduce the delay to the current supporters. Costs are costs! You are very welcome, I can tell this means a lot to you.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I apologize for becoming so personal, which i normally do not, It's just that Susi is a long time and one of our most honest, compassionate and loyal members we have here on Sphynxlair. I will not comment on this thread anymore, my apologies, Susi I hope you feel better soon.

Gizzymom

Banned
OK... I am going out on a limb here... I am a new member and I had NO CLUE what this situation was until I started reading... But my point I was originally going to make to you, Susi, is the same even after I read SO much more than I wanted to. I can totally understand how hurt you are about your baby's name being incorrect, especially because of how that name came to be... but I had a friend who published a book... and every time ANY change is made after the original is run, it is VERY expensive. She had found a few typos, but when she found out that after the corrections were made, she would have to pay again to have the original run, she tought twice about it. Unless you are John Grisham or James Patterson... the endeavor to publish is an EXPENSIVE one. Now I do not know Chanel, but just from reading all the stories on SL of people who have lost their beloved animals to HCM, I would think that any money going to this cause would be good. I purchased the 2011 HCM calendar and I am excited to learn that there is going to be some book published that will help the cause as well.

Susi... I do NOT think it makes you a bad person to be upset... it makes you a loving mommy and a good daughter :) ... But there are so many bigger things in the world to worry about than a name being wrong. I have a friend who died a few months bach from her third bout with cancer... and I have a few friends that are still in the middle east fighting for my right to be free.... Those are things that get me... I have learned to not sweat the small stuff - you will just drive yourself crazy... I think you should buy the book.... because it is a good cause... and it is a permanent record of photos of your babies. I would be SOOOO proud if my little Gizzy was published somewhere.... even if he was identified as "ugly creature"... which a few people have called him. But they do not know the love that Giz and I share... and they will not take away from the bond I have created with him... It's just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

I wish the book was being advertised here because then more money would go to HCM research and maybe someday we can eradicate this horrible disease.

Chanel, I think that maybe you should reconsider or talk privately with Admin / ILoveMy Sphynx and see if there is something you can work out.

I am not afraid to say that if someone will tell me more about this book, I will definitely purchase... not only to help with HCM research, but also to see your gorgeous babies in print, Susi... :ThumbsUp:

Hope this helps shed some light on the situation from an outsider... and I apologize if I stuck my nose where it doesn't belong. I would just hate to see sphynxes suffer because humans have these "human-like" feelings... LOL

:Laugh:

Jody & Gizmo

susi794

Staff member
You can not be serious? I am not doing this book for profit. I have not forgotten about the people behind this book at any step, but I understand that we are not as important as the project is as a whole.
Do you know how much an author makes when a book is sold at Barnes and Noble or any other business for that matter? Based on my book's retail I get around .60 per book sold and that is before I donate to charity. Do you see big dollar signs in that with what a spealized breed this is? Did you think I actually get $24 or anything close in my pocket? This is my first time ever doing a book, but trust me there is a lot entailed that you don't understand.
Painting me out to be some money hungry person is what is truly sad. I have not lied, not once! The proof I am waiting on was to see if the photos printed in the way they are supposed to as the first proof was a different size than the actual will be. This is just awful, all of it.

I have deleted this...
Susi

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Susan, I already told you I could eat the financial aspect on my part, money is tight but I will do it. I will change the book! This will eat into the HCM donations from the book. This will delay the book! I will put even more $$ into it to reduce the delay to the current supporters. Costs are costs! You are very welcome, I can tell this means a lot to you.

Bravo! Choice made was respectable! I will feature your book here on Sphynxlair for one month free! (If you would like.) Hopefully sales from the book from Sphynxlair will cover the costs incurred by the change for Susi. Please let me know if you would be interested in putting the book here and we will talk about details and photos , etc., to use as advertisement.
Any way you decide, thank you for changing this for Susi!:ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
As I happen to know for a FACT how much it costs to make a change like this prior to publication, I would like to make a donation to the project in Othie's name.

Chanel, please let me know how / where to send donation. I know it will not be enough to cover the cost, but for HCM research.... any little bit will help. :Laugh:

Pbinky

Banned
i think Gizzy's mom is right.... a miss spelled name or a wrong name shouldn't change it for you Suzi. i think you're so luck to have your kitties published. it sucks yes, but ah well.
lots of big things in life to worry about. i'm 36 years old and live daily in chronic, at times unbareble, pain. i'm on meds every day that are dibilitating in and of them selves... i learned not to sweat the small stuff.
i'm so sad that this has turned out to be such an angry thread....:Cry:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As I happen to know for a FACT how much it costs to make a change like this prior to publication, I would like to make a donation to the project in Othie's name.

Chanel, please let me know how / where to send donation. I know it will not be enough to cover the cost, but for HCM research.... any little bit will help. :Laugh:

I would also like to help, for I know from experience (as short a time as it's been so far) the cost of having a cat with HCM financially and emotionally. Also I think we should all get along for we are adults with the same goals and loves in our hearts.

susi794

Staff member

I will also be willing to help with the cost of changing it....and I thank you so very much for doing so.

Gizzymom

Banned
Whew!!! :Sweat:

That could've gotten me into all kinds of hot water!! LOL... So glad it turned out well... So give us the info, Chanel, and we will do all we can to help.

I also hope to see an advertisement on the SL for this book... and by the way...

WHAT IS THIS BOOK??????

LOLOLOLOL:Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical:

susi794

Staff member
I apologize for becoming so personal, which i normally do not, It's just that Susi is a long time and one of our most honest, compassionate and loyal members we have here on Sphynxlair. I will not comment on this thread anymore, my apologies, Susi I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Admin. I think so highly of you as well.

Bella07

Banned

You are incredibly sweet Gizzymom.

Either way, I would love to purchase one your books Chanel; in honor of the breed, in support of HCM, and as way to make me smile!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh just saw this and a bit of a mess. I can understand your side Suzi as well as Chanels. I sure hope it can all get sorted out, and I too would be willing to help out. My babies are in the book and I have preordered. I think if we all work together things will turn out well for all of us.

Yes... Work together!! That is why we are here!! Susi you are wonderful and of course you want your kitties names correct, we all would and I understand, Chanel thank you for making a sphynx book, I wouldn't even know were to start and for such a great cause!

Let's just make this work for everyone, not one of us is rich, but if we all can help a bit everyone can be happy !!!

cchloerun

Banned
This definitely went bad really fast, but I really appreciate everyone's support since I never wanted any negative feelings associated with this project at all.
I think it's incredible that you want to help fund the change, but this was my mistake and I will take care of it the best I can. If you are wanting to help the HCM portion though that would be awesome!
You can click on the Feline Cardiology under Give Now (though there isn't a spot to tell them you want it to go right to the Sphynx HCM fund that I can see) or you can mail them to Dr Meurs and put where you would like your donation to be sent- this is what I am doing :)
Dr. Meurs PO Box 647010
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-7010

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsVCGL/giving.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back