Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Indoor Cats...

for_serious

Lairian
I live in Winnipeg, Canada and it is gets pretty cold here. I know sphynxes are indoor cats but I would like to take mine out in nice weather on a harness once in a while, but I'm afraid that he might bolt every time the door opens after that. I have an indoor cat that has never been outside (it's my mothers), therefore he is disinterested in venturing outdoors. I've heard that once a cat gets a taste for the outdoors they will try to sneak out.. and I'm worried because it can get as cold as -40 Celcius here. Should I take him out at all?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We talked on here about what temp we take our kitties out on a leash and the consensus seemed to be 70 degrees (or 21 Celsius- hope I converted that right). Unless they're dressed very warmly. I live in the North east so it gets pretty cold here too and I bundle her up if I'm taking her from the house to the car.

Anyway, to answer your question, I've taken Sophie out on just a few occasions- since I haven't had her too long before it got cold here. She does walk up to the door but never gets too close and runs away when it opens. I think the cold keeps her at bay. A whoosh of cold air gets her running full blast in the other direction. :LOL:. That's my experience anyway.

I think our member Susi had an escapee not too long ago and luckily captured him/her (forget who?) back. I think it was starting to get cold at that time.

I am careful to make sure Sophie doesn't get too close to the door but I haven't had a problem yet.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I live in Ohio just south of the snowbelt and it gets in the 10's and below here quite often. We haven't had any issues with Snuffie wanting out as of yet. She loves standing at the glass door and peering out tho - hoping the warm summer heat doesnt make her jolt out once it arrives. Currently when we open the door she tends to stand back and wrinkle her nose at the cold air, then she finds her fleece blankey and sits on it for a few before getting back up.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Brrrrr..It is 50's and sunny most of the winter here. Should start the 70's in a couple of months then can take them out in the pet stroller.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I always wander if I should take Mo out more too! He has been outside in my mums garden and on our patio in the summer when it was warm and he loved it. But he isnt that bothered when it's cold. Sometimes he runs out on the patio when the door is open and I leastt expect it! He zips round in a circle has a quick sniff around and then comes back in coz its too cold! I think it's nice for them to go out when its warm for the fresh air but I don't think Mo is overly bothered. When the sun shines in the summer he likes the warmth but dont forget the sun cream!!!

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feel the same way I took Maggie outside like everyday in the summer & I have 6 dogs & she sees them go in & out & she always trys to go out I'm so scared cause she can get threw our fence easy & go to the road!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet has had no desire to leave the house lately as the weather here lately have been snowy and the temperatures in the 20's (F). However, when the weather gets much warmer, I have to keep my eye on her to make sure she doesn't sneak out of the patio door....she loves being outside in the sunshine and I'm so afraid that she'll wander too far and get lost (or stolen).

Brooke

Banned
I live in Winnipeg, Canada and it is gets pretty cold here. I know sphynxes are indoor cats but I would like to take mine out in nice weather on a harness once in a while, but I'm afraid that he might bolt every time the door opens after that. I have an indoor cat that has never been outside (it's my mothers), therefore he is disinterested in venturing outdoors. I've heard that once a cat gets a taste for the outdoors they will try to sneak out.. and I'm worried because it can get as cold as -40 Celcius here. Should I take him out at all?

That's a totally valid concern!

Fortunately none of mine show any interest in going outside when I open the door. However, I always go through a routine whenever I do take them outside, because I want them to make the association that these certain events need to occur before they're allowed out. For example, I always take them to the same room and get them dressed and put the harness/collar on before we go outside and they never go outside without the harness on.

So, maybe they don't ever bolt for the door because they know they only go outside when the harness is on.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with Brooke. I always put Stella's harness on before she gets to go outside in the warm temperatures. I think she associates her harness with going outside so she hasn't had an episode where she wanted to bolt out the door (knock on wood). In fact, Stella will be waiting on the arm of the couch near the door when we come home. No doubt she can hear us walking up the stairs, so she'll run and wait on the couch. She doesn't try to bolt (even being that close), but it is also very cold!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
No that it is so cold when I open the door ours run the other way! In the summer they go out in the back yard but with a harness and leash.
I am going to get one of those window units that sillylilly has I think they will love it and I can put in in the window over the pond so they can watch the fish.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No that it is so cold when I open the door ours run the other way! In the summer they go out in the back yard but with a harness and leash.
I am going to get one of those window units that sillylilly has I think they will love it and I can put in in the window over the pond so they can watch the fish.

That would be so cool! I bet they will love that!

for_serious

Lairian
That's a totally valid concern!

Fortunately none of mine show any interest in going outside when I open the door. However, I always go through a routine whenever I do take them outside, because I want them to make the association that these certain events need to occur before they're allowed out. For example, I always take them to the same room and get them dressed and put the harness/collar on before we go outside and they never go outside without the harness on.

So, maybe they don't ever bolt for the door because they know they only go outside when the harness is on.

I think I'll do this, thanks!

susi794

Staff member
Yes, it was my Lulu that ran outside while I was putting my dog out--there was snow all over the ground and it didn't stop her for one second. I was crawling around the ground in snowy dog poop, crying my eyes out because she went under the deck and didn't seem interested in coming back...all I could hear was her crying. I think Brooke has a good idea about it being an every time thing about putting on the harness before going out. But, I know mine like to dart out, so I hate to get them too excited about the outdoors, for fear it is waking the "sleeping dragon" and will start something I can't control. I have one of those 6' X 8' dog kennel runs that I don't use since my back yard is fenced in. But the cats could easily escape the fence, so am thinking about installing a tarp roof to the run, putting in some lounging cat furniture and turning it into a little outdoor kitty resort. It's chain link, so I could easily carry it up onto the deck, but with the roof on it, I wouldn't worry about sunburn and with the kennel sitting on the deck, no digging out--but plenty of fresh air and no worry about escaping or something/someone getting in to hurt them either. I could make it cute and cozy back there--might be fun to do. I gave up trying to make the back yard look nice, because the dalmatian made such a mess back there all the time. But my beagle is much less messyand destructive, so it might work out nicely. Something positive to start thinking about.....

susi794

Staff member
I will--I think it's definitely going to be my summer project...and if it comes to fruition, I will take loads of pics.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I don't take my cat outside anymore because I find three things happen afterwards that I do not like.

1) He catches something and gets sick.
2) He gets dirty.
3) He wants to go back outside again and tries to escape anytime I open the door.

So he's strictly an indoor kitty from now on!

laluitj

Lairian
Hi Everyone,

Do you put sunscreen on them as well as the harness etc when you take then outside? Also, has anyone had an experience with their sphynxs getting sunburned while indoors?

Thanks,
Laura

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Hi Everyone,

Do you put sunscreen on them as well as the harness etc when you take then outside? Also, has anyone had an experience with their sphynxs getting sunburned while indoors?

Thanks,
Laura

I do not use sunscreen however I keep her out of direct sunlight for long periods of time if we are outside for a while. Also Snuffie has never gotten burned but if you pull her ears in opposite directions to smooth out her head wrinkles,,the inside of her wrinkles are a lighter color,,,she tanned I guess you could say! lol

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
An escapee can be quite an issue. If you see that there is interest when the door opens then you may try something that someone mentioned earlier. Have an assistant stand outside with a water bottle and when you open the door and the cat tries to go out spray the tarnation out of them. Keep doing this until there is absolutely no interest at all. In Texas, it is very nice weather most of the year and I wish I would have done that with my last cat. He was run over right by my house.:Cry::Cry::Cry:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I live in northern Ohio and love to take Pedda outside in nice weather. But I'm very alert to the possibility of her sneaking out so this is what I did to negate that possibility.

First I trained her to not stick her head out the door let alone think about going outside. When she was a kitten I propped the door open and stood outside with a garden hose and whenever I saw her peeking out it was time for me to play "whack a mole" with the water stream. She's smart, I got only a few times of laughing at her before she learned to stay away from the door.

Second, I put on her harness and then carry her out in my arms or put her in a carrier. I never let her associate going outside with something she does of her own accord.

She's 7 now and never tries to sneak out so I guess it works.

Back