Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Ineza-belly had kittens but going wrong?

:Hysterical:inez had 7 kittens on sunday and 6 suvived so far was so tired but kitten 3 she almost gave up and they where just comeing out in there sack and just lying there so i had to tare the sack to dry them and she didnt eat any placentas just cleaned herself ? she is so friendly this has suprised me as i thought she would be an excellent mummy? where iam now?
she didnt clean them or nurse them but does lay there and cuddles them so i had to buy a little kitten bottle and milk and put the bottle for them to suck on inez belly and then drop a bit of formala milk on her boobie and then they suck but thats only when i put them on her they dont go to her and when she leaves to the loo and returns they dont make any noises on her return ? also she dosnt lick and clean then unless i wipe there behind and dab the tisue around the kittens ? will they start to feed cus its been 2 days and still no matural instinct and i dont think they will survive if she dont pull her socks up and up all night worring and am awake allday putting them to her??:Dizzy:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All I can offer is my support. I have zero new kitten experience but I imagine that the kittens will probably sleep most of the time right after birth. Hopefully Inez's energy will return and the kittens will get stronger within a day or two.

I hope you get that peace of mind you're looking for.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know nothing about birthing animals, but did you see ckutkuhn7's comment posted in the chat box area: "I would keep putting them on her if she will allow you and will nurse them. Sometimes you just gotta push a little and eventually they will get it. Also try squeezing a little milk out on your finger and rub it in the mouth and then try to latch them again".

I hope that advice helps. If this is Ineza-belly's first litter she may just need you to show her what to do. Hopefully both her and the kittens will get the hang of it.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Personally- and this will sound harsh and it's wrong to sound harsh, but it's also the truth.

It isn't the Queens' responsibility to take care of those kittens- it is YOURS. If things aren't going smoothly, this is time for you to pull your straps up and make it work- not the Momma's. She's a cat- you're a person.

Now, questions...

What were the kittens' birth weight? What are their current weights? Are they gaining, losing, staying the same?

Gaining is great- and where you want to go. Staying the same is worrisome, but not as much as losing.

Staying the same as well as losing to me, requires intervention at this point. You need to have either KMR or kitten glop supplies on hand. If the kittens are becoming weak or lethargic, you might as well skip the whole bottle feeding nonsense and go straight to tube feeding.

If you do not know how to tube feed, you need to get straight into your vet and have them show you. A weak kitten cannot find the energy to nurse and will only continue to fade until you have a dead kitten. Tube feeding, in my book, is knowledge anyone expecting puppies/kittens, purebred or not, should have.

And you'll take over caring for the babies- until they either get stronger or Momma starts getting the hang of things. Is this Inez's first litter? I'm going to assume so- but even if not, giving birth multiple times is tiring. Most humans give birth once and are knocked out for the rest of the day- dead tired. Imagine having 6-7 babies! So that may be why she stopped cleaning them. She might have decided the alive babies were more important. She might not have cared. None of this is her fault- she's a cat.

IF they are not lethargic or weak, you can continue bottle feeding them, but you really need to pick them up, put all four legs on your knee or whatever (belly parallel to the ground) and give them the bottle that way. They won't get nipple confusion- if they decide to latch on to Mom inbetween feedings- that is great and that's the direction you want to be headed in as well.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with Trish.
I have had to bottle feed kittens before and not all of them made it.
If you do not know how to take care of the kittens you need to have some one teach you.
My Meeko refused to nurse her son at first.
I had to keep putting him on her and she started nursing him but I had another cat that would nurse him also.
You cat may not feel well.
Did you see the after birth for all the kittens?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some cats aren't cut out to be mothers and won't take care of their babies. If that is the case its going to be your job, that means 2hourly feeding and making sure they go to the bathroom, they cant do that by themselves yet.

It looks like you are going to have to treat them as orphans and hope that mama starts to take over some of the responsibilities. Your vet will show you how to tube feed and get them to go to the bathroom, if you dont feel confident enough.

Some pages that may be of help;
Kitten care handbook :: Kitten Rescue

Orphans4

Orphan Kittens

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am also going to guess that this is her first litter?
How old is she?

Have you checked all the kittens mouths to make sure that there is no clef pallet? This can cause them to not be able to suck.
How do their bellies look? could they be eating when you are not looking? You can tell if they have little round bellies.
If you think they are not eating you need to feed them. A kitten usually will not make it 72 hours if not eating well.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Also check she hasn't got an infection/ funny discharge. If she's not feeling very good then that can be a reason too.

Most is already said....nurse them every 2 ours....and keep on trying to have them nurse with their mom....she will get the hang of it....you just have to give her some time to get used to the idea of being a mom....
Good luck :ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Sometimes if you lie down beside her and praise her and tell her how pretty her babies are and how she is such a good girl and keep putting the babies on a nipple, sometimes they will eventually latch on. Do you know anyone else that has a lactating queen that could surrogate feed them? If not, then you need to tube or bottle feed. It's a horribly tough job...Good luck!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yes I have spent many of nights sleeping on the floor half in the closet, it does seem to work:Wink: I think they just want you there with them.

update sadly 4 passed away and iam feeding the other 1 1/2 every 2 hours one is getting the hint that boobie is nice food but the other wont eat unless i feed him?

the vet did a ultursaound and then an xrayer of her today as he said there was a lump but it turned out to be poo hummm £126 for that ?but better to be safer than sorry ,shes worth every penny... they said yes they are small considering they are 3 days old but carry on with what iam doing and hope they pull through as to me they look dehyrated but vet said they look ok considering the situation.

reson for all this apparently milk wasnt let down or something so they gave her a ostgen injection to help her milk she had loads of mammery glands but hardly any milk ??
i am just ploding along and hope 2morrow is another day for them xxxx
she does clean them and cuddle them churp to purr but just nurseing problem??

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry to hear that you lost more kittens. :Cry:

Keep your chin up. Hopefully Ineza-belly's milk will come in and the other 2 will start doing better.

In the meantime try to nap when you can. Around the clock frequent feedings must be hard.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Most vets will find Sphynx kittens 'extra small'- they aren't usually extra small, just hairless and tend to look smaller then an average kitten. Your best friend is REALLy a scale- you need a kitchen scale to keep an eye on those kittens and their growth. You should weigh them twice a day at this rate.

AND the dehydrated kitten could have been given fluids at the vet- even a touch of sub-q would have been helpful.

I hope your babies make it... Was this an accidental litter or planned?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry you lost four kittens :Cry:

I hope the other two are strong enough to make it.

X

unplanned she was on heat and so i closed and kept closed all the doors and all the windows except the bathroom (for ovious resonsa men hahaha:LOL: ):Wink:.
she hasnt been spayed because i personaly feel god made her with all her charm and bits and bobs so why alter what god made .xx i dont have the right to take something like the womb away without a serious reason i understand that this may cause a massive arggument please dont send me hate mail i love my little girl and i will do whats best for her we have our own oppinions xxxx

and she must of seen it open and felt the breezz and jumped out the window onto the porch then the bin cupboard , i heard a cat fight and went to see who's cat's arnt getting along so to my supprise Inez-abelly was looking there rolling around like a naughty girl and with her big eyes looked at me if to say oppps .......

the male in quiestion was a sieamess ....... masive blue eyes and he kept waiting at my door when i took her back in doors :Dizzy:

arrrr thanks , just because it just so frustrating iam so tired from the feeding and i thought people would be judgemental but thank you for ur support xx:Laugh:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
so to my supprise Inez-abelly was looking there rolling around like a naughty girl and with her big eyes looked at me if to say oppps .......

Ooops is right, but as the song goes "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".

I don't think you will get hate emails from this site. It sounds like you have had a rough enough time as it is.

Keep up the hard work on the remaining 2 babies. You are doing great evethough you are probably too exhausted to know it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No hate mail here, and no judgements, however:Laugh: you said "i dont have the right to take something like the womb away without a serious reason" So I would like to point out some serious reasons, in the end the choice is yours, and I would not hate you or judge you for it.

Serious reasons:

1. Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life.
Spaying helps prevent uterine infections and breast cancer, which is fatal in about 50 percent of dogs and 90 percent of cats. Spaying your pet before her first heat offers the best protection from these diseases.

2. # Preventing unnecessary euthanasia in shelters: Over 3 million dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters each year due to overpopulation. Many of these animals are healthy and safe but there are not enough owners to care for them. Spaying and neutering cats are effective birth control methods that help to prevent overcrowded shelters.

3.Your spayed female won't go into heat.
While cycles can vary, female felines usually go into heat four to five days every three weeks during breeding season. In an effort to advertise for mates, they'll yowl and urinate more frequently—sometimes all over the house!

4. No unwanted litters!
Female cats can breed three times a year and have an average of four kittens per litter.

5. For every human born today in the United States, 45 cats and 15 dogs will be born. Six to eight million will end up in shelters. (30 % pure bred - 55% unaltered). About half will be euthanized because there simply aren't enough homes. In addition, countless homeless animals, who never make it into shelters, will scratch out a meager existence on the streets - often becoming threats to public health and safety. This makes pet overpopulation the major cause of death and suffering for companion animals.

6. visit your local shelter, to see some serious reasons in person.