Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Inflammatory bowel disease

Kevin Denly

Lairian
Hi everyone…my name is Kevin and my wife Yvette and I have a little girl called Esme who is 10 years old.We are in the UK.
We recently noticed that she had lost weight and our vet weighed her to discover that she had lost nearly a kilo since her last check up in June.
Last week she was 2.9kg and was still losing weight. She was still eating as normal. She had a scan and all the blood and stool tests and the vet is leaning towards it being inflammatory bowel disease rather than stomach lymphoma..she has been given a B12 injection and started on steroids. She is on a high dose for a week which will then be adjusted to suit.
She is now refusing to eat her Royal canin kibbles and is enjoying Purina convalescence wet food on our vets advice.
She is also receiving a probiotic paste.
She has started to regurgitate a lot of the food back up and has quite loose stools still and we wondered if anyone out there had also experienced this condition?…
She is also quite lethargic and a little unsteady on her feet.
We would be very interested to hear how others have dealt with this and any advice would be gratefully received
Many thanks in advance…

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry to hear of Esme's health problems. Unfortunately I cannot give you any advice based on direct experience of her problems but I am sure you will receive advice and support from others on this wonderful site . My sphynx boy Wilson is not well , although it is due to his heart, but he also started to refuse his Royal Canid kibble and we have also started to try purina, which ,like Esme, he is eating. Hoping that Esme improves and your vet can get to the bottom of her problems xx

Kevin Denly

Lairian
I am sorry to hear of Esme's health problems. Unfortunately I cannot give you any advice based on direct experience of her problems but I am sure you will receive advice and support from others on this wonderful site . My sphynx boy Wilson is not well , although it is due to his heart, but he also started to refuse his Royal Canid kibble and we have also started to try purina, which ,like Esme, he is eating. Hoping that Esme improves and your vet can get to the bottom of her problems xx
Thankyou so much and hope Wilson feels better soon…

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kevin Denly , awh.. hugs n positive vibes for beautiful Esme. my 10 yr old bengal has IBD for years. gets flare ups now and then. most recently a vet trip and meds. She lost weight and down to 6 lbs.
she got wobbly from side effects of meds., as well as stool changes. I would update vet and ask if should adjust dosage of med?

I had to discontinue the appetite stimulant as well as change meds. she just got so lethargic and wobbly . I ended up syringe feeding her for a week Hills A/D urgent care, sounds similar to the purina you are feeding. I had to slowly syringe feed small amounts , several times a day. she started feeling better.

I mixed a teaspoon of the hills a/d urgent care with a little water, small portion in a dish, a couple of times a day or she vomits.
she refuses to "eat" it any other way . she is eating her regular kibble again along with continued slurry of the hills a/d holding it down about 95%. she has improved dramatically and actually started playing this week like a wild child, gaining weight back. I also had blood work to check her kidneys. etc.

how were kidney values on blood work?

took several weeks for meds to kick in and find the right combination for what was best for her. please keep us updated. we are here for you. hugs n head smooches.

Kevin Denly

Lairian
@Kevin Denly , awh.. hugs n positive vibes for beautiful Esme. my 10 yr old bengal has IBD for years. gets flare ups now and then. most recently a vet trip and meds. She lost weight and down to 6 lbs.
she got wobbly from side effects of meds., as well as stool changes. I would update vet and ask if should adjust dosage of med?

I had to discontinue the appetite stimulant as well as change meds. she just got so lethargic and wobbly . I ended up syringe feeding her for a week Hills A/D urgent care, sounds similar to the purina you are feeding. I had to slowly syringe feed small amounts , several times a day. she started feeling better.

I mixed a teaspoon of the hills a/d urgent care with a little water, small portion in a dish, a couple of times a day or she vomits.
she refuses to "eat" it any other way . she is eating her regular kibble again along with continued slurry of the hills a/d holding it down about 95%. she has improved dramatically and actually started playing this week like a wild child, gaining weight back. I also had blood work to check her kidneys. etc.

how were kidney values on blood work?

took several weeks for meds to kick in and find the right combination for what was best for her. please keep us updated. we are here for you. hugs n head smooches.
So kind thanks…it means a lot…she’s sooo thin and weak but we won’t give up…good luck to you too

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kevin Denly ,welcome, we are all family here . glad you joined us, lots of care support here.
I know personally how stressful it is when they dont feel good, wont eat etc.
deep breath, you got this. we truly understand. a lair full of love and positive vibes for your beautiful Esme.
we are here for you.
please keep us updated often. all paws are family.

will share, with my moms cat, I bought the bottle of B12, from the vet and gave injections to my mom's Sandy cat as an appetite stimulant. My moms cat was too stressed and week for vet trips to get b12 injections.

stay strong Team Esme. we are here for you

the help center a good resource as well as top right search box for specifics.

Kevin Denly

Lairian
@Kevin Denly ,welcome, we are all family here . glad you joined us, lots of care support here.
I know personally how stressful it is when they dont feel good, wont eat etc.
deep breath, you got this. we truly understand. a lair full of love and positive vibes for your beautiful Esme.
we are here for you.
please keep us updated often. all paws are family.

will share, with my moms cat, I bought the bottle of B12, from the vet and gave injections to my mom's Sandy cat as an appetite stimulant. My moms cat was too stressed and week for vet trips to get b12 injections.

stay strong Team Esme. we are here for you

the help center a good resource as well as top right search box for specifics.

Very kind and thanks for your support it means a lot…

Kevin Denly

Lairian
Hi everyone…my name is Kevin and my wife Yvette and I have a little girl called Esme who is 10 years old.We are in the UK.
We recently noticed that she had lost weight and our vet weighed her to discover that she had lost nearly a kilo since her last check up in June.
Last week she was 2.9kg and was still losing weight. She was still eating as normal. She had a scan and all the blood and stool tests and the vet is leaning towards it being inflammatory bowel disease rather than stomach lymphoma..she has been given a B12 injection and started on steroids. She is on a high dose for a week which will then be adjusted to suit.
She is now refusing to eat her Royal canin kibbles and is enjoying Purina convalescence wet food on our vets advice.
She has started to regurgitate a lot of the food back up and has quite loose stools still and we wondered if anyone out there had also experienced this condition?…
We would be very interested to hear how others have dealt with this and any advice would be gratefully received
Many thanks in advance…
Happy New year all….just a quick update it turns out that,after seemingly not responding to her meds for IBD,Esme also has heart failure with fluid on her lungs.She now has started treatment for this along with her IBD meds. Unfortunately she isn’t responding very well and remains very poorly which is so hard for us. She is having regular weekly check ups at the vets and is having another chest scan on Friday. We are preparing ourselves to lose her as it’s all adding up to being lymphoma of the stomach.One plus point is that she is still tucking into her food.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Happy New year all….just a quick update it turns out that,after seemingly not responding to her meds for IBD,Esme also has heart failure with fluid on her lungs.She now has started treatment for this along with her IBD meds. Unfortunately she isn’t responding very well and remains very poorly which is so hard for us. She is having regular weekly check ups at the vets and is having another chest scan on Friday. We are preparing ourselves to lose her as it’s all adding up to being lymphoma of the stomach.One plus point is that she is still tucking into her food.
I'm sorry for this update. I hope the vet pulls some miracle out of the hat which helps your Esme.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Sigh…so sorry to hear this update. I know your heart is hurting, but know she knows nothing but your love and that is everything.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kevin Denly , (((hugs)))) and a lair family of prayers and positive vibe head kisses for baby Esme . here for you. sharing, my omar was soo sick IBD etc down to 5 lbs years ago.. scan suspected cancerous mass. well, turned out it was an anatomy anomaly , he got pred as a last ditch effort on my part, and made a full recovery. most recently my pup presented as a stomach mass and further follow up it wasnt. soo many prayers for good news on the scan. it is a good sign she is eating. lean on us. we are here for you

Kevin Denly

Lairian
Many thanks in advance…
Just an update…We had to let Esme go on the morning of the 13th January….she went to sleep peacefully with a little help from out vet…thankyou for all your advice and kind words..
Kevin and Yvette xx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kevin Denly , ((((squeeze hugs )) to you and Yvette, I am soo very sorry your baby Esme got her angel wings. my hurt hurts for you. She only knew your love beyond measure, and that is everything. Holding you in my thoughts and prayers during your time of great loss. My Yoda girl and Yoda man will surely meet Esme to run free together. Lighting a candle for baby Esme. we are here for you.

"Replied the glorious cat For I will whisper into their hearts That I am always with them I just am....forever and ever and ever."-poem for cats.

Attachments

• rainbow candle bridge lit.jpg
    rainbow candle bridge lit.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 6
Back