Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Information for vets pre castration

Lindaw56

Lairian
Dobby is going into the vets on Tuesday to be castrated. The vets are not familiar with the Sphynx breed so just wondering what I need to alert them to besides NO ketamine and the fact the their temperature will be 4 degrees higher than other cats. Is their heart rate the same as other breeds? I am taking in his jumper, blanket and little snuggle bed for after the op and making sure they know to keep him warm

Attachments

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I’ve never heard that their temperature is any different from a typical cat. Ellie’s temp is usually about 101 at the vet. They do feel cold faster, so they need a blanket in the cage at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lindaw56
Tagging @Catzzzmeow who is awesome for sphynx facts
Here is an older thread she replied to

Still smiling with your avatar pic amd your mention of neutering next week

I think you are all set !
No Ketamine
Ask if they use Isoflurane amd propofol
Ask if they put a blanket in his recovery cage and send home pain meds
Mine never needed pain meds or cones of shame

Male neutering goes faster than female spay
My boys bounced back quick!

Positve vibes for neuter surgery !

Lindaw56

Lairian
I’ve never heard that their temperature is any different from a typical cat. Ellie’s temp is usually about 101 at the vet. They do feel cold faster, so they need a blanket in the cage at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All the information I read on the breed stated their temperature was 4 degrees higher than other cat breeds?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Lindaw56 as @Sheldon13 I also never heard the temperature of a sphynx is 4 degrees higher. They feel much warmer then a regular cat but if I'm correct their temperature is the same. Tagging @Catzzzmeow and @Xandria to check!
Dobby will be up on his paws in no time after neutering!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
All the information I read on the breed stated their temperature was 4 degrees higher than other cat breeds?
No I believe you are right that they run a bit hotter than a normal cat. I believe my vet told me when we took Orpheus in as she was checking to see if he had a fever when he was a little sick.

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lindaw56 hello
Wanted to send positive vibes for Dobby’s neuter today
(Can’t help but giggle when I look at his avatsr pic pose )

Remember to confirm NO Ketamine

Following for updates