Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Insurance help. Adopting 11 y/o female Sunday.

boricua

Lairian
I could use advice on Pet Insurance. Really don’t care what it costs. Which is the best? I’m so excited to be a Sphynx mommy again. The last time I had a Sphynx was 10 years ago. Pet insurance was really just getting going. I’ve specifically been looking for an adult Sphynx with semi bonkers personality and finally found her! I fly out to California on Sunday to get her.

Any additional advice is welcomed and appreciated! (Especially tips for keeping her comfortable while flying with her in a carrier on my lap. 1.5 hr flight)

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great that you are getting that insurance my advice is to get the product disclosure document for each of the policies and the price and do a comparison. In particular you want to be able to claim at least up to $20,000 a year if possible especially if it’s life threatening. Unfortunately I found this out that this didn’t even cover everything in a three month period.

Buy it ASAP.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congratulations! I have an almost 11 year old girl too. I'm happy to say she's been very healthy.

Anyway about flying, I'm not sure that they will let you put the carrier on your lap. I haven't flown with a cat yet but I've been researching it and everything I've seen says the carrier needs to be under the seat. But you could at least try.

Some of the tips I picked up:
1. Make sure the carrier meets the weight and size requirements of the airline.
2. Take a small towel in your carry-on bag in case of any accident. You could also put a towel in the carrier to make it comfy.
3. Don't put your cat in the conveyor belt at the security checkpoint. Take her out of the carrier and put the empty carrier on the conveyor belt. Carry your cat through the metal detector with you. The security guys will probably use the wand on you and your cat.
4. Book your cat on the flight as early as possible because airlines limit the number of pets. Some only allow 1 in the cabin.
5. The carrier counts as a carry-on so you only get one more piece of carry-on. A backpack is good since it doesn't tie up your hands.

Good luck!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome and congratulations! I never did fly with a pet so not much advice to offer. I would bring baby wipes and a towel in case of an poop or pee accident.

boricua

Lairian
Great that you are getting that insurance my advice is to get the product disclosure document for each of the policies and the price and do a comparison. In particular you want to be able to claim at least up to $20,000 a year if possible especially if it’s life threatening. Unfortunately I found this out that this didn’t even cover everything in a three month period.

Buy it ASAP.
Thanks! Who did you have? What insurance do you suggest?

Sheldon13

Staff member
I highly recommend Healthy Paws. They are moderate on their prices for older cats but they have no spending cap, which is hard to find. Most have a cap of 10k or 15k if you are lucky. The lack of spending cap made my decision way back in 2014 when I adopted my first girl. They were there for us when we needed them last year. I’m pretty sure it ended up paying for itself with over 6k in reimbursement.

I have chosen Healthy Paws again to insure my new kitten as well. That should tell you something.

The other one I hear a lot of great things about but I have no personal experience with is Trupanion.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back