Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Integrating a new kitten

Molly Pearl

Lairian
Hello all,

My husband and I just introduced our newest sphynx, ten week old Karl, to our two year old sphynx Sturgeon. So far they seem to be doing a lot of feeling each other out and little bits of hissing in between butt- smelling. :) Any suggestions on what can be done (we've already set up separate food bowls, litter box, etc) to help them get along during this transition?

Also, I'd love suggestions on when we should take Karl to get snipped. Sturgeon came already neutered but Karl is not. Do you think this hormone/smell difference might make it more difficult for Sturgeon during the transition?

Thanks!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your new sphynx is still so young that I don't think him not being neutered will affect the introduction. We got our boys fixed at 6 months.

I recommend playing with them together and if things get too heated, separate them so the new kitten does not get stressed out. He should feel safe.

Check out this link if you haven't already: http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...ynx-cat-or-sphynx-kitten-into-the-home.11304/

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

My husband and I just introduced our newest sphynx, ten week old Karl, to our two year old sphynx Sturgeon. So far they seem to be doing a lot of feeling each other out and little bits of hissing in between butt- smelling. :) Any suggestions on what can be done (we've already set up separate food bowls, litter box, etc) to help them get along during this transition?

Also, I'd love suggestions on when we should take Karl to get snipped. Sturgeon came already neutered but Karl is not. Do you think this hormone/smell difference might make it more difficult for Sturgeon during the transition?

Thanks!
@Molly Pearl - It can take a week or tow for things to settle in, sometimes a bit longer, patience is a virtue. @zoinks gave you a good link on tips for introductions and most vets recommend 6 months as she has stated for neuter/ spay. And welcome to the Lair of course!

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi and welcome! I haven't introduced a kitten to an older cat, but I did introduce an older cat to my kitten. They are still having some small differences that they are working over for themselves, but it took a few weeks for them to stop fighting like two naked cats that didn't want to be friends. Now they sleep together at night in their bed just fine, but when they get in ours it's a fight for who gets to be closest to mom. So it takes time and patience.

We are on week 8 of Yuri being with us and it does get better.

Also I had Nigel neutered super early at 4 months and Yuri was neutered at a year. I recommend getting it done around 4 to 6 months due to their hormones coming out. But I would also discuss with my vet, were I you, and decide the best course of action for Karl.

Yuri is very musky and manly smelling still even though he was neutered months ago.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair family! We have a 7 mo old kitten that we have brought into the house... My two girls love him however my boy Hairry still isn't too fond of him. Just remember Babu Steps and all will be good in time.

Molly Pearl

Lairian
@zoinks thanks for the link-- very useful. Also, we've been following Alf and Dips on Instagram for a while-- love your cats! ^_^

Sturgeon and Karl are doing a lot of play fighting, which both of them seem to enjoy. It just makes me nervous u[]=======-= (... Karl says hello!) that Sturgeon is so much bigger...obviously he wins all of these "fights." Sometimes he can get a bit aggressive and go for the belly/neck area. Any suggestions on how to tell when they're getting too riled up or am I being too overprotective?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Molly Pearl usually it is best for them to figure out who is "top cat." It is very natural and once they establish their pecking order, you will be more relaxed...things just fall I no place after that. The hard part is letting them figure it out with the hissing, spitting and mini fights.

Patti