Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Interested in showing our cats- never done it!

nefariousmango

Lairian
We have two hairless cats, a Donskoy (Etta) and a Peterbald (Mr Mewton), and I would really like to show them! I used to show horses, it's obviously VERY different in that we competed in timed events but I know what "show clean" looks like.

Any ideas on where/how to start? Mr Mews showed as a kitten and did very, very well (he has a best in show ribbon from Moscow in 2007) but Etta is just 6 months old and still isn't registered (I have the paperwork, I just need to do it). Mr Mewton is a velor coat but has become more hairless with age, Etta has hair on her paws and tail but that's okay for a Donskoy and she's also losing hair. We live in Colorado.

Thanks for your help!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I can give you advice on showing.
You can show her in TICA once with no reg.
I have done it.
I do not much about showing Peterbalds or Donskoys though and have never seen one at a show.
Get your breeder to give you info on that.
I can help with the rest.
Make sure the nails and ears are very clean before a show.
I give baths the day of the show or the night before.
You need a show shelter or you can use their cages.
I prefer to bring my own.
You need a litter pan,dishes,cage curtains,food ect.
They provide the litter.

firehillqueen

Banned
I went to my very first cat show TICA in Ft. Worth Texas in June. I had a lovely time, met some wonderful, friendly, helpful people and hopefully new friends. I had found my cat cage curtains off ebay and they were just perfect for beginning. I will eventually make some of my own now that I have them for a sample. I made my own *please don't touch us* sign using my artist skills. Next time I plan to display a painting of my cats. I did find that my cats were inclined to rub their faces on the rough wire of the cage causing little bloody welts. The Sphynx owner next to me shared her secret of keeping white wound powder to dab on the spots for the judging. Another suggested keeping face powder/eye shadow handy that matches their coloring to help hide marks they get rubbing their faces or body's on the wire. Both suggested if I was going to show to invest in my own cage for the table. There is nothing you can do about the rough wire on the cages in the show ring, but owning a cage with smooth sides cuts down on any damages to their tender skin while they are waiting. Of course most of their time is spent on your own space.
Just be sure to listen closely for the class numbers to be called. Without the aid of the Sphynx owners beside me I might have missed a couple classes. It was hard to hear if you weren't close. Keep your program close and write down the place your cat gets. It is easy to feel rushed the first time.

Good luck and hope to meet you at a show someday.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is a Donskoy a Don Sphynx?

About showing in the US you better listen to other ppl than me though. I know all the rules and stuff for here but the administrative stuff for over there are better known by others. And I saw you already got some answeres so good luck. :)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would have to look it up but I don't think CFA (the Cat Fanciers Association) recognizes the Peterbald as a breed yet but you may be able to show them under the household pet division at a CFA show.

In addition to what M2M listed I would also bring your own water, a blankie/bed from home, a favorite toy or teaser, and an extra special food treat for a reward.

Most importantly have fun! Good luck.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Peterbalds can not be shown in CFA yet.
You can show them in HHP.

nefariousmango

Lairian
Thanks for all your suggestions! It looks like we can show both cats in TICA shows, so I guess we'll keep heading in that direction. The next cat show near us is in March, so plenty of time!

Cheers!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You'll have a lot of fun, regardless- I only show TICA since CFA does not recognize one of my breeds ;)

I'd say use the cage they typically provide for your first show- see how things go- and then maybe you can work on purchasing a show cage. Other then that, it's pretty straight forward- look at the TICA show calendar, decide which show you want to go to- put in your entry/summary sheet before the show. Bring hand sanitizer because everyone will want to pet your cuties since they are different from most of the show hall... Don't let ANY attitudes get in your way- most people are pretty friendly :) Put on your entry form that this is your first time showing- so they know they might need to help you out.

You'll need cage curtains if you haven't shown before- you can either make them yourself or buy a set, but they tend to run pricey for some reason. A lot of people will just bring fabric and binder clips and make a set of 'starter' show curtains their first show.

Ummm... Specific questions are so much easier for me then general ones :D

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know I've already given my 2 cents but I wanted to add that a 'double" cage is worth the extra cost as having more space for the litter box and bed is a plus.

As Sleepyhead kitten mentioned, do let the entry clerk and/or show manager know that it's your first show. When I entered my first show the show manager's wife emailed me and offered to lend me a set of her old cage curtains so I wouldn't have to buy fabric until I knew if I was going to show again.

TotenEngel

Banned
Is a Donskoy a Don Sphynx?

About showing in the US you better listen to other ppl than me though. I know all the rules and stuff for here but the administrative stuff for over there are better known by others. And I saw you already got some answeres so good luck. :)
A Donskoy is indeed a Don Sphynx, it's what my little man is :) We always joke saying don't mess with him, he's a russian Don heh