Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Intro

Naked Alien

Lairian
Hi guys,
My name is Anika and my Purbaby is Nala.
I've had 3 sphynx cats in the last ten years, Nala is my only one at the moment. Jimmy and Zeus have their angel wings and are dearly missed. I'm an animal person I have a 13 year old Doberman and a 4 year old Husky, I use to have a min pin named Harley that passed away three years ago and a black cat named Rookie that passed away 4 years ago.

I've always loved animals and grew up with too many to name.
My husband surprised me with zeus one day and ever since then I fell in love with hairless cats (I've always wanted one but never knew how much they would mean to me and really become my babies) Sphynx are so different from other cats, although furbabies can be affectionate and sweet all my sphynx have bonded with me like a dog would and actually listen when I call them...okay you all know this back to introduction.

Nala means the world to me, when Zeus passed away at only 8 months I was numb. My husband told me one day we were going to look at new trucks and as we were driving I saw a lady driving, crying with a cage in the passenger. I started crying and telling my husband how much I missed Zeus. That's when he told me we weren't going to look at trucks but to meet our new naked alien baby. She was the last baby of the litter and we wouldn't be able to take her home but we could meet her and see if it was a fit. (same breeder as Zeus) When I saw her she was a little nugget with the most beautiful eyes, almost looked like she had eyeliner on, reminded me of Nala's eyes in the lion king and I knew that was going to be her name.

A few weeks later we get to take her home. I don't think she ever left my side unless I went to work, she slept on me in bed, stayed with me on the couch and you guys know even in the bathroom they are there. She truly thought I was her mother (and I am!!) so much so that one morning I wake up to the weirdest sensation, I look down and Nala is latched on and trying to nurse. I woke up my husband and was like "OMG LOOK" he was like "ahhhh make her stop" He was horrified, while I thought it was the cutest thing ever, but I did make her stop LOL. So needless to say Nala is my baby, we are very very close.

Anyways of you read this far thank you so much for accepting us into this lovely community cant wait to share stories, tips, love and support.
Ill post some pictures in the comments, I want to find some of Zeus and all my pets for you to see. XOXO

Naked Alien

Lairian
My Niece Kiera with Nala (seal mink) Jimmy (RIP white pink)

alandsim

Lairian
That is such a lovely and touching surprise your husband arranged for you. I would love to see pics of all your pets so I hope you do post them! I just posted about my anxiety about upcoming introductions between my dog and a new don sphynx so it's good to see somebody with both dogs and cats and know that it's worked out! My husky has a doberman friend that he LOVES to play and wrestle with.

I am so sorry for your loss of Zeus.

These are mine and my partner's first pets as adults and I'm hoping I don't have to face it for a long time, but I know it's going to break our hearts when that day comes. Pets really are our babies.

Naked Alien

Lairian
That is such a lovely and touching surprise your husband arranged for you. I would love to see pics of all your pets so I hope you do post them! I just posted about my anxiety about upcoming introductions between my dog and a new don sphynx so it's good to see somebody with both dogs and cats and know that it's worked out! My husky has a doberman friend that he LOVES to play and wrestle with.

I am so sorry for your loss of Zeus.

These are mine and my partner's first pets as adults and I'm hoping I don't have to face it for a long time, but I know it's going to break our hearts when that day comes. Pets really are our babies.

My husky was a rescue too and was very aggressive as he was an outdoors only dog, His name is Kash. Jade my Doberman was babied from birth so she was not aggressive at all, she had no problem with cats and was submissive. When we got Kash she looked at the cats like she wanted to eat them. I googled cats and huskys and was HORRRIFIED! so much so that my husband spend $2000 making a dog run outside so Kash could stay out there while we were at work. Well Kash would sometimes try to chase the cats, Jade quickly intervened as to say "NO, they are part of the pack" in no time at all Kash became so loving, like a little teddy bear, she absolutely loves the cat and Nala often rubs up on her or sleeps on her bed.

Is the cat your getting a kitten or older. Jimmy who we got older took longer to adjust, I just left his carrier open and made him a spot, gave him cat nip and treats and eventually he came around. Never force interactions and treats are always a good idea.

Its the perils of being a pet owner, especially with purebreds but its so worth it for the joy and love they bring to your life. spending time with them is my stress relief. I don't think you will have too much of a problem introducing, sometimes it takes more time than we expect but its worth it. xoxo wait to hear more about your babies!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Naked Alien awhhh precious pics! Thank you for Sharon am imcreoble gotcha tale
Look forward to your dobie and husky pics too! Names?

Have s purrfect day! Head smooches to all paws

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Beautiful introduction story! I loved reading about your human and fur babies, and what an amazing surprise from your husband with Nala. She's stunning, as was Jimmy. Is Nala the only cat in the house now? Welcome to Sphynxlair fellow Canadian :love:

alandsim

Lairian
My husky was a rescue too and was very aggressive as he was an outdoors only dog, His name is Kash. Jade my Doberman was babied from birth so she was not aggressive at all, she had no problem with cats and was submissive. When we got Kash she looked at the cats like she wanted to eat them. I googled cats and huskys and was HORRRIFIED! so much so that my husband spend $2000 making a dog run outside so Kash could stay out there while we were at work. Well Kash would sometimes try to chase the cats, Jade quickly intervened as to say "NO, they are part of the pack" in no time at all Kash became so loving, like a little teddy bear, she absolutely loves the cat and Nala often rubs up on her or sleeps on her bed.

Is the cat your getting a kitten or older. Jimmy who we got older took longer to adjust, I just left his carrier open and made him a spot, gave him cat nip and treats and eventually he came around. Never force interactions and treats are always a good idea.

Its the perils of being a pet owner, especially with purebreds but its so worth it for the joy and love they bring to your life. spending time with them is my stress relief. I don't think you will have too much of a problem introducing, sometimes it takes more time than we expect but its worth it. xoxo wait to hear more about your babies!!!

That gives me some hope!

My husky's 2.5, sister-cat-to-be is 3. Jo the husky was re-homed from my BIL and I think babied from birth and KNOW babied since we got him. He is very beta with other dogs, I've even seen him do his submissive body language around my mom's cats but they just won't give him a chance and swat or run away. I'm just worried about the possibility of chasing, an accident (he's so clumsy and doesn't think he's as big as he is) or something leading to the cat getting hurt, or even just a stressful environment.

We will definitely be slooooowly acclimating them. From everything I've read, your best chance is controlled circumstances and giving them as much time as they need. I have a whole plan thought out that I'll probably post about another day!

Naked Alien

Lairian
Beautiful introduction story! I loved reading about your human and fur babies, and what an amazing surprise from your husband with Nala. She's stunning, as was Jimmy. Is Nala the only cat in the house now? Welcome to Sphynxlair fellow Canadian :love:

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, Nala is solo now. She misses her brothers (rookie and jimmy) Thankfully since I'm on mat leave I can be with her almost 24/7.

Naked Alien

Lairian
That gives me some hope!

My husky's 2.5, sister-cat-to-be is 3. Jo the husky was re-homed from my BIL and I think babied from birth and KNOW babied since we got him. He is very beta with other dogs, I've even seen him do his submissive body language around my mom's cats but they just won't give him a chance and swat or run away. I'm just worried about the possibility of chasing, an accident (he's so clumsy and doesn't think he's as big as he is) or something leading to the cat getting hurt, or even just a stressful environment.

We will definitely be slooooowly acclimating them. From everything I've read, your best chance is controlled circumstances and giving them as much time as they need. I have a whole plan thought out that I'll probably post about another day!

oh yeah it will be great. Can't wait to hear about it. We have a couple high spots in the house only the cat can get to and at first we put the cats home and litter box in one area and put cat nip on wherever we wanted the cats to be. Why do big dogs always think they are so small haha. And small ones think they are big, just like this picture of little Jimmy stealing Jades bed!

I'm excited for you. Do you know what you are going to name your new family member? Or does he/she(?) have a name already?

alandsim

Lairian
oh yeah it will be great. Can't wait to hear about it. We have a couple high spots in the house only the cat can get to and at first we put the cats home and litter box in one area and put cat nip on wherever we wanted the cats to be. Why do big dogs always think they are so small haha. And small ones think they are big, just like this picture of little Jimmy stealing Jades bed!

I'm excited for you. Do you know what you are going to name your new family member? Or does he/she(?) have a name already?View attachment 91649

That is precious! I see you were lucky that day and he didn't want to steal the human bed!

We're thinking Sim! A spin on her current name :) I'm a dork and I love the Sims whenever I have some free time to play it which is not often. We kind of adapted Jo's name to personalize it too since we didn't want to confuse and wanted it to sound close to the old one!

Naked Alien

Lairian
That is precious! I see you were lucky that day and he didn't want to steal the human bed!

We're thinking Sim! A spin on her current name :) I'm a dork and I love the Sims whenever I have some free time to play it which is not often. We kind of adapted Jo's name to personalize it too since we didn't want to confuse and wanted it to sound close to the old one!

omgosh love that name, I use to play Sims all the time! I just finally got a laptop! lol love the name

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. What a lovely family you have! Love all the pics of the nakid, the human kids and the furrballs.

Back