Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introducing a new kitty :)

Annelies

Lairian
Hello everyone!

We'd like to ask information how best to introduce a new cat. Something we have no experience with. At the moment we have Sméagol, a lively young fellow of about 7 months old.

While Sméagol is young he does know how to stand up for himself. He is curious and full of energy. The cat we'd like to introduce is called Ramses. He is a bit shy and timid we are told, though he is older then Sméagol, being about two years of age.

If you have any thoughts about things we should keep in mind, or any tips or tricks, please share them :)

Regards, Annelies

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on the new kitty!
I would introduce them slow, start by keeping one in A room with a closed door that way they can smell each other and get used to that, after A day or so let them together but not when they are alone until you see how they act together. It may take A bit longer because of their age so be patient.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Has Ramses already been adopted?

If not: before adopting Ramses, what information do you know about him as far as preventive care, HCM screening, sexual alteration, etc. Has he been around other cats before (both Ramses and Smeagol?).

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would wait a week because one cat might bring germs in.
Make sure the new cat does not come down with anything first.
I agree with everything else she said.
I had cats get sick because of a new cat before.
Go slow when you introduce them.
I have a new sphynx coming next week.

gizmo6370

Banned
Congrats Annelies :Smile:

I'm glad to hear that Ramses from Manon finds his new forever home with you and your family....I felt so sorry for him when i heard he had to be rehomed :Cry:

Annelies

Lairian
It is not for sure yet. After my vacation (tonight we fly to Spain) I will call the breeder for een appointment. We first want to look If Ramses is what we're looking for (I'm sure he will), but to have a look first was a tip of a friend of mine. She once looked for a cat and both, she and the cat didin't like each other much. My husband asked the question (the topic was openend by paul and used my name :LOL: cause we don't have any experience with introducing new kitty's to ours.

Everything is new. the day before yesterday, we brought Smégol to his stayingadress, while we having our vacation. He didn't like it that much. the puur little guy had stress and pooped all over in booth the cat-carrier and the car. He never had done that before. And o mygod, the smel was so horrible!

gizmo6370

Banned
Have a nice vacation :Smile:....i hope that Ramses will be adopted by you and your family....but it is very wise to meet him first and see how that goes :Wink:

Sara074

Lairian
Coexistence between cats:
ADULT CAT -ADULT CAT
Will they always be in competition and habr? constant fights. It is a practically impossible relation, unless both are sterilized, which it does to the a little more tolerant males.
If the house is spacious it is possible that each one arms his own territory and ignores another cat. Also the relation will be better if the newly come cat is not domineering or if it comes from an ambience where there are more cats.
ADULT CAT -ADULT CAT
Problems to the beginning and then it is probable that they are on good terms or that they turn into couple. Possible relation.
ADULT CAT- KITTEN
First the adult cat will demonstrate that he is the chief and then they will be friends or they will be on good terms.
It is a good and positive relation in the majority of the cases.
ADULT CAT -ADULT CAT
The cat will fight to support his hierarchy and it is probable that they are never on good terms. Difficult relation.
ADULT CAT -ADULT CAT
They will fight for the leadership. It is almost impossible if the resident cat (that already this in our house) has had kittens or if both are in zeal. It works well if both cats are young and have not had babies or if they are cats accustomed to living with other cats and therefore tolerant (cats that have been rescued or aged cats, for example).
ADULT CAT- KITTEN
The kitten will receive a pair of threats and blows before being adopted and accepted as a son. Very good relation.
KITTEN ADULT CAT
Meanwhile the adult cat gets accustomed to his new hearth, both animals are ignored. Later it is very possible that they are on good terms. Good relation.
KITTEN- ADULT CAT
The female will assume the mother's role or cat leader from the beginning. Very good relation.
KITTEN- KITTEN
It is the ideal situation, since problems of adaptation do not exist not of leadership. Both kittens will start playing, as if they were brothers, from the moment to know each other.

The sphynx have a special cárater and adapt themselves more easily.

I had a kitten of 7 mese and a sphynx came to house 3 years, I made them separated one day, then I made them together it was 2 days of guerr., Now they sleep together and they are always looked.

Ramsés is of Spain, me soyy Spaniard. Does his proprietress call It was shining? If it is she, I can inform you about his health.

Annelies

Lairian
Thanks all for your great answers and support.

Yesterday we came back from the Canarian Islands and we have had a great time. We both went a little sick, but that's all gone now.

It is likely that tomorrow we going to have a look at Ramses. I contacted the breerder where he stays, and she says that is is ok to come over and look. I exited!

Smeagol didin't like his little vacantion at the cat's hostess. He screemed like a dog, when he saw us cooming. And now, everything is back to normal and he is just one happy cat!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear you had a nice holiday and Smeagol is happy your back too! Good luck meeting Rameses...let us know how you get on!

X

susi794

Staff member
It might take a little work and patience, but if it works out, it'll be wonderful for you all! Good Luck and I hope Ramses finds his forever home with you.

gizmo6370

Banned
Welcome back:Smile:.....I'm glad for Smeagol that everything is back to normal :Wink:
I hope that it will click with Ramses....he sure does deserve a good and loving home :ThumbsUp:

Annelies

Lairian
Welcome back:Smile:.....I'm glad for Smeagol that everything is back to normal :Wink:
I hope that it will click with Ramses....he sure does deserve a good and loving home :ThumbsUp:

Tomorrow the appointment is for sure. At two o'clock. When there's a click, we can take Rames home!
I called his breeder today and she thinks it is ok to take him inmediately, when the feeling is ok. Thus, maybe, we have a new familymember tomorrow!

The reason for taking him inmediately, is because of our lack of an driver's licence. I'm poor sigthted, I can see a 15% of the sight of normal people, and my husband won't have a licence, so my sister in law is driving.

Annelies

Lairian
We have taken Ramses in and after a cold reception by Sméagol at first (some growling and hissing) they are getting along better by the hour! Things are working out well it seeoth cats are geusy getting used to one another :)ms as b

gizmo6370

Banned
Little preview of Ramses :Adore:

Attachments

• Ramses.JPG
    Ramses.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 26

Annelies

Lairian
Thanx all! He sure is adorable!
(and a little stinker too :)!!)

Tomorrow they start licking and washing eachother and they ate from the same can. And no hissing and growling anymore.

Ramses is still shy. His follows Smeagol everywhere in the house. I'm so glad we've bring him in!

Back