Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introducing a rabbit to a sphynx?

heyheyhaven

Lairian
Hello everyone. I have an interesting situation and I could use some advice.

I had a pet lionhead rabbit named Kismit. She was well socialized, sweet, and playful. When I moved out I couldn't bring Kismit with me. So I gave her to a family friend who promised to take good care of her.

Since then I have moved a few times and gotten my sphynx cat Dobby. Dobby is now almost one.

Recently that family friend has contacted me to tell me they can no longer care for Kismit. I went to visit her and it is apearent that she hasn't been getting the attention she needs. I took her out and played with her. She is still very sweet, maybe not as social as she use to be (due to lack of attention and her age).

So I would like to bring Kismit home where she can get the attention and care she deserves. My only worry is intoducing and socializing her to Dobby. If I can't make it work (either by them getting along or keeping them segregated), I will have to find Kismit a new home.

I posted this in non-sphynx questions because I am worried about how Kismit will react to Dobby. I am also worried that Dobby will be too rough for her.

When I had Kismit, she was around my mums two furry cats. But they were not as energetic as Dobby is. And Dobby has been around other cats before, but has never been around a rabbit.

Does anyone have any advice in this area? Any suggestions on seeing if they can get along? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you,:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
I am glad you are going to bring Kismit home- sounds like she needs to live her life out with her mum - you..
You can always get a huge dog crate and make her a nice indoor Kismit room-
Taking time to love and spoil each on their own- free roaming at separate times if need be-

I had cats rabbits and dogs together as a kid
We socialized using crates, taking it slow- and harnessses
Time together always supervised-

I look forward to pics of Kismit :) and hope she comes home soon!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone. I have an interesting situation and I could use some advice.

I had a pet lionhead rabbit named Kismit. She was well socialized, sweet, and playful. When I moved out I couldn't bring Kismit with me. So I gave her to a family friend who promised to take good care of her.

Since then I have moved a few times and gotten my sphynx cat Dobby. Dobby is now almost one.

Recently that family friend has contacted me to tell me they can no longer care for Kismit. I went to visit her and it is apearent that she hasn't been getting the attention she needs. I took her out and played with her. She is still very sweet, maybe not as social as she use to be (due to lack of attention and her age).

So I would like to bring Kismit home where she can get the attention and care she deserves. My only worry is intoducing and socializing her to Dobby. If I can't make it work (either by them getting along or keeping them segregated), I will have to find Kismit a new home.

I posted this in non-sphynx questions because I am worried about how Kismit will react to Dobby. I am also worried that Dobby will be too rough for her.

When I had Kismit, she was around my mums two furry cats. But they were not as energetic as Dobby is. And Dobby has been around other cats before, but has never been around a rabbit.

Does anyone have any advice in this area? Any suggestions on seeing if they can get along? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you,:)
I think its just a matter of trying it. This thread would apply in most animal intros - http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...ynx-cat-or-sphynx-kitten-into-the-home.11304/ keep us posted on the meeting. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I also hope it will work out so you can keep Kismet. She needs to be back home
with you. I hate she has been neglected, not having the home and love she
did with you.

heyheyhaven

Lairian
Thanks for everyone's input. It really upsets me too that she wans't cared for the way she should have been. I know that bringing her home will improve her life dramatically. I went out and bought her a much larger pen then the one she is in now. I will be bringing home this weekend.

I just hope Dobby behaves himself, (as if that will ever happen ;)).

Back