Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introducing my Sphynx to my dog? Help XD

KelseaLoren

Lairian
I am not getting my baby until May, but I have been trying to figure out everything in advanced. I was wondering how I should introduce Oliver to my dog, Sam. I would know what to do if I was introducing Sam to a puppy, and for some reason in my mind a puppy is a little more hardy and would be ok if Sam got a little rough, but Oliver will be so small and his lack of fur makes him look so fragile. I also want them to be friends, but every animal has their own personality.

Sam is an 85 pound goldendoodle, and he really would never voluntarily hurt anything, he even spits things out if you try and put them in his mouth (hands, toys), he doesn't nip when he plays, but he is just so big. He is pretty submissive and always give in to other dogs, and he has seen cats before, but he pretty much ignored them, but those were much older cats, not playful kittens. I also know the breeder has at least one dog, but he is tiny, so I don't know how Oliver will feel about a big dog. How did you guys introduce your dog to your new kitten? Is there a trick to it? I also don't want to freak Oliver out. I want to help make things go as smoothly as possible. Any pointers?

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have 2 dogs that I had to intro my kittens to when I got them. I kept the kittens in a room for a week just to get them acclimated and to build a bond. Then I started letting the kittens out in the house while the dogs were outside so they got used to that. I would give the dogs blankets that the kittens had been sleeping on so they could smell them. The first intro,I held the cats while I gave treats to the dogs then set kittens down next to me and let them all go. The kittens were unfazed! I did separate them when I wasn't home till the kittens got a bit bigger. My one dog plays pretty rough with my male cat, they are tougher than they look!

KelseaLoren

Lairian
I have 2 dogs that I had to intro my kittens to when I got them. I kept the kittens in a room for a week just to get them acclimated and to build a bond. Then I started letting the kittens out in the house while the dogs were outside so they got used to that. I would give the dogs blankets that the kittens had been sleeping on so they could smell them. The first intro,I held the cats while I gave treats to the dogs then set kittens down next to me and let them all go. The kittens were unfazed! I did separate them when I wasn't home till the kittens got a bit bigger. My one dog plays pretty rough with my male cat, they are tougher than they look!
Thanks! I was trying to figure out the treat situation and the timeline on how to slowly do it. I honestly think my dog might just lay there and not care at all, but I don't want to take any chances. I think my kitten might end up being rougher with Sam than the other way around. I just don't want him to be stepped on or anything, I am probably just feeling over protective of him.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The kitten will prob be very curious of the dog, sphynx kittens are very brave! I wouldn't doubt that your baby tries to initiate play with the dog pretty quickly.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Every dog is different, when we got Blue we already had a 7 year old cat Fifa so the dogs know how to behave, but Fifa is a miserable old man these days & doesnt bother nobody so the dogs have forgot all about the playful kitten stage, by the time we had collected blue (3hr drive) it was 11pm before we got home, we let the dogs have a little sniff while Blue was on our knee & then took him up to bed & the girls slept in the kitchen, fifa sulked & slept on the sofa which was the reaction we expected from him lol, the next day we mainly cuddled blue but the girls had full run off the house & came for the odd sniff but really couldnt care less there was a new addition to the household, within a week or so Blue was tail catching as the girls walked past the chairs & luckily weve never had any problems, Blues the boss in our house now, no questions asked !!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Every dog is different, when we got Blue we already had a 7 year old cat Fifa so the dogs know how to behave, but Fifa is a miserable old man these days & doesnt bother nobody so the dogs have forgot all about the playful kitten stage, by the time we had collected blue (3hr drive) it was 11pm before we got home, we let the dogs have a little sniff while Blue was on our knee & then took him up to bed & the girls slept in the kitchen, fifa sulked & slept on the sofa which was the reaction we expected from him lol, the next day we mainly cuddled blue but the girls had full run off the house & came for the odd sniff but really couldnt care less there was a new addition to the household, within a week or so Blue was tail catching as the girls walked past the chairs & luckily weve never had any problems, Blues the boss in our house now, no questions asked !!!View attachment 45181View attachment 45182 View attachment 45183
How adorable, love it.

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We had two dogs before we got our three cats, so each cat had to be introduced to our two dogs. For the first few days or so, we would keep our new kitten in one room of the house. We would bring our dogs the blankets the kitten had been sleeping on so they could get used to their scent. After doing this for a few days, we would put our dogs on a leash and bring them into the room while holding the kitten. Be careful though, because one of our kittens got nervous and scratched up the person who was holding her. Eventually, when both the dog and cat seemed calm in each other's presence, we would bring them close to each other (still holding them) and let them sniff each other. Then you just keep doing this until they get used to that! One of my dogs LOVED to give my sphynx baths because it as just like licking a human. She would always be licking him. My dogs have since passed, but they all loved each other. Goodluck!