Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introducing new cat

hcraft

Lairian
Hello!

I am currently in the process of getting a new kitten to be a companion for my Sphynx, Archibald (his previous companion recently passed away). He has definitely been lonely - he meows loudly throughout the day (I have a pet cam), sit alone, and is overly affectionate when I am home (which I don’t mind).

I’m wondering if any of you have experience introducing a kitten into a household with an older male neutered Sphynx? Any suggestions on best gender for the kitten? What was your experience? What worked and what didn’t?

Thank you Sphynx Lair family!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
How exciting. Here is some info you might find useful. Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

We have introduced a few over the years. Key for us was keeping them separated for a week in a safe room and us bonding with the newbie before the cats, getting clean vet check, then slowly started room switching after a week so the new kitten could explore the rest of the house while the others were in the safe room smelling everything the kitten got into. Keep us updated.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aww. Well kittens are certainly easier to introduce than adults. Also, I think that neutered male cats are much more chill about it than females (in general)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uksphynxmum

Lairian
My nuetered Male sphynz rizzy who recently passed away age 12 lived alone until 10 when we introduced Luna female kitten. He was unsure for couple days then fine. 10 months later along come Otto Male kitten. Luna was a bit more bothered than Rizzy but only took a few days. In my opinion the boys seemed more relaxed with each other, Luna always a little on edge bless her. As people say I think its much easier to introduce a kitten. Otto and Luna are now very good friend's :D

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with the above messages :giggle: I introduced my second boy when he was 7 months old, to my first boy who was then 13 months old and it worked out amazingly straight away! I don't personally have experience with females, but from everything I've read it does seem they are a bit less,..hmm, easygoing. In general it is definitely easier to introduce a kitten, since the older cat can be the dominant one and might feel more secure and at ease.