Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introducing new kitten

Hello. I saw a similar recent post on introducing a new sphynx kitten and wanted to get some opinions on my situation. I have a 2 yr old neutered male sphynx and got a 2nd male sphynx 2 weeks ago (he is 15 wks old, neutered). I segregated him in a separate room for the first 9 days and followed recommended steps for introducing - feeding on opposite sides of closed door, swapping rooms etc. There was some initial hissing on the part of my older cat but once this stopped I decided to introduce. Did short introductions giving them both treats. There was no hissing or aggression. Now though the older sphynx is chasing the kitten down and pinning him to the ground and biting and kicking him very roughly. The kitten sometimes squeaks and then runs and hides. Any time he runs (even in play) the older cat chases him and repeats the above. I do notice the older cat’s tail whipping back and forth before he pounces but otherwise he is silent. After the “attack” the older cat is making what sounds like loud sniffing sounds. Does this sound like normal behaviour? Should i continue introducing or keep them separate? I don’t want the behaviour to get worse but I don’t know what it means? Currently the kitten still spends the majority of time separated in his room. Thanks for any advice!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
I have 4 adoptees 3 males 1 female
My one boy was a brat at first
Keep doing what you are don't and supervise imteractions.
I tend to go very slooooow with intros and use a kitty room for a couple of weeks .
I go a their comfort level - some intro days were better than others .

Now they are best buddies

Patience love supervision positive reinforcement :)
You got this

Btw , when my one was a brat at times , I actually used a harness and a leash on him for intros

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Your older one is showing the kitten who's the boss. They need some time to sort this out. I always try to interfer as less as possible, as long as there's no marks or blood.
The sniffing sounds could well be sniffing the new smell of the kitten.

I'm going through this now. Trying to introduce my 11 week old boy to my 7 year old girl. I've kept them separate with a slow intro for limited time each day for 9 days now. The older one just hisses and either stays put or runs for higher ground. No claws no fights just a growl and hiss. She'll even be sitting in her bed with her paws tucked under her and if the little one tries to get in the bed she hisses at him. He doesn't bite or hiss and seems to just want to snuggle with her or play. He will jump on her when he's in crazy play mode and chase her around the house. I'm hoping she'll come around. Thoughts or suggestions?

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's probably the older one showing the kitten who is boss. My 2 girls get along great but even when they're just playing one of them likes to pin the other one and hold her down by biting the scruff of the neck. It's their natural instincts. Anyway as soon as I go up to them it stops; if it starts up again I put them in separate rooms for a while. Since you have a little kitten I would definitely supervise their together time.

@Yoda mom
@Bailey21
@Yumi
@stellarorion
@Zab
I've had my little guy since Sept 14. I did the slow intro. They can be in the same room together but when Buck is in crazy kitty play mode he chases my older girl. She hisses,growls, sometimes stays gives him a smack and sometimes she runs. I try to distract him with toys but he locks on that target and wants to play. I have started separating them when he is in wild eyed play mode and just wont give up. I sleep in his safe room with him. He is wonderful and sleeps through the night. He's out of the room most of the day now except when he starts driving my girl nuts. How's it going for everyone else? Any suggestions of what's working for you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Mime took a couple of months to settle together.
I did as you are doing -

Toby act silly had his time outs when he huffed and puffed played like a Wild man and the others had enough .

Wear him out with a Dabird play toy or such before letting him run loose - maybe less of brat

Love, Play time and patience

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I only have one so I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. Sorry Shmeeps :(
I'm already glad she's not hissing and growling to me anymore :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Positive vibes send and toes crossed that it works out asap! (y):LOL:
How my run went with her is posted somewhere in the forum, forgot which of my own topics though but it has ''I don't know where she is'' in the tittle. Cause well half of the time I didn't know the first few days :facepalm:
Can't wait till summer to get a second baby

Yoda mom

Staff member
I only have one so I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. Sorry Shmeeps :(
I'm already glad she's not hissing and growling to me anymore :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Positive vibes send and toes crossed that it works out asap! (y):LOL:
How my run went with her is posted somewhere in the forum, forgot which of my own topics though but it has ''I don't know where she is'' in the tittle. Cause well half of the time I didn't know the first few days :facepalm:
Can't wait till summer to get a second baby
Ooooh did I see u mention a summer Sphynx in the future :)

@Shmeeps
I really like the ome piece Dabird pole toy I get at pet supermarket.
They have 2 piece pole dabirds I believe at petco

**** be sure to lock away the Dabird ! They will chew the cord ! And even the feathers!
*Mine play very rough with Dabird- like I catching a shark ! Toby huffs ! and barks!

I use two dabird toys at s time for intros in neutrals living room area .
**If a foot or leg gets get caught up in it , I drop the wand and they walk out of the tangle vs bolting with it around their leg - another good reason to only use supervised.
Don't even think of not locking in a closet - they will find it

I also cross scent hand towels and place by their food dishes .
I swap beds for cross scenting

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, we're doing good with Siiri and Ville. But they are both kittens with about 4 months age difference and Siiri is double the size. Yes, there is crazy play chasing, hard slapping, sometimes Siiri preformes a Nelson hold on Ville and bites him in the throat or ear. Never any blood or scratch marks so I try to look the other way. They need to fix this by themselves. Sometimes the play gets out of hand, that's when I separate them for an hour or so in different rooms. We worked hard on getting them to eat beside one another, you know positive vibes with food. Now they sometimes sleep together, sometimes separate. Grooming each other one minute, war the next... don't stress about anything, I'm sure they can feel that. Patience and love...

@Yumi Oops sorry. I forgot you only have one. When summer rolls around maybe I'll be helping you ;)
@Yoda mom I'm heading over to Pet Supermarket today. I've swapped beds and they use the same heated bed in the livingroom. I'll give the food dish one a try. Thank you for all your advice.
@Zab Thank you for sharing. I'm glad it's working out between Siiri and Ville. I hope mine will snuggle together soon.
@Condo commando @Toa and Ross thank you. It's hard to watch them duke it out. I think you're right about her showing him who is boss but sometimes she cant be bothered and just heads for higher ground so it's taking a little longer.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Shmeeps hopefully so you better get this right :ROFLMAO: lolol :ROFLMAO:
Cause despite they're comming from the same breeder, help probably will be needed :ROFLMAO:
((hugs))