Introducing new kitten

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by stellarorion, Sep 15, 2018 at 5:24 PM.

1. stellarorion

stellarorionLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $165.48
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello. I saw a similar recent post on introducing a new sphynx kitten and wanted to get some opinions on my situation. I have a 2 yr old neutered male sphynx and got a 2nd male sphynx 2 weeks ago (he is 15 wks old, neutered). I segregated him in a separate room for the first 9 days and followed recommended steps for introducing - feeding on opposite sides of closed door, swapping rooms etc. There was some initial hissing on the part of my older cat but once this stopped I decided to introduce. Did short introductions giving them both treats. There was no hissing or aggression. Now though the older sphynx is chasing the kitten down and pinning him to the ground and biting and kicking him very roughly. The kitten sometimes squeaks and then runs and hides. Any time he runs (even in play) the older cat chases him and repeats the above. I do notice the older cat’s tail whipping back and forth before he pounces but otherwise he is silent. After the “attack” the older cat is making what sounds like loud sniffing sounds. Does this sound like normal behaviour? Should i continue introducing or keep them separate? I don’t want the behaviour to get worse but I don’t know what it means? Currently the kitten still spends the majority of time separated in his room. Thanks for any advice!!!

• Hugs Hugs x 2

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $101,454.26
      Ratings:
      +10,972
      • Butterflies
      • Red Sphynx
      • Pink Sphynx
      • Black Sphynx
      I have 4 adoptees 3 males 1 female
      My one boy was a brat at first
      Keep doing what you are don't and supervise imteractions.
      I tend to go very slooooow with intros and use a kitty room for a couple of weeks .
      I go a their comfort level - some intro days were better than others .

Now they are best buddies

Patience love supervision positive reinforcement :)
      You got this

Btw , when my one was a brat at times , I actually used a harness and a leash on him for intros

• Like Like x 1
      • Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $216,192.65
        Ratings:
        +19,527
        Your older one is showing the kitten who's the boss. They need some time to sort this out. I always try to interfer as less as possible, as long as there's no marks or blood.
        The sniffing sounds could well be sniffing the new smell of the kitten.

• Like Like x 1