Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introduction: My Sphynx Story

mindocr

Lairian

Hi there!

I am a sphynx "rookie" but have already found these creatures to be very addicting! I had never thought of myself to be a "cat person" by nature and a year ago I would laughed if someone told me I'd fall in love with the species. Of course this was all before I discovered the joys of owning a Sphynx!

I've been an animal lover my entire life and worked as a primatologist for several years prior to returning to grad sch0ol. Working with apes has been one of the most memorable and fulfilling experiences I have had thus far in my life, but being the owner of a sphynx has come to be equally rewarding!

I have been know to bring home some unique and unusually pets and typically get some nagging for doing so. However, my decision to purchase a sphynx back in June was met with much excitement and anticipation. I just happened to fall in love with a small critter whose breeder was located states away. Although friends and family tried to convince me to seek out breeders in our own state (WI), I already had my heart set on this adorable little sphynx who just happen to be located in Utah.

Perhaps it was fate or simply luck, but the little sphynx was soon on her way to us via Delta Airlines. Although I did have fears about the stress a flight might have on this little creature, I knew a 50 hour car drive through the Rocky Mountains would be just as upsetting. The breeder we purchased our sphynx (Penelope-aka "Penny") from was extremely knowledgeable and had no doubts or worries about having her delivered by plane. This calmed my nerves and solidified my decision to go through with things.

I soon found myself at the airport awaiting our new addition's arrival. I reported to the ticket counter where I was told to pick her up and was handed a little blue pet carrier. I would hardly contain myself as I knelt down to open the small door. Out crawled the most adorable little kitten. She was dressed in a little pink shirt and purred loudly as she crawled into my arms. She was so unconditional with her affection (something I had rarely experienced as far as felines are concerned).

We have had absolutely no problems with Penny and have been a happy family ever since. I am sure several of our friends roll their eyes every time a new "baby" picture is posted or when the first thing out of our mouths is "Penny this, Penny that". However, I think they would feel differently if they were the owners of such an amazing creature as the sphynx!

~ Nichole, Jeff and Penny

spygirl

Banned
Wow! What an interesting story and cool career! I too, have been known to bring home unusual and exotic pets. So how could I not fall in love with a Sphynx! Your kitties are beautiful! Welcome to the lair!

Gizzymom

Banned
Nichole, Your baby is beautiful!! Congrats on your addition to your family - You sound like me when I first got my baby... I was just amazed at how a tiny little thing could affect me so much!

Welcome to Sphynx Lair - you are going to love it! :Laugh:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair. I'm sure we'd love to hear some of your crazy animal stories :) And congrats on your new baby! she's adorable!!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair and congratulations on your new beautiful baby! I remember picking Nudie up at the airport- one of the moments that changed my life!!!

LLevenson

Lairian
congrats on your new addition!!! She's adorable! Sphynxies get right into your heart and stay there!

Welcome to the 'Lair...you'll find that you can NEVER post too many pictures or share too many sphynx-stories here!! :LOL:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Welcome to the site!!!!!
I got my first sphynx almost 2 years ago and she is my favorite cat.
She came right to me when we picked her up at the airport.
Your cat is pretty.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair we are so glad you have joined us:ThumbsUp: Great story! Sounds like you had a cool job, would love some pics of that if you have them.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair, Nichole, Jeff and Penny! You're part of the family now! Looking forward to getting to know you better and hearing about some of the experiences you've had as a primatologist. Penny is lovely and we totally understand beginning every conversation with something about one of our babies.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair. We love hearing about Penny so don't be shy about writing about her and show us pics too please. She's beautiful.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Mindocr and welcome to Sphynxlair! Penny is gorgeous! I hope you are enjoying the site! and welcome to the world of Sphynx!:ThumbsUp:

Back