Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introduction of me and my rat monkey

Christalblu

Lairian
Hello all I have to start by saying how happy I am to have found this place. My name is Christalblu and my husband and I have the privilege of sharing our house with two cats, our Devon Rex, Philo and his little sister our Sphynx, Merkin. Her full name is Merkin Godiva...but of course she's called many things depending on her level of good or bad behavior (Rat Monkey, Poo Beast....you get the picture).

I've had Philo for 15 years and after 10 years and yet another move and not taking any of the other cats with us (since they belonged to the roommate) we figured it was time to get him a new sibling to keep him on his toes. She actually keeps us all on our toes. Philo didn't want a kitten either but now I'm not sure what he'd do without her.

When we got her though she got sick in the first week and we almost lost her (I'll have to post then and now pics) she lost a third of her body weight and she was a little tiny to begin with. It was horrible because we almost lost her. She was in the vet over night and I kept hearing ghost meows. In the morning we (husband and I) had a talk about what to do if we lost the kitten.

We felt that she couldn't possibly be bonded to us after a week...or us to her? We went to see her at emergency room (she had been kept over night). When they brought her to us the poor thing was on IV and bundled in blankets and water bottles to keep her warm cause her temp dropped. She saw us and immediately recognized who we were and started meowing till we held her. At that point we knew she had our hearts and my husband just looked at me and said "Whatever it takes"...

To make a long story (and believe me this is a condensed version) short.
I am happy to report that Merkin turned four in October. We have not looked back and she's never been so healthy. Oh and before anyone thinks it was the breeder. Her illness was just a random virus and had nothing to do with her breeder at all. In fact she had a clean bill of health the day we brought her home, but more than likely in the course of the vet visit she may have come in contact with something and it apparently had issues with her system. We are extra careful now when we take her to the vet. I always have something (a towel or blanket) to cover the table. You never know.

At any rate that took longer than I had anticipated. I'm excited to be here and I am looking forward to getting to know you and hear about and see photos of your lovely kitties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Banned
Welcome to the forum, Christalblu! I'm so glad your story had a happy outcome! Not at all surprised that little kitten stole your heart so quickly, either!

Looking forward to more stories and photos!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome, Cristalblu! Thanks so much for sharing your story with us....Merkin sounds like such a special little kitty! I'm so glad to hear that she recovered fully from her illness.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
I would love to see alot of pictures of her and am glad she is ok now.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to the lair!! You will love it here. We all love our sphynx babies!! Can't wait to see pics and hear more about your beautiful baby.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair Christalblu! What a great story! glad you could join us!!:Laugh::ThumbsUp:

Elisabet

Lairian
Welcome...
Its nice to meet someone besides me who calls her cat rat.
When Decibel was younger I thought she looked like a cross between a turtle and a rat, so I called her turtlerat for a long time.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome your story is wonderful, so nice everything turned out well!:ThumbsUp:
Also nice of you to point out that the breeder was not at fault, I know alot of times it can be but in most cases people are quick to blame others instead of finding the true problem.
We would love to see some pictures.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
sounds like Merkin is an awesome kitty!

I look foward to pics.
Welcome :)

--I love the Dead Alive reference
/did anyone else spot the crate marked 'Sumatran rat-monkey' in Peter Jackson's King Kong?

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello all I have to start by saying how happy I am to have found this place. My name is Christalblu and my husband and I have the privilege of sharing our house with two cats, our Devon Rex, Philo and his little sister our Sphynx, Merkin. Her full name is Merkin Godiva...but of course she's called many things depending on her level of good or bad behavior (Rat Monkey, Poo Beast....you get the picture).

I've had Philo for 15 years and after 10 years and yet another move and not taking any of the other cats with us (since they belonged to the roommate) we figured it was time to get him a new sibling to keep him on his toes. She actually keeps us all on our toes. Philo didn't want a kitten either but now I'm not sure what he'd do without her.

When we got her though she got sick in the first week and we almost lost her (I'll have to post then and now pics) she lost a third of her body weight and she was a little tiny to begin with. It was horrible because we almost lost her. She was in the vet over night and I kept hearing ghost meows. In the morning we (husband and I) had a talk about what to do if we lost the kitten.

We felt that she couldn't possibly be bonded to us after a week...or us to her? We went to see her at emergency room (she had been kept over night). When they brought her to us the poor thing was on IV and bundled in blankets and water bottles to keep her warm cause her temp dropped. She saw us and immediately recognized who we were and started meowing till we held her. At that point we knew she had our hearts and my husband just looked at me and said "Whatever it takes"...

To make a long story (and believe me this is a condensed version) short.
I am happy to report that Merkin turned four in October. We have not looked back and she's never been so healthy. Oh and before anyone thinks it was the breeder. Her illness was just a random virus and had nothing to do with her breeder at all. In fact she had a clean bill of health the day we brought her home, but more than likely in the course of the vet visit she may have come in contact with something and it apparently had issues with her system. We are extra careful now when we take her to the vet. I always have something (a towel or blanket) to cover the table. You never know.

At any rate that took longer than I had anticipated. I'm excited to be here and I am looking forward to getting to know you and hear about and see photos of your lovely kitties.

Merkin is very cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Very compeling story. We are glad to have you. Can't wait to see more photos of your kitties and to get to know you better. Welcome!

Back