Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Involuntary Muscle Spasm?

LisaBrass

Lairian
Hello, first time posting and hoping for some ideas.. I had posted in a vet group as well, but awaiting answers so thought I’d reach out to ya’ll.

My question is regarding my neutered, almost 2 year old, Zion. After reading that grain-free foods are being linked to DCM in dogs and some cats and learning that Sphynx are already prone to some heart issues, I decided to switch his dry and wet food from Instinct to Hills Science. It’s been about a month and he has gone from 10lbs to 9lbs and has developed what seems like an involuntary muscle spasm in his chest/shoulder area. By spasms I mean he feels like he’s tensing his muscles and relaxing every couple of seconds.
I notice the trembling mostly while he’s resting or sleeping and it’s not his normal dream twitches or shivers as he’ll do it even when he’s nice and toasty warm.

All of his body functions and behaviors seem to be normal.

I was just curious if any of you have seen similar issues and if you believe it could possibly be food related? Or are there underlying health issues I need to look out for that may be related to these spasms?

I took him to the vet and bloodwork came back good, but my vet had no other input on what his trembling could be.. I’ve never had any cat do it and just need some reassurance as I’ve read it could be an indication of seizures.

I appreciate any input and hope everyone is doing well during this crazy time.

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LisaBrass , awh,. Zion is so handsome. glad you jumped in to post so members can chime in. can you take a video of it and upload to youtube to share it here ? my 4 eat hills urinary hairball dry food., 9 yrs old now and no issues with the food. how long does it last? it only when sleeping? wonder if it like when dogs twitch, dream in sleep sometimes mine do it more intense than other times. just so odd, wish I could add more. surely members will chime in. Did the vet take a good listen to Zion's heart for any murmurs? I just ask as a matter of routine on any vet visit to take a good listen to the hearts even if we are there for something else. following closely , hugs n head smooches.
the world is a crazy time right now for sure, can you set up a flwup appointment? send a video to your vets office for a peek at it? we can't diagnosis but do share info , experiences you can discuss with your vet.
I use internet to educate myself but never read more into it, always best to vet check for our individual babies circumstances , each kitty is different. hope you can share a video with us

Last edited:

LisaBrass

Lairian
Thanks for taking time to reply. I haven’t been able to catch it on video because it’s normally when we are laying down and I can feel it more than anything. It’s definitely not his typical dream twitch. I timed it the other night and it finally calmed down after about 30 minutes. The vet did give his heart and lungs a good listen.. said they sounded good, no need for follow up. He assumed maybe because he dropped weight he may be getting cold..he quivers even when nice and warm though so I’m not too sure it’s that.

After posting here I did see a similar post regarding food change and muscle trembling. The video in that post looks very similar to Zion’s little trembles. I will be reading more and looking into what could be linked.

Much appreciation!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LisaBrass awh,,you are a great mum... please please keep us updated. do you get any replies from the vet group?
hugs n positive vibe head smooches! tagging @StacyD

Last edited: