Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Involuntary Spasm/seizure

mommasphynx

Lairian
Hi All, new here to SphynxLair, but not new to owning the hairless wonders. I have two male sphynx cats, half brothers, from the same breeder, ages 7 and 5. Usually, I can decipher my cats and have intermediate to advanced knowledge of cats and dogs in general, but I am stumped on this one and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas ... For the past three months, my older sphynx (Prince) has had what looks like mini-strokes/seizures. Now, before you think, OMG, take him to the vet! We have ... and spent oodles of money on trying to find out what the actual diagnosis is. When it happens, it comes out of no where. He goes very quiet, sits down and one of his paws involuntarily goes up, right up to his face and he stiffens. It frightened me the first time he did it and off to the vet we went within 10 mins. By the time we got the vet, it was as if nothing happened ... not sure the vet believed us! We've had a battery of tests performed, all coming up absolutely normal and the vet(s) are stumped. We even video taped an episode. He will go for weeks without having an episode, but then have 3 in a week. He comes out of it pretty quickly. My go-to is getting his favourite blanket and wrapping him up and holding him safe. He starts purring immediately, and then after about 5-10 mins, he's fine and back to his usual self. His brother, Ollie, has had one similar episode about 1.5 years ago, but nothing since.
Wondering if it has anything to do with the breeding? Has anyone else experienced anything like it???? I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. They are our babies and we would be lost without them.
Prince has had allergies most of his life and they are both on special food (grain free) as this seems to be the best for his allergies. No other comorbidities at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mommasphynx , welcome to the lair family
I am sure others members will chime
@Catzzzmeow can chime in with her experiences with her baby

The top right search box is a good resource tool to find other members with similar experiences with their kitties who may have info to share to discuss with your vet
Here is a result for seizures
Search Results for Query: Seizures | Sphynxlair
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of pages for "similar threads "

Big hugs to you and head smooches to your babies

Do you have the video to share with us ?

We all come together here for the love of sphynx

I hope you can share pics of both your babies

Positve vibes sent

Will be following closely for updates

mommasphynx

Lairian
@mommasphynx you are not alone. I will share some links from my experience ...here’s one Jouët seizure?

My goodness! It's sounds EXACTLY like what I have experienced and witnessed, right down to running around after the episode. Thank you SO much for sharing. I was feeling very alone in this. Still not sure what it is, but I feel better knowing we are not alone. I am going to keep a log now. The unfortunate thing is I am scared if this happens when we are not home ... It's crazy how these little creatures have been able to take over my whole heart! Thank you again for sharing. Have you come across any ideas or trends? What kind of food do you have them on?

mommasphynx

Lairian
@mommasphynx , welcome to the lair family
I am sure others members will chime
@Catzzzmeow can chime in with her experiences with her baby

The top right search box is a good resource tool to find other members with similar experiences with their kitties who may have info to share to discuss with your vet
Here is a result for seizures
Search Results for Query: Seizures | Sphynxlair
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of pages for "similar threads "

Big hugs to you and head smooches to your babies

Do you have the video to share with us ?

We all come together here for the love of sphynx

I hope you can share pics of both your babies

Positve vibes sent

Will be following closely for updates

Thank you so much. Glad I found this community!!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our vet said with idiopathic epilepsy they never know what triggers it. I have found no rhyme or reason and cannot make any connection if there is something triggering it. The last one we saw was back in August (knock on wood.) We have tried to make wise choices in cat trees (ones harder to fall off of) and place our couch close to the wall so if she falls off the windowsill she will land on it etc. There is no way we can completely safeguard every inch, but we do our best. @mommasphynx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mommasphynx , Awh we are here for you ! You are in the best of company here with the lair family -
You are Never alone -

Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch -
It's a womderful supportive caring community

Positve vibes! I am sure others will chime in too

Please when you get a chance share pics of Prince and his brother
What is his name ?

Ps - my dog is having seizures -"idiopathic seizures " started a few months ago -
I know excactly the feelings you share

mommasphynx

Lairian
Our vet said with idiopathic epilepsy they never know what triggers it. I have found no rhyme or reason and cannot make any connection if there is something triggering it. The last one we saw was back in August (knock on wood.) We have tried to make wise choices in cat trees (ones harder to fall off of) and place our couch close to the wall so if she falls off the windowsill she will land on it etc. There is no way we can completely safeguard every inch, but we do our best. @mommasphynx
I guess we will really have to look at "baby proofing" the house to ensure he is safe. Thank you so very much.

mommasphynx

Lairian
@mommasphynx , Awh we are here for you ! You are in the best of company here with the lair family -
You are Never alone -

Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch -
It's a womderful supportive caring community

Positve vibes! I am sure others will chime in too

Please when you get a chance share pics of Prince and his brother
What is his name ?

Ps - my dog is having seizures -"idiopathic seizures " started a few months ago -
I know excactly the feelings you share
I will upload some pictures this weekend of my beautiful boys, Oliver (Ollie) and Prince (Pooh ... nick named for the tell tale "streaks" he leaves on a rug ... LOL) Thanks again so very much.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Look forward to Your journey with us with lots of pics and tales of Ollie Amd Prince poo :)

Lol I discovered Krud cutter in the red spray bottle to clean small oops
I even spray sheets before laundry
I like non toxic lol unlike Sphynx butt

"About Krud Kutter First of all, Krud Kutter is manufactured by Supreme Chemicals, a company that has been in business for the past 25 years. They are also dedicated to environmental issues so all Krud Kutter products are biodegradable, non-toxic, water-based, and VOC compliant.Dec 27, 2008"

Keep us updated often on Prince!

mommasphynx

Lairian
Look forward to Your journey with us with lots of pics and tales of Ollie Amd Prince poo :)

Lol I discovered Krud cutter in the red spray bottle to clean small oops
I even spray sheets before laundry
I like non toxic lol unlike Sphynx butt

"About Krud Kutter First of all, Krud Kutter is manufactured by Supreme Chemicals, a company that has been in business for the past 25 years. They are also dedicated to environmental issues so all Krud Kutter products are biodegradable, non-toxic, water-based, and VOC compliant.Dec 27, 2008"

Keep us updated often on Prince!
Hmmm, will have to see if Krud Kutter is available in Canada??

Prince has not had another episode this weekend, knock on wood, but I will keep you updated! Thank you again for the warm welcome! Prince and Ollie respectively.
O & P.jpg

Marvins Mom

Lairian
Hi everyone! It’s Marvin’s mom! I too am from Canada and experienced somewhat similar episodes last summer - many episodes in a 3 week period. We rushed Marvin to the vet a few times but he was fine and back to normal when the vet finally saw him. My Marvin actually belongs to my daughter and I babysat him for a few months. All of a sudden the episodes stopped. We are unsure why. We think it could have been because we were letting him go outside ( supervised ). We stopped letting him outside - and the seizures ( if that is what they were ) stopped. Cross our fingers!! My daughter had a cardiologist appointment booked but cancelled it after the seizures stopped. He has been fine for months - and I am still ‘babysitting’ him. I can tell you more specifics about the episodes - but am traveling abroad at the moment! I will respond in a week! Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back