Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is eating raw half-frozen still dangerous?

TheZu

Lairian
So I let Missy eat what she wants. I do limit her portions at a time to 1/4 a cup (shes gotten hiccups ahe eats so fast). Shes never had a problem with the raw food and eats it cold. She isnt picky, she's been on raw her whole life so I'm guessing that's why.

My only concern though, is that she'll also eat stuff if it's still half frozen. Now, I dont usually put out half frozen stuff. I have a system so she always has thawed food. But today it just wasn't thawed as much (my husband said he took out a puck but forgot so I took it out later then normal).

I'm just wondering, is it dangerous for them to eat it that cold? Even if shes totally willing, I dont want to shock her system or harm her.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good question and I don't kniw the answer. When we as human eat something half frozen we can pain our tummy or can get diarrhea. Can imagine it work the same for cats. But don't know for sure.

If it only happened once I don't think it will be causing any harm.

@Xandria knows a lot about raw food so maybe she has advice

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My thoughts on this, and Hubby and I have discussed this extensively (LOL) is that if the cats will eat it, why not? My crew go through phases of "I want it warm", and "I want it cool", and "I want it really cold". I've never seen any adverse effects. That said, I will put half frozen raw in one stainless bowl, then insert that into another bowl of hot (not boiling) water, and break it apart with a fork. It thaws pretty quick that way.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I cannot really answer your question but in my opinion our sphynx babies are realllyyy fussy ! So I’m guessing if they had a problem they wouldn’t eat it !
You will know with them if they get a tummy upset I think
Sorry I can’t help
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don’t think it’s a problem with regards to be dangerous- there is obviously no increase in bacteria level with it being a bit frozen, it’s more for comfort and preventing adverse gastrointestinal upsets from having cold food in their tummies.

My boyfriend’s cat is super greedy and has frequently eaten barely thawed raw food off the counter when it’s actually still crunchy with ice! He’s never had any tummy upsets. He now has to put the food on top of the fridge to thaw so Yoda can’t steal it!

Carlos Franco

Lairian
I just took my Farah our sphynx kitten to the vet for her first check-up. When the vet asked how I was feeding the raw diet she recommended that I warm up the food. She reminded me that when cats kill and eat prey their body temperature is not frozen. Hope this helps. I usually microwave Farah's food for 12 seconds before adding the supplements. Hope this helps.

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If Uber's food is too cold he gets a little tummy ache. We always warm it just a bit by drizzling hot water on top and stirring it well. When we set it down for him it is usually at room temperature.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida will eat fully frozen if I let her. I try not to let it come to that, but I have had a couple time when I have had to. Mostly I don’t like to because she drags it around the house when frozen. If she can get her food out of the bowl she is sooo happy.

Back