Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is his saggy belly normal?

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
Normal and part of the breed standard!

My vet loves to see how saggy Haji's belly is. She always says "Oh, thats a good sphynx right there!"

I think a better measure of if your kitty is a bit overweight is the overall weight of the cat, not so much where the fat lies.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love the Sphynx pooch. I call it her Buddha Belly.

Also, if you look at from behind (down at her level) on Stella, it almost looks like utters :D

Brooke

Banned
Hi, I have two nine month old sphynx and the male is getting a saggy lower belly? He is not fat at all and very active and was wondering if this is normal?

Thanks
tess

Hi Tess,
Yes, it's standard for Sphynx to have a round pot belly! Browse through the photo albums here and you'll see many pudgy bellies. My girl, Helen, has the flabbiest belly of all my cats. Her brother, Walter, is starting to get a little squishy in the gut (I just noticed as I was typing this :LOL:) but Nelson and Mandy don't have any pudge on their bellies. As long as he is active and maintaining a healthy weight, this is perfectly normal. Just like us humans, they collect extra fat on their stomachs, especially as they get older...:Angry:

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bluto's flabby belly rests on his hind paws when he sits! It's too funny but every time I go to get the camera he moves - I think he knows what I'm trying to take a picture of! :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Bluto's flabby belly rests on his hind paws when he sits! It's too funny but every time I go to get the camera he moves - I think he knows what I'm trying to take a picture of! :LOL:

Helen's flab also rests on her back paws when she sits. Notice in this photo how she's skillfully maneuvered her tail in front of it to hide the flab! Typical woman! :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 816

tessblack

Banned
Thanks for all the replies, that makes me feel better. I guess I am just paranoid about these things because I am new to the breed and with my hairy cats it hid so much.

Thanks everyone.

tess

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Helen's flab also rests on her back paws when she sits. Notice in this photo how she's skillfully maneuvered her tail in front of it to hide the flab! Typical woman! :LOL:

She she has A complex you have to stop calling that girl fat:Woo::Laugh:

CrestieRsq

Lairian

So does Frankie's....I call it his Penguin pooch because it reminds of how penguins lift that pouch of flab up to keep their eggs & chicks warm. Frankie does not appreciate it at all when momma plays with his penguin pooch and makes sure he reminds me with a few love bits that he's quite proud of his gut.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So does Frankie's....I call it his Penguin pooch because it reminds of how penguins lift that pouch of flab up to keep their eggs & chicks warm. Frankie does not appreciate it at all when momma plays with his penguin pooch and makes sure he reminds me with a few love bits that he's quite proud of his gut.

Penguin pooch :LOL: I love it! That's a perfect name!

Back